Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Corsa C 1.2 SXI - 88k miles and when the car stands overnight in the cold it will not start in the morning, however when I finally get it started is runs perfectly all day, and when warm at night ( above ~ 8deg C )then again starts perfectly in the morning and runs perfectly during the day. The battery is fine as easily turns the engine and is not sluggish. After 10 min or so of trying to start the engine + jumping off another car it eventually starts , then is fine from then on

I have done the following:-
Changed the spark plugs
Changed air filter
Changed the Crank sensor
Checked for errors on engine management system - none
Used jump leads off another running car- no difference
Taken out the plug to the spark plug distribution rail and cleaned + sprayed with WD40 in case damp
Checked the pressure of the fuel rail - when press the valve on end of rail petrol spurts out , good pressure

Really not sure what else I can do- Any Ideas please.....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Need to know three things on a cold morning:
  • whats the engine coolant temp before even trying to crank
  • whats the long term fuel trim?
  • last time when fuel filter’s been changed. Don’t tell me never because that thing is few pounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , As the car has been outside all night in the cold , the coolant temp must be getting pretty cold 1> 3 degC
Ref fuel trim, not sure what you mean
I have never changed the fuel filter! Only had the car for 1 year , however when I changed the air filter it was really dirty so if that had not been changed for a while it would suggest the fuel filter has not been changed for ages.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The values need to be looked up with an diagnostic tool, preferable an opcom, pay 10-15 pounds for it and if you have a laptop ....
For sure you need to change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your advice , I have ordered a new fuel filter, is it worth changing the oil+ oil filter while I am at it, we have only done 5k miles since we have had the car and never changed the oil in that time (10 months)?
Surely if there was a problem with the fuel trim it would come up with an error code, but there is no error codes coming up , no lights on the dash ?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If fuel trims are off, up to +/- 25%, there is no fault code. But can cause no start. Don’t expect ecu to be a super computer to pinpoiny the issue. Its program is about 1MB, less than an mp3 song.
Another easy test, is the rpm needle moving a bit up at start? About 100-200 rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts