Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

321 - 340 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hoping you hold up well, also. PM me if I can do anything in future; surprise me, I might be useful in some way.
That is a nice Bentley (eat my twin sparks, Alfa) and I would have been very scared to work on it with my T-cut, Turtle Wax, chamois and hosepipe (although I would pour the last of the bucket over at the end for luck, never fails).
I have landed back in Spain tonight. I was intending to bring my chum's ABS/TCS XK8 module with me, but belatedly realized there's fluid in that thar pump and security would have ripped me a new one so I must leave it for the next trip in the Tour. So, instead, I squeezed all the silver upgrade stuff, including your generous gifts. Thanks, and I shall update once I acclimatize to this shrivelling heat.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Minor update, just filled up after a full tank of Shell V-Power. So, on regular Shell diesel the Combo averaged between 52 and 54mpg over the course of a tank, doing a little over 500 miles before the fuel light came on. Over a tank of V-Power diesel I averaged 57.6mpg (and 57.4 on the previous tank of V-Power), having done 575 miles before the light came on. V-Power is £1.39 per litre while normal Shell fuel us £1.32 a litre at the moment. I can't really be bothered to do the maths but it seems to me like the V-Power is just about paying for itself.

I'm not sure what prices are at supermarkets, but then I don't really want to fill up with diesel that has twigs in it...

·
Registered
391 Posts
My dad runs his 2007 reg Toyota Land Cruiser (3litre automatic) and the work hack, a 2009 Seat Leon 2 litre TDI on supermarket fuels, with no adverse effects. They get fully serviced every 10,000 miles or once a year, the jeep gets the gearbox oil and filter done every 2 years...

The only issue was the gearbox wiring on the jeep, oh and the aftermarket economy ecu went sour on us, got that fixed easy though, removed and binned the wiring and ECU and reconnected the standard wiring plugs.... thank God for reliable engineering

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Yes, I don't blame you. Petromarkt and Petroprix, both in competition near me, are running at just shy of €1.16 for a litre of squeezed rabbit droppings and paella pan drainings. Hence the Redex. Around 44mpg out of my 1.7

EDIT: and the math is... the V-Power would have to be >£1.43 for you to be losing out

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
The Corsa has had some work this week...

It passed its yearly MOT test a month ago, with a few advisory notices for a worn-out steering rack and a rusty rear axle. While the rear axle only has surface corrosion, meaning I can leave it for the time being, I decided to see to the steering rack ASAP. So, I took it to Shaun to have that replaced.

The exhaust and subframe had to be lowered to make removal easier...

Soon, it was back together and waiting for a new pair of Steering Rack Ends, as I had decided not to use the rusty old ones above.

So, next was to tackle a water leak. Not that one, a new one! So, Corsas are common for water leaking through the brake servo seal into the driver's footwell, which mine has. However, there was a new leak in my Corsa, coming into the passenger footwell after every rain shower. A quick google suggested that the BCM cover can leak due to perished rubber seals, so I decided to look at that. Once we got the plastic scuttle panel (with the windscreen wiper assembly) out of the way, we could get to all of the bolts - it was quite a mess under there.

As you can see below, the rubber seal was very heavily perished...

So while I cleaned out the leaves and pine needles, Shaun dug out the perished part of the rubber seal and filled it with some silicone RTV sealant to serve as a temporary seal until I order a new cover.

With the mechanical side done for now, I cleaned a few random bits and bobs, starting with the engine. I only did a very basic job, using a little spray bottle with some water, then a degreaser and brush, before rinsing with the water bottle, spraying with a water repellent and drying with a towel. I did one section at a time and the result wasn't too bad.

Next I cleaned the windows for the first time in... maybe four years? I used a toothbrush to get moss out of the rubber seals...

Next I attacked the exhaust rear section with some Autosol...

In other news I managed to remove the passenger seat from the Combo to clean underneath. I'll be looking into replacing that seat soon with one that adjusts.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I get nasty windows on a weekly basis, here. Rain is the worst but just the wind and dustbowl effect makes it about as bad as yours in as many days as your years. Coupled with full on low sun, the spray gun gets so much use I have to go for the €1 supermarket jobs. Super job on the Combo vacuum, btw; looks like a newish car's carpet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
So, last time I looked under the bonnet, I noticed a slight oil leak around the front of the engine on my Corsa. More often than not, it's caused by the rocker cover gasket, so I figured I'd just buy one and fit it. Having a vague idea of what to do, I decided to try my hand at doing this job by myself. I took it to Shaun's just in case I messed up (this is me after all...), and once the engine had cooled down a little, I made a start. First up, I removed the coil cover and unplugged the ignition coil.

After unscrewing and removing the coil, it was literally a case of undoing the bolts all around the perimeter of the plastic rocker cover. Once they were undone, I unclipped the two rubber breather hoses on the top right of the cover and used a flat head screwdriver to pry the rocker cover upwards. The rocker cover gasket itself slots into the cover, as opposed to some designs where the gasket sits on top of the engine head.

