Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
I took my car for mot today. Thankfully it passed but had 5 advisories which are nothing. The biggest advisory is the long centre offside brake pipe which is an advisory and the only pipe thats not been replaced on the car since ive owned it. Im quite surprised it didnt fail around where it goes up and beside the tank as it looks not in the best condition and is full of mud. This will need doing once the weather warms up a bit Hes put the nearside one on too but thats brand new so pretty sure its covered in mud/crap preventing him from checking it. It cant be corroded as it was replaced a year ago with cunifer.

The oil leak is from the filter housing where it joins to the block. Nothing to worry about. Its done 200,000 mile like that since I've had it and it never drips or loses any noticable quantity of oil between services. So im not about to start to worry about this one unless it starts dripping.

Im unsure why hes put the handbrake on as an advisory as its just had new shoes, cable guides etc last week and its better than its ever been and its never been an advisory before. I can only assume hes not pulled it hard enough. The handbrake holds on the ramps in multistorey car parks with no issues. I did suggest he joins the gym next door to the garage.

So all in all, not a bad mot for a car with 250,000 miles on it. Good for another year.

Font Number Circle

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Congrats, marks. I always grumble about the h/brake on mine really needing that 7th click or it'll roll back on the slightest slope, but I know you adjust yours more satisfactorily than mine gets (good for a week or so, then back to gorilla grunt) so he probably pulled it up like a tissue out of the handbag.

Also, these "because I couldn't see it" advisories are getting more and more commonplace. IMO, if there's some plastic shield or crud preventing a full look, it ought to be imparted verbally rather than an annoying record on the .gov website for some potential buyer to wet themselves over.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Congrats, marks. I always grumble about the h/brake on mine really needing that 7th click or it'll roll back on the slightest slope, but I know you adjust yours more satisfactorily than mine gets (good for a week or so, then back to gorilla grunt) so he probably pulled it up like a tissue out of the handbag.

Also, these "because I couldn't see it" advisories are getting more and more commonplace. IMO, if there's some plastic shield or crud preventing a full look, it ought to be imparted verbally rather than an annoying record on the .gov website for some potential buyer to wet themselves over.
Mine holds perfect on 4 -5 clicks now. Mines always been as you described but changing the plastic cable guides made a huge difference to mine and its better than its ever been by a mile now.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Do you still (everything went quiet over 2020/1) do work for money? It's some time off yet (getting a Spanish driver's licence is a priority) but some day I'd like to waken the Combo Tour from its slumber and bring it to Malaga and return it to ES registration. Fitting and activating the CC and a properly effective h/brake would be two things I would love to have done before I went (in however many months' time that'll be).

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Gave my car a good once over and found a noisey rear bearing so changed that. I do love my 20 ton press. Took me less than 20 minutes to remove, swap and rebuild it. The old bearing even came out in 1 piece. Nice and quiet again.

Goes to show the quality of bearings nowadays. Drivers side rear is the original and has covered 260,000 mile and is still pretty quiet but will need changing in the near future. Passenger rear is on its 3rd bearing in last 150k.

Checked all the fluid and topped up as required. It is due an oil service but the parts place wasnt open so job for next week when im working nights( do it in my brew time using forklift to raise the car and put it on stands). All tyres checked and inflated to the correct pressures.

I need to pick some sealant up for my radio antenna. I only had grey sealant. Noticed half of the seal is missing and bit of damp boot, nothing massive when i looked under the carpet but slighty damp smell to it. Easy fix.

Timing chains just starting to tap on idle slightly but with over 200,000 mile on this chain i cant moan. Ive got a brand new kit sat there but how much longer can this car actually last. 260,000 mile on the original engine im wondering if its worth doing or not.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
Gave my car a good once over and found a noisey rear bearing so changed that. I do love my 20 ton press. Took me less than 20 minutes to remove, swap and rebuild it. The old bearing even came out in 1 piece. Nice and quiet again.

Goes to show the quality of bearings nowadays. Drivers side rear is the original and has covered 260,000 mile and is still pretty quiet but will need changing in the near future. Passenger rear is on its 3rd bearing in last 150k.

