1.3 cdti starting [Archive] - CORSA-C|UK

: 1.3 cdti starting

HazzyP
23-08-2007, 08:38
it never starts first time, it turns over and chugs and usually starts on the 3rd "fire" is this normal or do I need my plugs looking at? Used to driving a petrol so have no knowledge of diesels.

Doris
23-08-2007, 08:40
When you say 'plug's I hope you don't mean spark plugs. :|

ChrisP
23-08-2007, 09:02
Diesels dont have spark plugs..

marky mark
23-08-2007, 09:04
Glow plugs

matt clarke
23-08-2007, 09:04
it never starts first time, it turns over and chugs and usually starts on the 3rd "fire" is this normal or do I need my plugs looking at? Used to driving a petrol so have no knowledge of diesels.

When you say 'plug's I hope you don't mean spark plugs. :|

:lol: Some 1.3s have trouble starting, speak to babybluemaxer he had a fair bit of trouble with his combo. I think vauxhall changed a fair few parts for him.

cdti
23-08-2007, 09:09
well with mine, i didnt turn the key and start right away. you have to let the glow plugs 'warm up' first. turn the key to the bit when all the dash lights come on. leave for 5 seconds. then start. see if that helps.

matt clarke
23-08-2007, 09:13
well with mine, i didnt turn the key and start right away. you have to let the glow plugs 'warm up' first. turn the key to the bit when all the dash lights come on. leave for 5 seconds. then start. see if that helps.

yup :thumbs: should do this with most modern cars really for the self diagnostics, especially the diesels as you said.

Smithy-2006
23-08-2007, 09:14
my 1.3 doesnt start first time all the time either, even if i do let the last lights go out. Vauxhall said they will look into it so ill let you know

matt clarke
23-08-2007, 09:15
if it helps mine is fine! But i'm now worried.

ChrisP
23-08-2007, 09:19

:thumbs: Had to do this with one of our work vans once. Wouldnt start properly so put the ignition on for 10 seconds and started fine!

Mart
23-08-2007, 09:24
Glow plug needs changing mate, mine used to do this and still does sometimes :thumbs:

Smithy-2006
23-08-2007, 09:25
Would the glow plugs come under warrenty?

Doris
23-08-2007, 09:26
Yesum.

spid3r1987
23-08-2007, 09:27
thats because the glowplugs have to warm up first

when you say wont start first time, how long are you waiting once putting the key in
and how long are you TRYING to start the engine?

Clellandmc
23-08-2007, 14:58
thats because the glowplugs have to warm up first

when you say wont start first time, how long are you waiting once putting the key in
and how long are you TRYING to start the engine?

I don't let mine warm up, I was told that on the current VX diesels it would be fine not to do it.

Dicko1
23-08-2007, 15:20
I drive a 1.3 CDTI and I encountered what I thought was a 'problem' when I first got the car. It seems the engine just needs time for the diesel to warm up I suppose, or so I assume. I always half turn the key, wait 5 seconds and then start it.

Always fine with me.

****o.

Steve_02
23-08-2007, 15:21
u have to let glowplugs warm up.

U cant just turn the key like a petrol engine.

corsafletchcdti
23-08-2007, 15:38
u will ned new glow plugs, mine did this all the time and took it to vaux!! changed glow plugs it was fine!!

partridge_88
23-08-2007, 15:47
Awww man is dt why dem super spark 4's i got off ebay dnt fit ma derv bummmer..

note : i didnt actually buy any

HazzyP
24-08-2007, 09:09
Awww man is dt why dem super spark 4's i got off ebay dnt fit ma derv bummmer..

note : i didnt actually buy any

I meant glow plugs lads not sparkys!

I literally put the key in, turn half way then after 1-2 seconds turn and hold for about 5 secs before it fires up.

cheers for help lads.

Doris
24-08-2007, 09:11
Mine fires up straight away (1.7 so no idea if that has a slightly different starting 'system' to the 1,3). Did this morning and it was bloody freezing, misty etc.....

Does the glowplug indicator on C's indicate a fault or the fact that they're in operation? 'cos on the Peugeots I've driven it indicated that the plugs were 'on' and went out maybe after 5 minutes or so on cold mornings.

:thumbs:

Mart
24-08-2007, 09:22
u have to let glowplugs warm up.

U cant just turn the key like a petrol engine.

