Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

Oil Light Flickering

38K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  andy3660 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Corsa SXI as a cheap little run around. Being a 52 plate, it is showing a few problems and I was hoping someone could assist me in resolving them.

The main and most worrying of the issues is that the Oil light is flickering on the dash, usually when on tick over but also when accelerating upto 3000rpm.

I consulted this board a few weeks ago and found the Oil Pressure Switch was the likely culprit (also due to the enormous amounts of oil over my driveway) so I had that changed under the RAC Warranty. However, the oil light still flickers.

Has anyone come across this before? There is plenty of oil in the car, it is no longer leaking, but it's beginning to drive me around the bend.

Thanks in advanced,

Andy

#2 ·
oil light

i started to get the oil light flickering on tick over and i had to keep the revs up, this slowly over a week got worse and i needed to keep the revs up to 2500 at traffic lights

dont know why i done this but i removed the oil filter put the cap back on, started the car up and no light (strange)

i renewed the oil filter and this solved the problem

strange thing was i changed the oil and filter 3 weeks previously

try a filter for a few quid

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice all,

Typically, after posting on the board, the car again decided it wanted to drop all of the oil over my driveway. It has since been back into the garage where it was discovered the Oil Filter Housing had split and was leaking oil faster than it was going back in.

This has been now been replaced. The oil light is still flickering but no where near as bad as it was. I think I am a step closer to curing the problem. The car is also a lot quieter when starting up - all positive steps forward.

I will keep you all posted once my mechanic has had a look - he may come across the problem upon an inspection.

Andy

#6 ·
This happend to mine before it blew up :look:... low oil pressure.
changed the switch, thicker oil and new filter but it was just the same. it only did it after id been for a long drive or a blast on motorway.
i dont know a cure for this because it blew up on the motorway one night, i just put another engine init and this ones fine so far. **touch wood**

#7 ·
This has just started to happen to mine, so i have given it a oil/filter change and am hoping it will cure it (yn) But According to my know it all mechanic old man, he suggests that if it doesnt solve the problem it could mean the bearing in the engine could therefor be worn and the engine is 'on its last legs' so the likelyhood could mean it blows up much like Josh_holmes's ! :dontknow:

#8 ·
A mechanic friends of mine said that the engine was on the way out, and last friday out died. Very sad day, basically the previous owner mistakenly thought that the corsa was a ferrari and should be driven like one. The engine was held together with bostic glue, the sump had ben removed and stuck back on, and the alternator bearing was shagged along with the water pump.it's having a new engine fitted this week. At least then I can get the rest of the little problems fixed and it'll be a decent little car then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.