Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

401 - 418 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I didn't know there was the 1.4 auto offered but my manual 1.4 Modus tends around 7.3 l/100km (32mpg) partly because it is a heavy git but mostly it stays in town, driving us to Spanish classes and the supermarket etc. On autovias and N-roads it's more like 5.5 (43mpg) but I do those runs more in the summer when the Tour is in Spain and achieves that easily, plus the derv is 10c cheaper per litre.

The Achilles of the DPO is a solenoid issue which requires diving in and heads towards £400 but it's so common that either yours was fixed at some point or it's one of the unaffected ones (on the basis that every internet horror-reputation is rarely >10% of units).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Detailing

So, it's been a while since I updated this thread. I've been doing a little bit of practice with my machine polisher over the last few months after seeing a couple of youtube videos recommending different products. I had struggled to begin with, but I'm getting some decent result, now. This is a Chrysler 300C I've been improving for one of my best customers...

So, while far from perfect I'm very happy with the results! It's just right for me - a good, noticeable result without the time sink a multi-stage polish can become.

The Volvo 240; Lowering the Front End!

My beloved 240 has sat high at the front for the longest time. A month or two ago, I finally got some 60mm lowering springs on the front end! The old springs were quite a stark contrast next to their replacements...

So, here's how she looked before...

And after!

Needless to say, I'm pleased :D

Next I removed the front seats, for the first time ever! Naturally, to clean underneath...

As some of the carpet had been pulled up, I also realigned it while I cleaned.

The Volvo's in the garage now for winter, so the other vehicles in my hoard will be getting some attention soon!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Excellent job on the Chrysler, Peps. Did you buy a pricey Rupes or suchlike? I got a cheap DA of the type Argos were flogging off for £40. Used it for the 2nd serious time this summer on the Focus and the random orbital had packed in -so you gets what you pays for. Even so, it wouldn't lift that type of clearcoat scratch - more of a dull-layer remover - although I ought to cough up for a better compound instead of my bargain bin products.

The sheer difference on those springs would have scared me off but they're exactly right when fitted. Strange how the original look was so tail-down. IIIRC, you lowered your C's rear which was similarly skyward in its original state?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Nope, I had a £100 Carpoint DA. Still cheap. Rupes is waaaaaay to pricey. No machine polisher is worth £500 to me. The main thing is the polish used - Kochchemie H9 heavy cut is awesome stuff.

The rear springs sag on the 240 I think. So if I put new springs on the rear would sit higher. The Corsa is lowered 40mm all the way around but because the rear is stripped, it sits high.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I think I could do with a bit of Koch (I sound like I'm talking to Myfanwy in the village pub) as the wheelie bin came between the Focus and the hedge on a dark night last winter. Not enough to get to paint, but not those drive-thru carwash swirls either. The stuff I was using didn't touch them.

The Volvo did look like you had the vicar's organ in the back (more unintentional entendre) so you may be right about saggy springs. Your Corsa looked perfect in the "after" pic; I thought the "before" looked unusual compared to the std C but hadn't dialled in the stripped rear. I thought my Tour would look kicked up when loaded but it's pretty level looking either way. Less crashy with a few things behind the rear seats, though.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I wouldn't say no to coilovers for the Tour, but they're C front and Astra G rear, so that's an ache. Would be nice to keep 'em high for the long,loaded trip to Malaga but dropped for the shorter trips to the beach. 195/55/16s do the lowered look but not a great idea for long runs, so it kinda works.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
There is now a set on ebay specific to the combo after a push from the facebook group. It's a really good group.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
It's pretty cheap for a coilover set but yes, £300 in one hit is a bit of a pill to swallow.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
December 2020; I Bought a Peugeot?!

Yes, my most hated brand of car. After working at a Peugeot dealer for two years you'd think I'd know better!

It's a limited edition Peugeot 206 Roland Garros! Why is it limited? Because it's Green.

Being serious, it's named after the French Tennis Tournament, which in turn is named after France's first flying ace. Features include dark green paint, front foglights, unique alloy wheels, a badge, a panoramic sunroof, air conditioning with climate control, a CD changer (conveniently missing), and half-leather-half-alcantara seats, finished in a contrasting green and beige. It has a 1.6 TU petrol engine (so the head gasket's probably failed) with a typically awful clutch and somewhere around 110BHP. I bought it for £200, assuming I could sell it for maybe £600 after I've done some work to it. My first job was binning those awful roof racks...

They had been cable tied into holes behind the door seals to secure it, so I also realigned the door seals.

Next, I started on cleaning the interior. The previous owner was a part time plasterer and made a considerable mess - ideal for me! I started with the boot, lifting out the carpet to clean underneath...

The carpet itself was quite disgusting. A few plastering stains wouldn't come out at all. I swept all the loose debris off with a broom, vacuumed the rest and then shampooed the whole carpet with some all-purpose cleaner and a drill brush.

Lastly, I tackled the parcel shelf, which had been home to a snail for a little while...

That was all I had time for with my first stint on the little green baguette.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
The Peugeot; What a Mess!