Exactly. Due to the nature of a Diesel engine it relys (sp) on heat and compression. Without the heat, the fuel is hard to explode like it should.

At the end of the day, whats wrong with waiting 10 seconds or so for the Glow Plug light to go out before starting :|

Doris
24-08-2007, 09:23
Some people could have a nice fiddle in those 10 seconds as well.

Clellandmc
24-08-2007, 09:35
Mine fires up straight away (1.7 so no idea if that has a slightly different starting 'system' to the 1,3). Did this morning and it was bloody freezing, misty etc.....

That's what I'm thinking (read hoping) :|

Clellandmc
31-08-2007, 12:07
Exactly. Due to the nature of a Diesel engine it relys (sp) on heat and compression. Without the heat, the fuel is hard to explode like it should.

At the end of the day, whats wrong with waiting 10 seconds or so for the Glow Plug light to go out before starting :|

Been told by VX yesterday that you don't need to leave it before starting the engine, the newer diesel engines don't have a problem.

partridge_88
31-08-2007, 17:29
I have a light that comes on for about 1 second after I turn the key which is the glow plug light.

But i still leave it about 6-8 seconds before starting the engine.

I also dont take it above 2.5k until the engine is at 90 degrees and also allow the engine to idle for around 10-15 seconds before shutting it off as this can help protect the life of the turbo.

cdti_sri
01-09-2007, 00:04
My 1.3 90ps Corsa D hire car is a pain in the ass to start. When it does fire up it churns out tons of smoke then runs like a bag of shat. but then running on strawberry does that i guess.

welshtiger
09-10-2007, 14:03
did you have any joy off vauxhall ??

mine is on a 04 plate, never had any problems until recently so first thought was new glow plugs.

normally you would pay 20 to 25 quid for glow plugs but have been quoted over 40 quid for the 4..

have seen some on ebay, but does anyone know the part number to make sure ?

Also for the last 6 months or so, i have had a clunking sound on passengers side when going over, even small bumps.

Have changed ball joints, complete wish bone and even the short bar that comes off the strut but still its there.

Anyone else had this problem, think its new shocker or springs at least.

welshtiger
11-10-2007, 10:41
Right firstly :yippe:

after reading through the topic and finding out that users dont just wait til the diesel light goes out but aprox 10 seconds before turning it over it seems to be very good advice.

Will still change glow plugs though

Also i had the maintenance light on but didn't know why, but for some reason it has gone out.

mvdevelopments
12-10-2007, 00:05
hi guys sorry to write up a completely different answer, when i use to work at vauxhall the 1.3cdti engines suffered from egr valve problems causing poor starting/no revving up.

there was a rework on the vehicles for poor starting that the engine ecu requires updating so a egr self cleaning programme is added if this doesnt work, the egr needs replacing under warranty.

hope thats helped you guys

HazzyP
12-10-2007, 11:27
correct for 10 points sir!

This is what vauxhall done for me, reprogged ECU and replaced EGR valve under warranty. Happy days now!

welshtiger
09-11-2007, 13:53
the service light which comes on, car with spanner is actually something to do with the glow plugs

well that is what i was told by someone in vauxhall.

have changed the glow plugs like i said and vauxhall did 3 recalls which i cant recall what they were.

still having problems starting in morning so i can only guess it might be the heater relay timer or may chaeck if this ECU or EGR has been done.

welshtiger
15-11-2007, 13:08
Now instead of waiting for vauxhall to check power to glow plugs etc, i did an electrical test myself

power going to the glow plugs is fine so not relay, checked glow plugs with earth and life to see if they glow and yes they were ok.

it does seem that if the car has been left for a few hours, like over night etc.. it turns over and over, as if there were no diesel. ( but if only left for anf hour or so, it starts ok )

could this lead to the question of air getting into the lines and the diesel going back down into the tank ??

after much thought, it seems like i have been having problems since i changed the fuel filter, so maybe its a dodgy fuel filter or there is some air being sucked into the system.

if there is no instant fuel to start the car, then i suppose it would just turn over until it actually starts wouldn't it ??

Another question is.. when turning the ignition on, it does pump fuel into the engine ( have checked by taking fuel pipe off filter housing ) so what else can be done.. i will change filter to put mind at rest but the seal was not in the box when buying filter so need to go back and get a replacement.