Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Didn't really want my first post to be asking for help, but I seem to have got myself in a bad situation. I bought my car a couple of weeks ago, did about 500 miles in it including about 150 miles on a motorway and it ran perfectly, then one journey it just cut out. Was doing about 50 and the engine just stopped making power. It didn't want to immediately restart, but after 30 seconds, it started as normal, ran fine for a few minutes, then the same thing happened. Got home after about 8 mini breakdowns, now it won't run for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

I've tried doing some searching, this problem always seems to be the crank position sensor. Replaced it, problem is still there. Also replaced the fuel filter in case it was a low pressure cutoff and ran with the MAF unplugged, both give the same result of running perfect for a few minutes then stalling. It's the strangest thing, it's like someone just turns the key off, no coughing or struggling, just cleanly switches itself off with no fault codes stored (either using the pedal test or an OBD reader)

Anyone have any ideas? It was a nice driving car when it was running so it feels likely to be some stupid electronic component acting up but I've no idea what to try next.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
It sounds like a fuel delivery fault, IF there is a pump in the tank it could be that, but most haven't got a pump in the tank these days, they rely on the first section of the H/P pump to suck it up....i assume the compressions are ok, just as couple of shortcuts you could try this, when it wont go give it a sniff of easystart in the air intake, see if it reacts, if it doesn't its not fuel, if it does you will have to pursue the fuel problem....there are two quick compression checks you can do, one is crank it over and listen to the engine, and the other is to put an amps clamp on the battery cable and crank it over, if its less than 200 amps it has low compression, if its between 200 and 500 amps there prob ok....my guess is its getting air into the suck side of the fuel pump....there are rubber rings that can draw air i on the fuel rail switch....even the fuel filter top can let air in....the fact it runs ok sometimes tends to eliminate any big mechanical problem like valve timing and camshafts etc....hope that helps...from Fred in Essex.

·
Super Moderator
8,806 Posts
are diesels really worth it in the long run ? i personally think not, i tend to find there is more diesel related problems, on car forums than there is for petrol cars, take leaf out of my book and get a petrol, so much easier, in every way :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will look under the seats to see if there's a pump back there and if it's cutting out, it being a fuel delivery thing seems plausible to me. I can hear the pump in the engine bay won't restart for about 30 seconds after it stalls. Having changed the fuel filter, I'm fairly sure it isn't air getting in, it all seemed to seal up properly after the first attempt (whern I hadn't tightened it enough and it spewed diesel out the top - oops).

As to diesels being worth it, it seems to depend a lot on what one it is, as well as personal preference. I prefer the power delivery of diesels, like accelerating at even just 1500rpm in 5th and it pulls. My experience of diesels is mostly positive:
Citroen 1.9 non turbo - gutless but still ran perfect when the car rusted away at 160k miles
Peugeot 1.9 turbo - felt fast as hell, engine still ran perfect when the car rusted away at 190k miles
Daihatsu 1.2 without a turbo - get out and push. 30k miles and it felt knackered. Also 28bhp. 28.
Vauxhall 1.7cdti - still going strong at 130k miles
(not sure if this will be of interest to anyone, but I like hearing other people's car history so thought I'd say anyway!)

Guess I'd hoped the 1.3 would be a bit more reliable than it is since it does (well, used to) actually drive better than the 1.7. Should have known better, it's made by Fiat

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Ah right i have been thinking of getting one, i only do about 50 miles a week so would be ideal for me...you can get them charged up free in certain places, second hand they seem to be from about 6 to 9 thousand quid...but people who have got them think there wonderful ok if you dont drive up and down motorways all day....any idea how the power gets from the motor to the wheels, i think there is a type of gearbox and maybe shafts to the front wheels....cheers from Fred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I meant to reply to this but kept forgetting. Still no progress with the Corsa, been ridiculously busy with work. To finally answer you though Fred, as a commuter car it's hard to fault. I'm 50 miles a day to work and back, in winter I have about 30% power left in it when I get home, in summer about 50-60%, so enough in reserve to not be worrying about range. From that it takes 6 or 7 hours from a regular socket in the garage to charge, would be less if you get a proper power point fitted. It's when trying to do extra distance it falls a bit short if there doesn't happen to be a rapid charger handy. Thankfully there's one near my work, if I need a quick boost.
Mechanically it's laid out a lot like a regular car, but with a motor in place of the engine, and only a single gear in the gearbox. Normal drive shafts go from it to the front wheels. Lift the bonnet and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was an ICE car, that's where they put the charger and motor controller (in the later ones anyway. Early ones had it behind the rear seats for some reason).
For 50 miles a week it would be brilliant, keep it on long battery life mode (stops charging at 80% full) and it should last as long as you want it to. Worries over battery life generally seem exaggerated, particularly in good old GB where we don't get hot enough weather to make them get into the danger zone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always have been a user of diesel cars my best one and still going without any problems skoda octaviaII1.9 tdi 130hp 2006. 350k miles and still pulls like new changing regularly oil and filters and I will make a million miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.