Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
441 - 460 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Blimey, I've only been here 3yrs and I guess I must have read back earlier through this thread because I'm quite sure you had a "daughter in pic during job done" post and it's frightening how quickly she's gone to "pass the T20 and stop blocking the light" mode.

I have a 23 now, who singularly fails to even open the Combo's unlocked door during the winter when I'm abroad, so I come back to a mould-infested cabin. tbf, I'm not an expert mech mentor, but it wouldn't make any difference if I were.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
Blimey, I've only been here 3yrs and I guess I must have read back earlier through this thread because I'm quite sure you had a "daughter in pic during job done" post and it's frightening how quickly she's gone to "pass the T20 and stop blocking the light" mode.
4 years ago. She needed a chair to stand on. That was rebuilding my sisters corsa after timing chain replacement.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
Just spent 2 hours changing my indicator relay which had a mind of its own. It kept flashing erratically now and then but when it did none of the indicators work on the offside.

The bloody torx screws that hold the bcm lid down were rusted badly. About half of them came out and typically all the ones that have limitted access were rounding. Luckily i managed to get them all out using my hammer and various different bits. Ive dremmeled a nice deep slot in them now so they can be removed with a screwdriver. The bcm lid seal was torn so ive refitted it with silicone. Ill just keep an eye on it for leaks while i try source a replacement.

Why does a 10 minute job alway end up 2 hours lol.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
I had a spare hour today so bought a holts headlight polishing kit a few weeks ago and decided to give my headlights a polish as the drivers side was so yellow you couldn't see the bulbs.

I spent about 30 minutes with the drill wet sanding it and polishing it. Im amazed how good it actually looks now. Didnt expect it to clear up as good as it did. Ive given it a good coat of UV coating. Ill give it another tomorrow if i get time.

Just need to do the passenger side now as it looks dull. It didnt look that bad until i polished the drivers side. Now i can see from behind the wheel the drivers headlights brighter. You can also see the passenger ones more yellow when you stand in front of the car. Job for when i get a spare hour.

Ill try upload a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Yes, this is a perennial problem for me in Malaga and the ITV (MOT) inspector actually failed my Modus for it. It had been left outside for 14 months while Covid kept me in UK, plus the time I'd been parking and driving it outside since the last buff. Last time was just the "Formula 1" cream, which was ok. This time, I used the 12V buffer (not as good as my UK DA, but I don't have easy mains access here) with a medium compound x2, then the Formula 1 (which supposedly has a UV protector). Huge improvement and it passed easily. 20 minute job, which I could have done while waiting to be called up for my inspection but I didn't think the yellowing was that bad. I'm fine with doing that once a year if needs be.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
Just done the oil and filter again. Good for another 5k now. Need to get a tyre for front passenger side. Checked the tracking which was perfect. Its been ran underinflated and has wear on the inside and outside edge of the tyre.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Again, some ITV inspectors here get picky about mismatched brands on the same axle (and very unhappy about an M+S with a summer tyre on the same axle). Just in case my inspector has a bad lunch or not getting any from Mrs Inspector, I replace tyres in pairs.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
Its mot time again in the next week or so. Quick check over the car and needed a front tyre which ive had done this morning.

The hand brake needed adjusting again which i did but it revealed it needed shoes as they was only about 2.5mm on them. Not bad for originals with over quarter of a million miles on them. So ive fitted new shoes today but the bloody hand brakes sticking in the guides very slightly on one side. Ive got new guides ready to fit once i can work out how the old ones come off. I didnt have time to mess with it anymore today due to needing to go to work. Feel free to speak up if anyone knows how they come off.

I also need a rear tyre after i spotted a nail in it right at the edge plus some pretty bad damage to the inside of the tyre wall. That will be changed in the morning.

I removed the lips on the drums while they were off too.

441 - 460 of 480 Posts