Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To De-Rubstrip/De-Badge...

67K views 153 replies 88 participants last post by  Itzkyky 
#1 · (Edited)
There seems to be a billion threads on people wondering how to take off there rub strips and badges. Its pretty simple. There is already a tutorial on how to take off the badges on the back so I won't really go in to much detail regarding how to de-badge.

--------

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, PLEASE HAVE PATIENCE WHILST DOING THIS AND DO NOT RUSH ANYTHING I LEARNT THE HARD WAY.

--------

What you will need:

A hairdryer/heat gun (be careful with a heat gun however as this may damage your paint work),
Autoglym Intensive Bug and Tar Remover (£5.99ish),
A cloth or a rag of some sort,
A credit/debit card of some sort.

--------

Firstly you want to be heating the rub strip with the hair dryer or whatever you are using. I normally heat it for about a minute but you can for up to about three minutes although be careful that you will not be damaging your paintwork. Get your card and place it behind the rub strip, pry it and hopefully the first bit of the rub strip will want to come off. Whilst heating it continue all the way down til you have done the whole strip you are taking off. TAKE YOUR TIME AS IF YOU PULL IT OFF WITH FORCE IT MAY RIP YOUR PAINTWORK APART.

You will now be left with glue residue. I tend to soak the glue residue in the bug and tar remover for about five minutes. This makes it so much easier to get the glue off. Just keeping going at it with your cloth and the remover and in time it will be gone. People may also choose to use vinegar, WD-40, petrol etc.

You may then notice that after you have taken the rub strip off and taken off all the glue residue it leaves you with a shade of white. This is condensation don't worry you have not damaged your paint. Pouring boiling water over it solves it eventually. Basically you want to apply heat to it by using a hair dryer or using the water. This will go within time as it is just condensation so if you want to call it a day you can. This does not happen over night however and may take weeks depending on the weather.

After all this you may still be able to see where the badges and/or the strips were, a good polishing of your car should sort it.

This tutorial can be applied for badges as well however there will be no condensation marks under your badges. Under the Vauxhall Griffin there will be two holes so be aware that you will have to fill these in if you choose to take off your griffin. Your rub strips and your other badges will not have anything under them.

Please take your time doing your rub strips as they have been known to rip paint off if done rapidly.

Some people also find that there cars have not been painted under the rub strips or that there are basically paint defects under there rub strips. This is a problem that can't really be sorted by yourself as it was previously painted wrong. A door will have to be replaced for around £70 second hand or a respray of about £150 professionally. Costly. An alternative method is to get new rub strips and colour code them to the same colour as your car. Thus protecting your door again and will be less noticeable however people may not find it as appealing.

--------

Hope this helps, take you time doing your rub strips, heat the glue well before applying force to remove the rub strips.

Let me know if I have missed something.

See less See more
#78 ·
Hi ive got a star silver corsa so will be giving this a go at the weekend, hopefully it all goes well. Anyone got any tips or has anyone done it to this coloured car before? Just wondering if there will be any odd paint marks behind it to be aware off. Cheers.

#82 ·
Just get a rotary polisher ect if you wanna get it done fast.

Follow the above tut until your left with the glue residue, you could soak it if you want.
Then just put the rotary polisher on it with a polishing disc but without any polish and it will just melt and fling the glue off.

Easiest way imo.
I realised this after trying hot water, hair dryer, t-cut, and petrol.

#85 ·
all i got to say is.. de badged mine, the most easy thing ever! had to use two cards like as the melted basicly, and moved it into the garage out the wind. found that the words were faded into the paint so used silver t-cut and buffed it (Y) looks mint now and no marks so next week i'll start on the rub strips (Y)

oh and the auto glym bug and tar remover is the biz!

#88 ·
Hi I've taken the strips of my 01Sri, the double sided tape wasn't a prob but the condensation marks look more like lacker that hasn't set properly on mine? Tried boiling water but no luck yet? Any other ideas other then kettle?
It's a Y reg. Just accept it.

#97 ·
hey guys, half way done with my derubstripping on my 5 door but im now left with white strips down the side where the strip has been. tried T cutting a little bit and its faded slightyly with that but is there any ideas of how i can get it to fade? looks all cloudy where the glue hasnt been :(

#101 ·
Rght, so i've had a nightmare removing rub strips! Its took paint off my car. I dont mean to sound dramatic, its not the whole of the side of the car thats missing paint. it is only about 10mm chunk. Still quite a chunk though! Its really annoying me, wouldnt mind knowing if this means a whole new rub down, re-spray ect for the door......or what. tried touch up paint but....no good, the layer is too thick. I'm only a young apprentice so ideally i dont fancy parting with £120+ for a whole door to be sprayed for a little mark. But then again i hate them horrible bump strips so if theres anyway around it....it would be a great help! Otherwise i'm going to have to put them strips on :( Not into colour coding either, i know this in another option. P.S I've just read the front of this thread (I CANT STRESS ENOUGH.....) Now i feel like a top idiot! So abuse is welcome....i'll take it on the chin!

#102 ·
De-badged my 2001 reg corsa today. Results look amazing. Also de-wipered. Used the AG tar remover took a while and after many soaks it came up rather well. This is my first progress on the car and i will start a thread soon. Going to give the rub strips a go tomorrow if its nice. Depending on what it might look like underneath...

How would i go about color coding my door handles and front/rear bumper strips and wheel arches? Or should i leave my wheel arches black? Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.