replacing cv joints? [Archive] - CORSA-C|UK

: replacing cv joints?

Hoops369
12-08-2008, 09:06
i recently got my car back for its MOT and everything was fine :) passed fine

but it said that the cv joints are starting to degrade. i dont like taking my car tot he garage if its something i can do my self. so i was wondering , how easy is it to replace the cv joint or is it something im gonna have to fork out for?

thanks
matt?

mr corsa
12-08-2008, 11:58
ive got my times down to both drive shafts out of the car in 15 mins but ive had lots of practice :lol:

l33thomas
12-08-2008, 12:47
I've changed my cv joints and gaitors a few times now, probably take about and hour each side if you take your time, getting the driveshafts out is easy enough I struggle to get the circlip of the damn CV joint, just never seems to want to come off...

so to answer your question as long as you have half an ounce of common sense and you'll be fine doing it yourself, if I can do it anyone can...

Hoops369
12-08-2008, 13:12
what do u have to do then, is it just a matter of unclipping then and that sort of thing, i how the work and all that but i dont know how to take it apart

worth buying a haynes manual u think?

l33thomas
12-08-2008, 15:53
CV joint you will buy as a complete unit, you need to unclip a circlip that holds it onto the driveshaft, I think its just me but I have a nightmare trying to get them out of the way to slide the driveshaft off, then its simple grease up the new one, slide back on and reverse what you did to take everything off.

you could buy a haynes manual but to be honest, everything I look at in there seems to be the long way of doing everything, so it stays in the cupboard now until im really stuck.

Hoops369
13-08-2008, 16:39
CV joint you will buy as a complete unit, you need to unclip a circlip that holds it onto the driveshaft, I think its just me but I have a nightmare trying to get them out of the way to slide the driveshaft off, then its simple grease up the new one, slide back on and reverse what you did to take everything off.

you could buy a haynes manual but to be honest, everything I look at in there seems to be the long way of doing everything, so it stays in the cupboard now until im really stuck.
lol at the haynes manual :lol:

nice one for that mate, ill have a go when i get the joints

dont kno how much they are do ya ?

thanks
matt

l33thomas
13-08-2008, 19:16
I think i paid about 35 ea for them last time I changed them, that was from a local parts shop and not vauxhall mind.

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 00:29
oh right cool nice one mate :thumbs:

ozzy sxi
14-08-2008, 09:30
I think i paid about 35 ea for them last time I changed them, that was from a local parts shop and not vauxhall mind.

how much you get them fitted?

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 09:37
im gonna do mine ma self, purely cos i know the garage wherever i go will make me pay! untill im up to my nackers in it

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 09:37
ill put a tutorial up when i do it if ya like :)

ozzy sxi
14-08-2008, 09:38
cool mate, DIY is good if you can do it why not

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 09:40
i always service my car my self and if anythng needs doing ill do it :)

unless its taking the whole engine to bits, cos i know i would **** that up :lol:

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 09:41
how much should a repitable garage charge to change your cv joints as i not long had mine changed but the steerings gone all heavy again and uses petrol like it use to before i had them re done.

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 09:44
how much should a repitable garage charge to change your cv joints as i not long had mine changed but the steerings gone all heavy again and uses petrol like it use to before i had them re done.
my mate had his pads, drive shafts and cv joints all changed on his 106 and that cost him 150

dont know if thats gonna be any different with a corsa :thumbs:

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 09:48
my mate had his pads, drive shafts and cv joints all changed on his 106 and that cost him 150

dont know if thats gonna be any different with a corsa :thumbs:

i had my all my front break parts changed and cv joints replaced and that cost me 70

the garage didnt have the right size cv joint for one side so they cut the old one up and put a bigger one over it, bit of a bodge job 2bh, if its that side that has gone do you think i should complain, and anyone know were i can get the cv joints from so they just do the fitting?

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 10:37
yes complain! defo if u take it to a garage they should do it properly!

ozzy sxi
14-08-2008, 10:51
specialy if they told you they changed the joint when realy they changed the rubber gaitor as you told me earlier

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 11:24
from what i recall theres an inner and an outer cv joint or am i mistaken? if i was to order the kit how many do i need to order 2 for the front or 4 as theres to ends im all confused :(

ozzy sxi
14-08-2008, 11:26
hmmm i think theres only on set of cv joints and thats it, what your talking about is inner/outer bushes, teher something different, call vauxhall and makesure with them before you order but im sure theres only one set

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 11:27
hmmm i think theres only on set of cv joints and thats it, what your talking about is inner/outer bushes, teher something different, call vauxhall and makesure with them before you order but im sure theres only one set

your probly right ill put that down to a noob mistake, did u not get my p,m mate?

ozzy sxi
14-08-2008, 11:34
ye mate i replied to that earlier...did you not get it?

