User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pictures of fixing handbrake cable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pictures of fixing handbrake cable

does anyone have any advise of tightening handbrake cable or even some pics of what to do?
    with handbrake fully on drive it runs away so have to leave it in gear

its a fairly new cable as snapped on the drive around 3 months ago then car was left stood then i had it braught here and now it wont work,
    think it worked abit until i drove off as wheels started to seize up then it wont bit at all now,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Corsa-C.co.uk
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny enough Iv'e changed both of mine today as they were frayed and verging on snapping, all you do to tighten it or to release the cable to change it, remove the gaiter around the handbrake and on the passenger size of the handbrake there should be a small nut on a thread, If it tightened proplerly you should here 3-4 clicks and half to aroound 3/4 ich of thread should be showing when the bolt is tightened give or take abit if you cable has stretched. Tighten it so both drums spin freely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgzulu View Post
    Funny enough Iv'e changed both of mine today as they were frayed and verging on snapping, all you do to tighten it or to release the cable to change it, remove the gaiter around the handbrake and on the passenger size of the handbrake there should be a small nut on a thread, If it tightened proplerly you should here 3-4 clicks and half to aroound 3/4 ich of thread should be showing when the bolt is tightened give or take abit if you cable has stretched. Tighten it so both drums spin freely.
    so best to jack it up then tighten until its working but drums are freely moving?
    as it dont bite at all and i pull it all the way up and car rolls off,sick of leaving it in gear TBH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate just wack it up on the jack and keep tightening, it can take a while as the bolt is awkward to get to and takes a while but you get there in the end. You should be able to tell straight away if it loose if you can waggle the cable at the spring connecter, comeing from the drum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok cheers,is it best to put car on a straight with bricks under and in gear
    or leave it on sloped drive in gear?
    also all the weight of it in gear wont hurt the cogs will it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to be honest I had to reverse the back wheels on bricks as the kit is to low for the jack to get under, then just jack it up, one side at a time, if in the right place it shouldn't do any damage as the suspension will take most the weight, would be better if you had ramps but its not that important. would be an idea to leave it in reverse gear with engine off to stop any roll and put a couple of stop bricks under the front wheels just to be safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers mate you been a great help
    BTW seen your car earlier on a post,looks sweet,

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information