The new gasket was easy enough to insert, slotting into place nicely.

As for the head...

... you can clearly see some deposits built up, so, having forgotten my razor blade, I borrowed Shaun's scraper tool...

With the head cleaned, refitting the rocker cover with its new gasket was very simple.

Unfortunately the rocker cover needs another clean now!

So, all in, the gasket itself cost me £12, and the labour cost me the princely sum of nothing. I've only done one journey since so it's hard to tell if the leak is fixed. I was fairly surprised I managed it by myself without any hitches...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Nice work. I confess, as soon as I see exposed engine bits I'm the opposite of Futurama-Bender; I go all faint and call a grease monkey in case I do something disastrous. I know, it's straightforward (unlike, say spending ages swearing around how to get a damn rear seat out) yet I'll ham-fistedly attempt the latter but swerve on undoing some bolts and opening Pandora's box (which reminds me, where is Vanessa?) to stare at some mechanical components.

I ought to grow up, but I'm too old; glad to see you're up for a go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
To be honest this was easier than adjusting/removing the passenger seat on my van. But then rocker covers on petrol engines are a hell of a lot easier than on diesel... Dread to think what the Combo would be like...

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
True, my earliest cars (petrol Pug 104 and Renault 5) were absolute doddles with no coil packs and covers. Even I would check spark plugs and distributor caps; replaced an alternator once, but even old-skool diesels like the VW SDi look like something that only Klaus, the grizzled Das Boot engineer, would be allowed to take a spanner to.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
BCM Cover, Stereo Blanking Panel

BCM Cover

I previously mentioned a second water leak from the BCM (body control module) cover's perished rubber seals. Shaun the mechanic used RTV silicon sealant as a temporary measure while I waited for a new cover to arrive, and recently that cover arrived. It took some not-so-gentle persuasion to remove the old cover, what with the RTV sealant holding well... but eventually I freed it, and moved the battery to leave space to remove it.

You can see the state of the rubber gasket below, with the RTV as well...

The new cover looked much better, and as an added bonus, came with new screws!

I first used my knife to cut away the excess sealant on the base of the BCM, and soon the new cover was on.

Stereo Panel

Onto part two of this week's projects, which was much more interesting. For a while now, the Corsa has had no stereo. You (well, all three of the people who follow this thread at least) might recall photos from earlier posts there's a gaping hole full of wires in the dashboard. Well, after a couple of years, I finally got around to doing something about it.

I don't drive the car enough to be particularly bothered about having a stereo in the car, and I figured leaving it without one would be in-keeping with the whole stripped-out bare-bones theme of the old bag of nails. So, I decided to fit some kind of blanking plate, so there wasn't a massive stereo-shaped hole in the middle of the car.

First, I ordered a fascia panel to fit in the gap.

This is designed to house a double-din stereo system (usually with an in-built sat-nav system), as opposed to the thinner single-din CD players you'd normally find in an old bucket like this. Try as I might, I couldn't find any kind of insert to fit inside the panel, other than an actual stereo system. So, I thought I'd try and make my own blanking panel.

I found a website that supplies perspex sheets made to your specifications. So, I ordered a gloss black sheet, 111mm by 189mm. Took a while to arrive, but it came eventually.

To fit the fascia panel, I had to sand the corners to make them rounded, using 150 grit, followed by 3000 grit.

Once sanded, the perspex sheet actually fit so snugly inside the fascia panel that I didn't need to use any glue.

Possibly the most satisfying part was peeling off the layer of film...

So, with the blanking panel fitted, I needed something to decorate it, as it looked a little plain. What I chose is a long story - originally this car had steel wheels and plastic wheel covers. Those covers had little chrome badges in the centre, that were secured with clips. So before throwing those covers away, I took the badges off. Seeing I could use one of them here, I snapped the retaining clips off ready to glue it to the perspex sheet. I stole my dad's "no more nails" adhesive, placed a small dollop on the back of the badge in the centre, measured 63mm either side of the badge to the edge of the panel, and pressed it down.

After a few hours, it eventually dried, so it was ready for the moment of truth! So, here we see an unsightly mess of wires...

It fit perfectly, and the result was pretty good if I may say so...

I'm really happy with how this project turned out - wish I'd done it sooner!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Actually, just to be annoying, I really liked the perspex before the griffin went on. Not just my usual "replace griffins with blitzes" Opel fetish, I like the shiny black perspex. Looked like an uber high-end touch screen HU that was switched off.

For all the thread followers out there (well, the three of us) who did feel like a fancy-Dan unit to replace the CD30, I shall flag this up (99p start)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333351103787?ul_noapp=true

I exchanged a few messages with the seller, and confirmed it displaced a CD30. So it probably won't work with my '02 and its CDR2005 current setup. Unless Liviu and/or MarkoM, expert in this sort of thing, tell me it's not a problem to swap.

