Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub and Amp Advice Please Read First

22K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  andy-v 
G
#1 ·
Right many threads are popping up now im after a sub and amp etc on budgets hopefully this should help with giving you advice on a budget sub and amp or choosing your own setup
Choosing the correct subwoofer

Choosing the subwoofer is important as is choosing everything else In an audio system

When working on budgets you need to find the best power for price

When choosing a sub most spec will consists of these headings

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Frequency Response
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sensitivity/efficiency
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Impedance
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Power Handling, Peak
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Power Handling, RMS
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mounting Depth

Frequency Response
The Frequency Response is the input signal of the subwoofer and what it can handle

The response rating is from lowest and the highest of the subwoofer.

Sensitivity/efficiency
The sensitivity is the measure of how loud the subwoofer is along side the efficiently of the sub woofer, so the higher the sensitivity the better the sub will as it will be more efficient in theory so if a sub has 89db and then a different sub has 93 the sub with 93 will be more efficient

Impedance
The impedance is the subs resistance, this is measured in ohms, (and reading ohms law will be very helpful). this is the current of the sub when wiring to an amp which is very important so if a amp is 4 ohm stable then the sub has to be 4 ohm stable as you CANT wire into 2 ohm as this means to much current will be fed to the sub and knacker your equipment.

Power Handling, Peak
The peak power of the sub woofer is the maximum the sub can take at any given time.

Power Handling, RMS
This is the continuous power of the sub woofer, this is a rated power that the sub can handle so the higher the RMS the power powerful the sub is.

Mounting Depth
This is the depth the sub needs when being mounted in a enclosure

Subwoofer wiring

You can get 2 different types of subwoofer single voice coil and dual voice coil subs

Single voice coil have one set of terminals

Dual voice coil have two sets of terminals

This means you can wire the dual voice coils in more ways than a single voice coil sub.

Subwoofer Enclosures

Right there are different types of enclosures these are

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sealed
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ported
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bandbass

The generic information about these boxes’s

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sealed box — sealed box are a enclosure which are airtight. These are recommend for music that will require tight and accurate bass. Some say that a sealed box requires the sub to work harder which means it will require more power as there is no airflow to the sub

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ported box — Ported box these a box with a vent (port) in them, this will allow are to move in and out of the enclosure. This air flow ,means that it can reinforce low bass response swell as getting more output from the enclosure.

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bandpass box — Bandpass box’s these a a ported box designed for maximum performance. The sub is mounted inside the box where there is two sections inside a sealed and ported sections. The sound is forced from the sealed part into the port this can be configure to require frequencies.

Selecting your amplifier

When looking at sub and amp combos you need to make sure your amp will be able to power your sub at the given power ratings

In my opinion monoblock is the best amp for powering subwoofers as these are designed to give out mono signals.

A monoblock amp can power more than one sub, so in theory you can run two subs or more of one monoblock amp

Basically then when looking at an amp you need to make sure it can power sub at a given RMS power

You need to look for the correct impedance between the sub and amp

So if the amp will support 4 ohm or 2 ohm loads then it would be best to get a sub that can be wired into on of these impedances.

Ideas for budget subs and amps and suggestions here is some I have used/ seen recommended but at the end of the day it us you using the equipment and your choice on what you by these are just ideas

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4027.html
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3891.html
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4250.html

This is a guide and if anything goes wrong when fitting or anything ever went wrong with a brand suggested this is a guide and suggestion therefore you are at your own risk, I am not liable to anything it is only a guide, if you are in doubt, ask/search around

This can be left open for suggestions/discussions if i have missed anything let me know

Cheers

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
what about subwoofer sizing? i myself am actually curious, as to what size would handle what type of music better?

#3 ·
Frequency Response
The Frequency Response is the input OUTPUT? signal of the subwoofer and what it can handle

The response rating is from lowest FREQUENCY? and the highest FREQUENCY? of the subwoofer.

dont forget the use of the word frequency, confuses alot of folk
and the response is the subs output, not input

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.