User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sealing a leaking brake servo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sealing a leaking brake servo?

Hey everyone, I have a really bad leak in my car the drivers footwell is pretty much always soaked. I have been told by quite a few people that it is common that the brake servo leaks quite a lot on these cars.

What is the best way that I can fix it at home. Would it be possible to do it without taking it off as that looks like a load of effort and I don't have that much skill with these sort of things :/

What I was thinking was to spray expanding foam down the back of the servo so that it fills it all around. When it expands out the sides I will then cut it off flush with the servo and then run silicon sealant around the outside of the servo?

Any advice and input would be great as I can't really afford to pay a garage to do it lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Corsa-C.co.uk
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya see, I wanted to do it without lying in my footwell and taking it all apart cus it is soaked lol and i have no idea what i am doing. If I brake it I have no car then either :S thanks for the input i will definitly show my dad and see whether he will be able to give me a hand with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is very common on corsas and you dont have to take of the server and you can do it from home...if you go to any DIY shop and buy a waterproof sealent and you will need to remove the wiper blades by undoing the 13mm nuts and the undo the 3 torque screws that hold on the scuttle panel. then just take off the scuttle panel and you can get to half of it but to make it loads easyer remove the battery and then the pollen filter housing. the you can get to it buy putting some sealent on your finger and following the seal around untill you have sealed it all but dont be scared to put loads on because you will only want to do it once i imagine lol. then after just rebuild and let it dry...i have done loads of these including my own corsas i have had 3 corsas and as soon as i got them i re-sealed the servo to save me the wet carpet lol hope this helps.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSXI- View Post
    it is very common on corsas and you dont have to take of the server and you can do it from home...if you go to any DIY shop and buy a waterproof sealent and you will need to remove the wiper blades by undoing the 13mm nuts and the undo the 3 torque screws that hold on the scuttle panel. then just take off the scuttle panel and you can get to half of it but to make it loads easyer remove the battery and then the pollen filter housing. the you can get to it buy putting some sealent on your finger and following the seal around untill you have sealed it all but dont be scared to put loads on because you will only want to do it once i imagine lol. then after just rebuild and let it dry...i have done loads of these including my own corsas i have had 3 corsas and as soon as i got them i re-sealed the servo to save me the wet carpet lol hope this helps.
    thats called bodging a job.
    if ya gonna do the job, may as well do it properly

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did it like that adam and worked perfect as you said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya see. As good as the proper way of doing it is, Not everyone has the tools, skills, or time to do it like that. The second way of just sealing around it with silicon sounds like a much easier way of doing it and will probably save me a good 2 hours of messing around with brake pipes and fluid.

Thanks everyone for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,great help all these posts re water in footwell.
    Has anyone gone as far as removing the servo mounting plate and fitted a new one ? Vauhall dealer says it's 5-6 hours work .
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not bodging, a lot of people don't gave the tools or mechanical knowledge on how to do it. And to take the brake servo out means undoing all the brake pipes witch means you have to bleed all four brakes and the servo and bleeding servos can be very tricky and you will find it will prpbly be easyer back bleeding it but also it means your without your car for a day and if something goes wrong it can be exspensive and to take to vauxhall witch will charge you a full days labour, maybe more at £45 an hour and they keep your car ages... Doing it that way is much easy, anybody can do it, it takes about 1 hour to an hour and a half to do and using silicone sealent is much better than the foam that vauxhall use because it'd not moisture based..the foam they use is Design to stay moistureised witch isn't a bad idea but when dirt and whatnot gets in there it drys up and deteriorates whereas using silicone sealent won't do that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont have to bleed the brakes to do the servo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi adam ..how would you charge me to resseal my servo fella,,i live in batley?????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam going to try and solve my water leak using your method will be trying to sort it this Friday coming 5th July have you any further points to solve it? Thanks all the best jln38 (Joe)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information