Checked all the fluid and topped up as required. It is due an oil service but the parts place wasnt open so job for next week when im working nights( do it in my brew time using forklift to raise the car and put it on stands). All tyres checked and inflated to the correct pressures.

I need to pick some sealant up for my radio antenna. I only had grey sealant. Noticed half of the seal is missing and bit of damp boot, nothing massive when i looked under the carpet but slighty damp smell to it. Easy fix.

Timing chains just starting to tap on idle slightly but with over 200,000 mile on this chain i cant moan. Ive got a brand new kit sat there but how much longer can this car actually last. 260,000 mile on the original engine im wondering if its worth doing or not.
done my bearings about 2 years ago now, nearly broke me hand/wrist knocking one of them out, walked to a garage to get that one changed :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Well. Interesting drive to work this morning. Set off for work with a nice quiet bearing. Done about 20 miles and its started rumbling. Jacked it up at work and the new bearing is noisey as hell. Theres no play but noisey when spun by hand. Its noiser that the 260k bearing fitted to the opposite side. I can only make the assumption the bearing hasnt been packed with grease during assembly(sealed bearing) Ill have to pick another bearing up and swap it again. Ill pop the covers off this one and make sure its packed and see if i can get any more grease into it.

Never had a bearing fail with less than 100 miles on it. All the right tools were used to press it in so its not as if its been fitted incorrectly or abused during installation. I used the correct size steel bearing pressing tool that fitted the external of the bearing race perfectly. Strange one. Ill pop the covers off when i remove it and see if theres any grease in it.

·
Super Moderator
8,767 Posts
i do remember mine didnt have much grease in them when i opened the packet, i did add plenty more to them though.
if it makes ya feel any better mate, i swapped a driveshaft over about 8 years ago and cos no oil came out i never checked the level in the box :ROFLMAO: ya can guess the rest what happened :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Just picked up the replacement bearing and stripped and regreased it just to ensure its not dry like i suspect the last one was. This one had grease in it but added a bit more and assembled it and refitted the seals.

Ill fit the new bearing over the weekend if i get time.

Fluid Natural material Wood Gas Jewellery

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
Well the plot thickens. Just swapped the bearing and its nice and quiet again. What i did noticed was when the old bearing was removed it revealed a crack in the underside race. This crack couldnt have been done pressing it in as i pressed it in from the other side of the bearing and pressed it on the outer race, not the inner. It could have been done pressing it out i suppose but the crack would explain why it was quiet and within 5 mile it was loud as. So it must have cracked after fitting as I checked it before i fitted it. The bearing appears to be greased so dont think it was lack of lubricant. Just think it was a duff bearing. Who knows.

On the plus side. Ive got it down to 15 minutes from jacking the car up to dropping it back down 😂😂😂

Tin Fluid Drinkware Serveware Water

Musical instrument Fluid Automotive tire Gas Circle

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have had the rear bearings crack like that before.
Some parts being supplied these days are very low quality and just don't last. It's a wonder they are aloud to sell them as most I would describe as not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
I have had the rear bearings crack like that before.
Some parts being supplied these days are very low quality and just don't last. It's a wonder they are aloud to sell them as most I would describe as not fit for purpose.
I agree. This wasnt a cheap bearing so id have not expected that to happen. At least its fixed.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
I managed to get another bloody flat tyre on the motorway yesterday. 3 in 2 months. Luckily i made it off the motorway to enable me to change it and get on my way.

Ive repaired the tyre with a plug and its back on the car to live another day.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Ugh. I've never suffered that on my Malaga runs and I carry a full set of spares most times but sooner or later it's bound to happen. Hopefully, not this upcoming run.
I think ive had 4 punctures in 5 years (180,000 mile) and 3 have been in the last 5,000 mile. Im a puncture magnet at the minute 😅

They say bad luck comes in 3's so hopefully im good for a good few miles now.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I hope that's the case. I had a spate of them with my Rover 620Si several years back, but realised that my school allocated me a parking space right outside the "resistant materials" (metal/woodwork in my day) technology room window. All the kids pulling the bent nails and screwed screws out of their botched coffee tables etc lobbed them out of the window for me to reverse over as I made my way home :mad:

461 - 480 of 480 Posts