So, just before Christmas, I had a little more fun with the 206. When I last was with the car, I binned the roof racks and cleaned the boot. This time I continued with the interior. I first stripped the seats and worked my way back to front, left to right.

That took about four hours. But it was very fun! Next I attempted to clean the seats and headrests. I wasn't expecting miracles but I achieved a passable result at least.

Unfortunately I ran out of time, so the rest of the seats had to wait until next time. The car has sat there since which is a bit of a shame. I shall hopefully be doing more to it soon though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
wait wait! Before you get bored, I'll leave you my car psrs that you clean it the same hahaha good work is being impeccable

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Been missing your exploits, good to see you back in (y). The 206 is one of the few superminis I never ended up with as a Malaga hire (odd - because I see a lot of them). Your seats-out clean does a great job of showing the much-mentioned offset pedals. They really are quite skewed - and I'm used to Italian cars. Speaking of Italian, I'm also used to alacantara. That stuff looks like Steptoe's suit so quickly, murder to degrime and so fragile that a drill brush (or even just a common arse) can wreck it in seconds. Lovely when new (and I do rather like that colour scheme) but a headache. Whenever I see a tempting Renault (a LHD Kangoo for £250 went, now I see a £500 Frog-plate Clio 2 but unfortunately the 65hp) I think of the RenaultSport seats that go cheaply, but the alcantara maintenance is a worry.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
The Combo; Winter 2020/2021

So, the van has had a little attention lately. After a particularly uncomfortable journey from Suffolk to Devon, I decided to try and add some kind of sound-deadening, which has now evolved into a mission to make the cargo area look more car-like. I decided to start with the easiest pieces to remove; the rear door cards. Removing them revealed the framework underneath. The first thing I did was clean, naturally!

Those gaps were ideal, so I added some of the same Dacron foam that I had used in my Corsa.

With the plastic door card removed, I first cleaned off all the dust that had accumulated, and then wet-sanded the front. With Katherine's help, I used a four-way stretch carpet and spray adhesive to cover the door card, starting with the indentation where the door handle sits.

We placed an old towel over the carpeted section to prevent the messy glue ruining it, and then covered the rest of the panel with one piece. It was easier than we thought it'd be!

To keep it secure, flaps were cut so the fabric could be glued over the back of the panel. Our chihuahua was not helpful.

Thankfully the plastic fasteners that secure the door card didn't snap, so I replaced the door card. The end result looked very promising!

Next was the plywood panels on the upper sections. I covered them with a thin self-adhesive insulating foam, before carpeting them, to add some cushioning. I also stuck a few small tabs of the foam on the back to prevent vibration.

Being flat, they were much easier to carpet. Once in the van, the rear doors were finished.

Needless to say I was very happy with the result! So, I shall be working my way through the van, carpeting and insulating everything I can, to make the van look and sound less tinny.

While all this was in progress, I also bought a silver 2004 Corsa 1.3 diesel. That would be my fourth Corsa, and sixth Vauxhall. I had no intention of tarting it up to sell on, because it was too far gone with rust. It was a parts car! I bought it for £130, and stripped about £100 worth of parts to use on my Corsa and Combo, and a few to sell. Once I had what I wanted, I sold what was left to a scrap dealer for the modest sum of... £130. So basically the parts were free! Can't grumble at that! The parts used on the Combo included;

1. An insulated engine cover (on the right)...

2. Underbonnet insulation...

3. A new 12V socket to replace the original, which was loose...

And a new screenwash cap, as the old one had snapped. I figured a photo of that was unnecessary!

Next up was a trip to Shaun's. Lately, the van has developed the inevitable brake servo leak, leaving the driver's floor damp. So, me and Shaun stripped under the scuttle panel, which included the windscreen wiper assembly and motor, the screenwash bottle, the cabin filter and the black intake shroud that surrounds it, and the battery. While Shaun removed and resealed the servo itself, I cleaned all the foliage and mud that surrounded it, and cleared the drainage channels that were likely flooded.

With this all done, we moved on to the best part; new halo headlights! They're the same type as fitted to the Corsa, but I chose black for the van instead of chrome, to contrast against the white paintwork.

I was giddy when I saw the halos light up!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Exactly yesterday, I noticed that flexible carpet on ebay and had the same thought. I'd already removed the grey cloth from the (non-sliding door) rear passenger side and failed hopelessly at a leather-look vinyl wrap of that area. Flex-carpeting the whole panels seemed like a workable idea and now I see it is. Like you, I find the Malaga run a bit clanky unless the load area is well squashed with gear. So, after removing obvious Torx bolts, is there a chance you can arrow where I need to get the tool under to lever out the plastic grips without breaking too many?

EDIT - Oh, I get it from the reverse-side pic. You're talking solely about the rear barn doors so far. I'll look forward to the sliding door and opposite side (rear passenger area, in my case) with interest.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
When I took it off, they all remained intact. Using a hair dryer on them first might be an idea though. I literally just got the door handle off and worked my way around with a couple of plastic pry tools (one on its own wasn't sturdy enough and flexed too much). The centre one was most awkward though. It was pretty much just brute force and ignorance. I'll bet you can get new ones on ebay though.

401 - 418 of 418 Posts