Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

My Yamaha YZF-R125 Supersport Motorbike

41K views 103 replies 37 participants last post by  YamR125 
#1 ·
Well I harped on a year ago about learning to ride, and after getting a few little things in place I've finally been able to afford it and kicked myself in the arse to make it happen.

So a couple of weeks ago I walks into Flitwick Motorcycles and speak to Saul, got some amazing customer service, and picked it up on Saturday a week after doing my CBT.

59 plated, brand new, Yamaha YZF-R125 in Blue. Pics today from my very first "ride out" from Luton - Harpenden - Luton - Hitchin - Barton Le Clay - Luton.

Pics taken at Stockwood Park, Luton, courtesy of my iPhone 3.2 megapixel camera.

A couple of figures...
Displacement: 125cc
Performance: 15bhp
0-60: 14.5 second
Gears: 6 (1 down, 5 up)

It's a full size supersport bike, taking it's cues from the Yamaha R6 in the series and I think i've got the best colour of the 2009 colour scheme. I could of waited to get a white one, but that would be far too pretentious and wouldn't of suited those sexy L-Plates i'm sure you've seen wanged on the front & back of the bike.

Mods planned? Well, there's nothing to do really. I'd like black wheels with a yellow lip maybe, a pillion-passenger seat replacement cover in matching blue, remove the pillion pegs, carbon yoke and tank covers, maybe a double-bubble screen. That's about all the options i've got until I lose the L-Plates and maybe invest a few hundred in the Malossi Italian Cup engine kit to boost the cc up to 182 and performance up to 24bhp.

First impressions? Love it. Apart from the fact that running it in up to a max of 6k revs at the mo only takes me to 48mph :( I'm glad I got the little bugger, it'll nice and nimble around town for the journey to work and easy parking which is why I got it and plan to keep it for the full 3 years of 0% finance.

Opinions and suggestions welcome; i'll use this as my progress / lack of progress thread.

See less See more
#52 ·
Betty's first wash

A bit old now, but I gave Betty her first wash. So much easier than cleaning a car!

I've ordered my first mod to her today though. Some blanking plates so I can lose the pillion passenger pegs. No point having them when I can't take a pillion!

I think it'll be a tail tidy next, when I can spare a good 60 quid and then a tank pad & yoke cover at a good price of about 40 quid.

#55 ·
'Wow do they do 33bhp 125 peds?'

If they're tuned then yeah of course, then there's geared peds, i.e. cagiva mito's and rs125's etc.

But yeah sounds like you've done the right thing bud, that is definitely the best looking 125 on the market by a long way, and it's not like any 125 goes amazingly fast is it, although for a 4T those stats you gave seem pretty impressive. And it won't need rebuilding all the time like the 2T's!

Wish I owned one :)

#56 ·
Purchase Update

Just spent a few quid and ordered the following: Evo-Tech tail tidy, Pillion-Peg blanking plates, genuine yamaha yoke protector, genuine yamaha tank protector pad, pair blue/white xenon headlight bulbs.

Should all be here and ready to be fitted next week, when we get some half decent weather? I pray.

Pics when they come.

#61 ·
My bits came today:

Carbon Fibre Effect Yoke Protector; Genuine Yamaha Part and a Resin Tank Pad Protector another Genuine Yamaha Part.

Also came the Evo-Tech Tail Tidy and a pair of Pillion Peg Blanking Plates. The plate won't look in a stupid place on a stick of stupid plastic and the back end will be cleaned up with the loss of the redundant pillion pegs.

I might go fit them in a bit... If I fancy getting cold!

#62 ·
im hopefully gunna doi the same as u do my cbt soon as i loved my lil 50cc motrbike did 70mph on the straight at 75mph down hill :lol: im after a full power aprillia tho 33bhp one i prefer the smell and sound of 2 stroke then 4 stroke but if i cudnt buy the aprillia this would defo be the next bike of choice nice colour too bud yellow and black looked gd aswell i thought

#67 ·
Hi mate nice bike

Not a keen on the grey wheels though, reminds me of dull piaggio/gilera wheels ! (I am a scooterist :p)

You really need to cut down that backend and it will look sharp!
Front L plate looks SO gay lol Cant you stick it somewhere else?