Unlike the "play music sweetly while drive journey no hands and talking" units, Zenec is Swiss and I think they have satnav updates (not sure if this one's are up to date, though)

Of course, if Liviu says "don't be silly, that goes in an '02 C, no problem" I'll have to delete the link. I'm not that altruistic.

EDIT: Just occurred to me, the griff's a good idea. Imagine the number of times your side window is crowbarred in, only for hoodyboy to realise it's a piece of perspex and pee on your seats for "wasting his time"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Well that and it's not a touchscreen so why make it look like one? I mean, it's a 17 year old plastic sh** box so it doesn't have much business housing some fancy expensive infotainment system :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Sport Van not a Sport Van

A minor update for the Combo this week.

So the LED interior bulbs began to flicker and stop working after 2 years of use, so I guess they lasted longer than cheap Chinese LEDs usually do. The white light wasn't particularly nice being honest, leaving a very cold, sterile look, so I found some french-style selective yellow halogen bulbs to replace them. The yellow gives a much warmer glow in my opinion - little things.

In other news, someone on a Facebook group was selling a set of GM sport pedals from a Corsa SRi for £20, so I decided to go for them to tart up my van a little. The original pedal rubbers were starting to wear smooth as well so that was my justification...

The clutch and brake rubbers were easy enough to remove, being simple wraparound items, though the replacements ended up being quite awkward to fit.

The accelerator pedal was different, and the whole pedal assembly had to be removed for easier access...

The plastic pedal face was held onto the assembly by this plastic clip. Once freed off, the pedal face slides off to the side.

Once all bolted back in, the new pedals lifted the interior's appearance nicely.

Since it had been a few months, I also gave the van a quick vacuum clean.

In other news, I used my new-ish camera to finally get some decent photos of the halo-ring headlights on my Corsa...

Next on my list of things to do is to remove the bump-strips on the side and finally get the alloy wheel sorted!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I like the little things; small treats to look at without stiffing the bank account. My interior light has been dripping (as well as the dreaded footwell leak, took the driver's mat out for a night behind the entrance hall rad). I imagine the antenna seal has a leak; wonder how long the bulb will last.

I do very much like the pedals myself - I thought you were anti - and have been watching some. A Hamilton seller lists a few sets (Meriva A/Astra H, never as Corsa C) but he varies his price around a lot, even in mid-auction. I'm waiting for a <£15 set. Do you think the acc pedal undo is necessary if you know about the clip around the back? A bit of a faff I hadn't counted on. Definitely a Spring job if so; I can barely face the pre-Winter storage tidying tomorrow in this cold.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #337 (Edited)
I like the little things; small treats to look at without stiffing the bank account. My interior light has been dripping (as well as the dreaded footwell leak, took the driver's mat out for a night behind the entrance hall rad). I imagine the antenna seal has a leak; wonder how long the bulb will last.

I do very much like the pedals myself - I thought you were anti - and have been watching some. A Hamilton seller lists a few sets (Meriva A/Astra H, never as Corsa C) but he varies his price around a lot, even in mid-auction. I'm waiting for a <£15 set. Do you think the acc pedal undo is necessary if you know about the clip around the back? A bit of a faff I hadn't counted on. Definitely a Spring job if so; I can barely face the pre-Winter storage tidying tomorrow in this cold.
I was anti when I thought they were more expensive - same with a leather steering wheel - I'd have one if I found one cheap enough.

These ones were the right price so I figured I'd go for it. The accelerator pedal can be done without removing the assembly but the assembly itself is only 3 10mm nuts, a plug and a cable tie to cut. Honestly the other two pedals were more difficult. The whole job took 40 minutes and that's because I had no idea how the accelerator pedal fit.

Either way if you plan on removing the pedal, you'll need a metal pick to prize it off. It's quite fiddly even when you can see what you're doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was anit when I thought they were more expensive - same with a leather steering wheel - I'd have one if I found one cheap enough.

These ones were the right price so I figured I'd go for it. The accelerator pedal can be done without removing the assembly but the assembly itself is only 3 10mm nuts, a plug and a cable tie to cut. Honestly the other two pedals were more difficult. The whole job took 40 minutes and that's because I had no idea how the accelerator pedal fit.

Either way if you plan on removing the pedal, you'll need a metal pick to prize it off. It's quite fiddly even when you can see what you're doing.
I fitted a set of these a few weeks back, I took them off an old Astra H I scrapped, if you put the covers in a tub of hot water it makes it easier to slide them on, literally pull down from the top, to the left then to the right then as far down as you need to slip it over the bottom, as you said above the 3 pedals is a 10 minute job and makes a difference.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Having driven the Combo a few times now since, I've noticed a small difference - the standard pedal rubbers are easier to drive with. The difference is small enough to ignore though - the replacements look so much better.

321 - 340 of 383 Posts