Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

replacing cv joints?

4K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  Hoops369 
#1 ·
i recently got my car back for its MOT and everything was fine :) passed fine

but it said that the cv joints are starting to degrade. i dont like taking my car tot he garage if its something i can do my self. so i was wondering , how easy is it to replace the cv joint or is it something im gonna have to fork out for?

thanks
matt?

#3 ·
I've changed my cv joints and gaitors a few times now, probably take about and hour each side if you take your time, getting the driveshafts out is easy enough I struggle to get the circlip of the damn CV joint, just never seems to want to come off...

so to answer your question as long as you have half an ounce of common sense and you'll be fine doing it yourself, if I can do it anyone can...

#5 ·
CV joint you will buy as a complete unit, you need to unclip a circlip that holds it onto the driveshaft, I think its just me but I have a nightmare trying to get them out of the way to slide the driveshaft off, then its simple grease up the new one, slide back on and reverse what you did to take everything off.

you could buy a haynes manual but to be honest, everything I look at in there seems to be the long way of doing everything, so it stays in the cupboard now until im really stuck.

#6 ·
CV joint you will buy as a complete unit, you need to unclip a circlip that holds it onto the driveshaft, I think its just me but I have a nightmare trying to get them out of the way to slide the driveshaft off, then its simple grease up the new one, slide back on and reverse what you did to take everything off.

you could buy a haynes manual but to be honest, everything I look at in there seems to be the long way of doing everything, so it stays in the cupboard now until im really stuck.
lol at the haynes manual :lol:

nice one for that mate, ill have a go when i get the joints

dont kno how much they are do ya ?

thanks
matt

#14 ·
how much should a repitable garage charge to change your cv joints as i not long had mine changed but the steerings gone all heavy again and uses petrol like it use to before i had them re done.

#19 ·
from what i recall theres an inner and an outer cv joint or am i mistaken? if i was to order the kit how many do i need to order 2 for the front or 4 as theres to ends im all confused :(

#35 ·
theres a universal joint on each end of the drive shaft (inner and outer) both cover by rubber gaiters, so 2 drive shafts = 4 boots, nb the inner and outer cv joints are identical except for the 1.0 ltr models, if your just replacing the gaiters you only have to remove one cv joint (hub end) either side, the second gaiter can be slid along from the transmission and off the exposed end,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.