I havent ridden my bike for a couple of weeks (Work horse) not the best weather for bikes huh :)

Ride safe,
I do like the look of those bikes!

#68 ·
Hi mate nice bike

Not a keen on the grey wheels though, reminds me of dull piaggio/gilera wheels ! (I am a scooterist :p)

You really need to cut down that backend and it will look sharp!
Front L plate looks SO gay lol Cant you stick it somewhere else?

I havent ridden my bike for a couple of weeks (Work horse) not the best weather for bikes huh :)

Ride safe,
I do like the look of those bikes!
Not keen on the silver myself either, i'm looking to get some of the black ones from the 2008 model bike and whack them on with some genuine yamaha blue rim-tape.

Tail Tidy will go on as soon as it warms up and I can get out into the garage. The L-Plates will stay where they are until I do my test. I'm just pretending they aren't there lol.

#70 ·
Biggish update

So I faced the cold, which actually werent' that bad, in my overalls and beanie hat and took to the bike with a spanner and some bits. I fitted my Tail Tidy and removed the pillion pegs. Here's some progress:

In bits - Betty being molested:

The end result:

Had to redrill some holes for my plate - thankgod for the sharpie pen:

Looking much better IMHO. Now waiting on from the postie some bright xenon bulbs for the headlights to replace the yellowy ones and some dark blue rim tape for the wheels.

Just trying to work out where/how to mount the damn reflector :\

#72 ·
Could get them powdercoated but we'll have to see. I'm considering spending a few quid and putting it into the paint shop to get the black plastics done in gloss black and fitting a blue rear hugger. Something for when i'm loaded and bored I guess.

#75 ·
lol I really am all to aware of the risks of driving and riding - I will take care believe me!

Knew it wouldnt be long before you started buying bits and taking it apart :) i really should have forced you to a bet when you denied this :p
Yeah I think we betted that I would mod it a bit and it was about a grand we bet, so I think i've won?

But i'll let you buy me a 182cc cylinder kit instead :p

#76 · (Edited)
New Headlight Bulbs

Standard bulbs were a bit yellowy to the look - so they promptly made way for a set of Xenon's.

My rim tape and headlights arrived:

Headlights Before:

Headlights After:

Rim tape to follow when I've cleaned her and then i'll get some PROPER pics. Maybe at the weekend when the weathers' better.

#80 ·
Betty got a Bath

She got ridden hard this morning and gathered even more dirt, so she got a bath when I got back in. Some decent pics for once to show off the new mods to the back end (tail tidy and pillion pegs being removed)

Doing a trip out this afternoon and then i'll get back and slap that rim tape on :doublethumbs:

#82 ·
It's half past one in the morning. So what do you do when you're bored as **** with far too much on your mind (i.e, grandad being in hospital for heart surgery!) and fancy doing something outrageous?

You put your rim tape on your bike.

I wasn't really sure how to do it properly until an easy technique was picked up upon via some Honda website. So here we go with some earlier before, and now after shots.

Before:

After:

I don't really know what to make of it. Thinking that MAYBE I should of got the 10mm over the 6mm? Never mind. It only cost about 4 quid.

#85 ·
Updated: lifted straight from my blog at www.yamahar125.com

Well I stumbled into the garage this morning, propped the bike up and fitted those R&G bobbins with spacers.

Have to say, i thought it was going to be ten times harder than what it was. Wasn't even complex - so no How To guide because the instructions you get are literally it. Only advice i'd impart would be when jacket up the back of the bike it's easiest and safest to lean the bike slightly against a wall (with a sponge to protect the bar end) and jack up under the shocker linkage. And remember to tighten the centre pin back up to 84Nm Torque

The bobbins and offset spacers fitted, and the paddock stand hooked up:

Bike on the paddock stand.

Next plan is to clean the bloody thing and replace a bit of rim tape that came away from the wheel, must've had a bit of grease underneath it. Then it's onto making up that little power-adapter for under the seat. But when it's clean i'll be getting the polish and the waxes out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.