Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

Water Leak

11K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  buzza 
#1 ·
I was hunting around google because I have a problem with water leaking into the passenger footwell then remembered trusty Corsa-C Forums :)

To explain my dilema further, basically I found (especially while raining hard) some water coming in onto the driver side front mat on Y reg 2001 Corsa 3dr. Checked all door seals and was fine. On a particularly rainy day I tried following the source of the water to a boxy thing up behind the glovebox (glovebox dry) and water was dripping in through that, suggesting it was coming in from bonnet area.

After waiting about 1 1/4 hrs at my local Vauxhall dealer in East Midlands have been quoted £240 to replace BCM housing, which they 'think' is the cause of the leak - seal etc etc something like that.

£240 is a lot of money!

Just called Vauxhall Dealer by the same name about 15 mins away. £100 cheaper for the same job and they said it is very common. They will see whether the BCM housing has dislodged itself from its usual position and so whether they can fix it without needing a new housing i.e. cheaper cost to me. Seeing them later today...

I also saw the thing on another post about possibility of broken / damaged grommet so took my torx to the car glove compartment and looked up the bulkhead just now but couldnt see anything that looked damaged. There is a lot back there so wasnt sure exactly where to look!

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thank you!!
L

See less See more
#8 ·
Where do you live?? I'm currently in the East Midlands and the first VX garage quoted me £240 for replacing BCM housing itself.. then another more honest by the same co. name quoted me £100 less but wanted to see the car, naturally, for their verdict. Just ran it over there when it was pouring down hoping for a better diagnostic but typical there was no water dripping in!!! Anyway they said it will be an hour's labour for diagnostic (at Vx rates) then probably will be the seal so another half hr's labour + parts. They also said could be the grommet, or the windscreen seal leaking. They need it for 2 days to look at it properly and repair. Oh happy days!

L

#13 ·
I live in Luton, and the people I dealt with was Motorbodies. They shouldn't charge you no more than 84.60 to be honest, another lad on here had the same problem as said he was quoted about that much.

Serious suggestion, get it down to your local mechanic and see what they'll charge you to reseal the BCM. If that's where you've seen the water coming from, it's definately from there. I know that when mine was leaking water did travel a bit.

I got charged an hour's labour and 7.50 for the sealant.

Don't get ripped off :doublethumbs: and good luck!

#14 ·
Hey guys thanks for the advice. The annoyance is that I can't be sure its the BCM housing leaking. Could also be the windscreen they said or a number of things. Definitely not the door seals because I can see the area it is coming from. Not sure about taking the self-diagnostic route of pouring a bucket of water over the car and taking glovebox out etc to see where water comes in... car is booked into Vauxhall 'honest' dealership for Monday as opposed to the one trying to rip me off. They seem to have instilled confidence in me that they check to see what's up and not do any work that doesnt need doing. If I was certain it was that seal I'd get a mechanic just to do that... ah well I guess I will find out soon enough. Thanks again!

L

#16 ·
hi this is a common fault on the corsa c's. if there is water in your passenger footwell then it is almost definetly coming through the blower fan housing. there is a rubber seal located under the bonnet behind the battery area. after time these perish for some reason and water leaks in. if the problem is not sorted this could mean that after time your blowers will stop working as well and you'll be left with another big bill. the part required is inexpensive and takes about an hour max to sort out. hope this helps.

#17 ·
Thanks for the advice but I've had a lot of "most definitely's" in this thread and from vauxhall lol... blower seal, rubber grommet, BCM housing, window seal, .. etc...if I did all these repairs I would be faced with a very large bill!The second vx dealership (honest 1) I took it to had it for 2 days forcing water over the car (pressurised steam) etc but for some reason couldnt get it to leak any more. Which, while good, doesn't mean it wont happen in the future. As they could not diagnose the fault they did not want to replace anything that didnt need doing - unnecessary cost to me. Which was fine... had to pay for diagnostic though, understandably.

Oh well...
L

#18 ·
yeah its sometimes a pain to find water leaks on cars iv done loads of them. the most common ones on corsa c's are the blower motor housing , bcm box but only if theyve been modified. front door seals which have extra seals that can be fitted. and sometimes water leaks through the rear lights.

#19 ·
the most common water leak on corsa's is the bcm ( body control module ) it is in the top passenger side of the bulkhead in the engine bay and it transfers all eletrical wiring from the engine bay into the interior! I have had mine replaced and so has so many other corsa owners very very common.

Another problem is the door seals not sure if there ever was a recall but there should be a lot of corsas had either the wrong seals put on them from the factory or it was a really bad design and extra seals had to be added!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.