Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

381 - 400 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #381 (Edited)
I had a couple of hours spare so decided to replace my cam cover gasket that has been leaking since I bought the car and clean the breathers etc. It flew apart without any issues revealing a cracked gasket on the front. The gasket had gone from rubber to as brittle as bakerlite. You could bent it and hear a audible crack. Lol. Inside the camcover everything was mint condition with no mayo present at all. Checked all cam cap bolts as a matter of course and all were good. Chains nice and tight with no play.

Few pictures of the gasket etc. I also started to degrease it but on the first rinse the bloody extendable rubber hose blew up in my face soaking me. I'm sure them extending hoses are out to kill me lol. So I didnt get around to a full degrease of the engine and gearbox but its cleaner than it was.

I also checked the oil pressure switch for leakage and found a bit of oil inside it. Unsure if it's from the camcover gasket but I just changed it for a nice new genuine one which I've been saving for a rainy day lol

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Soaking you in degreaser, I presume? Good job it wasn't 1950s elf 'n' safety Woodbine in mouth. Even in the 80s, the senior scientist in the lab I worked in loved his pipe. I was distilling several litres of petroleum ether and had put up a lot of warning signs. "How are you getting along, Oz? Puff puff, snorkle puff."

It was the POL (petroleum, oils and lubricants) lab and he grudgingly gave in to the political-correctness-gone-mad and marked certain floorspaces where caution should be observed before rekindling pipes, rollies etc.

Sorry, all very :eek:fftopic:, but I just had an image of you auditioning for the Max Cady part in Cape Fear

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
I just had to remove my washer bottle again. The filter was blocked with jelly again so I've washed it out and hopefully it wont come back. It was only 3 months ago I cleared the filter.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Are you using the same washer fluid, diluted, as before, Marks? Sounds like it's lacking in antimicrobial stabilizer and you're getting a biofilm forming. The filter would be the obvious place for the little geezers to congregate.

EDIT: and do wash your hands before carving the turkey.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
Yes I'm using the same stuff I've used in various cars for the last 10 years at same ratio. Never seen slime like this ****. I'll just keep an eye on it. I've used the same screen wash in both my mum and dads cars with no issue plus I go through around a litre per week so it's not like its had chance for anything to grow in it. Maybe I missed some slime last time I did it. I only visually checked it but I've had a brush inside it this time so hopefully it will be fine now. Good job it takes about 10 seconds to pull the bottle out with no tools needed.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Are filters common on other car maker's wash bottles? I suppose they are but I've never looked. Just pour in and occasionally unblock a jet with an interdental brush stick.

A filter would be like a youth centre with pinball and pool tables for microbes and, ironically, diluted detergent can be a good feed for them (temperature's cosy, too) but I've never had a prob like that either. I'm more of a chemist, but a drinking chum at uni was a microbe prof and biofilms were his big thing. Just sounded like a classic example to me.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
I treated my corsa to some new front brake pads. I've not fitted them yet but the old ones have covered 90k over the last 3 years so due to be changed as they have around 2-3mm on them. Surprisingly the discs are well with spec so no need to replace the rotors.

Just need to get some time to change the pads. I've also got a new waterpump to fit to as the one currently fitted is a bit noisy and had play in it. I replaced this pump 50k ago.

It then needs a good wash because its filthy. Il get it all done before the new year. Git it's mot are start of Feb so wanna get any jobs out get way

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
I changed front pads on friday after 90k. The pads had around 3‐4mm left on them but replaced them with some new apec pads. The discs were checked for run out and thickness and were well within spec so just done the pads.

I've got to change my waterpump tomorrow as its noisy and its started weeping. Nice easy job thankfully.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
I got round to changing my waterpump today. Took around a hour including bleeding which took about 20 minutes. Was a pig to bleed today. I didnt have any issues when I changed the pump last time.

Took it for a run up the motorway and checked once I got back but the level was well down in the reservoir and I could see coolant on the engine mount and sub frame etc. So I've just had my head torch on trying to see where it's coming from and thankfully it's one of the spring loaded clips on the thermostat housing. If I squeezed the pipe coolant squirted out lol. I've repositioned the pipe and clamp and it's no longer squirting out now so I'll keep an eye on it over next day or so. Worse case scenario it's getting a jubilee clip on it.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Well the leak didnt stop although it was pretty much losing nothing, dropped 5mm in tank over 500 miles. A quick feel around the hose and its wet again so I took the both spring clips off and fitted new jubilee clips. That should sort it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm getting to the age when jubilee clips might be required soon. I guess that makes 1 Corsa year = 4 human years.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Over the last 3 months my car has developed a small rattle from the engine but it would only rattle between 1100rpm and 1500rpm when accelerating. I also noticed a tiny screech on the aux belt when the rattle came on so today I decided to have a look at it as it was getting worse. I found my aux belt tension was snapped in half.

So 30 minutes later the cars now wearing a brand new INA tensioner. The noise has now gone and is quiet again.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
I've got my MOT due in 7 days so had a good look over the car yesterday and at present 1 tyre will be an advisory but I've got a tyre sat there ready to be fitted so I'll get this fitted during the week if I get out of bed early enough(I'm working nights) and I'll adjust the rear handbrake one night this week in work and hopefully I'll get it in for mot friday afternoon

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
As Branch Secretary of the Union of Older Car Owners, I shall keep my fingers crossed in solidarity, comrade.

381 - 400 of 415 Posts