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 11:35
ye mate i replied to that earlier...did you not get it?

nah i never got it for some reason so i sent it again. which ebay one u think was best then mate top or bottom?

ozzy sxi
14-08-2008, 11:39
did you get it now?

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 11:46
did you get it now?

got same one over and over again, i sent u a fresh new one fella

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 11:55
cv joint kit is now on order :)

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 11:59
cv joint kit is now on order :)
which one did u order mate?

got a part number or anything?

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 12:11
which one did u order mate?

got a part number or anything?

orderd it of ebay mate. you can get one of there, they do kits ranging from 10-40 depending what your after, im still waiting for confirmation from the place i bought mine, when i get it you want me to let uno if there any gd to buy from fella?

l33thomas
14-08-2008, 12:32
how much you get them fitted?

I fitted it myself, not sure how much a garage would charge, probably about 2 hours labour per side I would have thought

i had my all my front break parts changed and cv joints replaced and that cost me 70

the garage didnt have the right size cv joint for one side so they cut the old one up and put a bigger one over it, bit of a bodge job 2bh, if its that side that has gone do you think i should complain, and anyone know were i can get the cv joints from so they just do the fitting?

I would assume you mean CV Gaitor or boot as its otherwise know, won't be able to cut up a CV joint as it is steel and is designed for each car.

from what i recall theres an inner and an outer cv joint or am i mistaken? if i was to order the kit how many do i need to order 2 for the front or 4 as theres to ends im all confused :(

There are inner and outer Joints but they are totally different so don't just order 4 of them lol. the cv joints are locked onto each end of the driveshafts, one end is fixed to the hub and the other goes into the gearbox.

The below image is an example, you will notice the ends are different. The end with the nut on there is where it sits in your Hub and the other end fits into the gearbox.
http://www.jncracing.co.uk/pic/driveshafts.jpg

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 12:40
good post mate, thanks for the help :thumbs:

JCSXI
14-08-2008, 12:41
I fitted it myself, not sure how much a garage would charge, probably about 2 hours labour per side I would have thought

I would assume you mean CV Gaitor or boot as its otherwise know, won't be able to cut up a CV joint as it is steel and is designed for each car.

There are inner and outer Joints but they are totally different so don't just order 4 of them lol. the cv joints are locked onto each end of the driveshafts, one end is fixed to the hub and the other goes into the gearbox.

The below image is an example, you will notice the ends are different. The end with the nut on there is where it sits in your Hub and the other end fits into the gearbox.
http://www.jncracing.co.uk/pic/driveshafts.jpg

yeah i ment cv gaiter fella soz ive orderd some only 2 one for each sideto replace my old one, surelly it cant take 2 hours a side to fit, ive had mine done before just on one side and it took about 45 mins to take of and put back together by a mate he only charged 15 aswell

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 12:46
2 hours does seem quite a whiel espeically for each side

l33thomas
14-08-2008, 13:10
2 hours does seem quite a whiel espeically for each side

Most garages should do it in under an hour, depends how easy your hub etc is to get off, I know one of mine was a nightmare to get off, welded on because of the heat... so I just said 2 hours as a rough guide. best bet really is to get a quote from a garage for the work.

Hoops369
14-08-2008, 16:02
just ring em up i recon, ask whats involved and how long

im doing mine ma self :thumbs:

m1ke823146
18-08-2008, 21:34
theres a universal joint on each end of the drive shaft (inner and outer) both cover by rubber gaiters, so 2 drive shafts = 4 boots, nb the inner and outer cv joints are identical except for the 1.0 ltr models, if your just replacing the gaiters you only have to remove one cv joint (hub end) either side, the second gaiter can be slid along from the transmission and off the exposed end,

Hoops369
19-08-2008, 01:10
cheers for that mate, saves me ****ing it up lol

spikedjack
19-08-2008, 14:08
i did one for the first time yesterday in about an hour

Hoops369
19-08-2008, 14:29
i did one for the first time yesterday in about an hour
easy then?

spikedjack
20-08-2008, 03:04