Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I am encouraging myself to put 3 subwoofers, I have a double coil that the idea is to mount it sealed, and, on the sides, two single coil open box, the idea is that twice as much punch filtered at 80hz and the simple ones filled at 120, will the idea work out? leave all 3 open? all 3 sealed?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You would probably be better with just the 2 subs of the same make/model/size in a well built ported box if you like deep low bass?
Many years ago (25+) I had 1x 12" 300watt sub in a ported box run off a 400 watt amp that hit 143bd playing the deep dish version of Whigfield's "Saturday night" in my MK2 Fiesta.
I had 3 attempts at getting the box just right and ended up with the smallest ported box the the sub manufacture recommended. I made it so the sub did not have any face of the box was parallel to it with a front facing round port.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 3 of the same brand but one is a double coil, I don't know whether to leave it open like the other two or seal it so that it sticks and the others fill or quality in those frequencies, since it is a double coil to use it as power

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I don't know about in-car audio, only as a bass player in a band, but I wouldn't go with open backs if you want low end - all sorts of vibrations and resonant frequency problems in the surrounding area can make the sound unpleasant. A sealed cabinet was my preference as it punched out the low fundamentals, but it heavily restricts the sucking in of air as the cone moves, so your amp has to work harder. That wasn't a problem with my bass amplifier but a ported design, as z22se suggests, is a good compromise for focused bass and bigger sound pressure level (SPL) for your Watts.

I'm a bass player and I can tell (and have a preference) between sealed and ported cabs, but then I prefer EL34 valves to 6550s (and particular brands of EL34), Elites stainless steel strings to Rotosound nickels etc etc. Important to me, but even the guitarist - never mind the audience - never noticed any difference. A ported woofer will probably suit you best. In a tight space like a car, multiple speakers arranged vertically sound punchier than horizontally but, again, not significantly to most people. One thing that I hope you do know: your amplifier will have a range of impedances (or a selector) that it can work with. Adding more speakers, and serial or parallel wiring, will significantly change the overall impedance and you need to make sure you don't cause damage to the amplifier.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Mixing a twin coil sub with 2 single coil subs will cause problems setting up. You will also need an amp with double the power to run the twin coil sub than for the single coil.
I prefer a ported box over a sealed and for the very low frequencies you are suggesting to filter at a ported box will deliver far more for the same amp power. My low pass filter is set at around 180Hz for a single 12" single coil 300watt sub in a ported box run at 300watts in the Corsa and the same for a single 10" dual coil 500wat sub in a ported box in the Tigra run off a 600watt amp. Both drop low are are still quite punchy on the drums. Both boxes are made by JL Audio for the subs in them

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Esuqe there goes the idea, the double coil with a dedicated amplifier and another equal for the single coil, open the single and sealed the double, so that the soble of force in bass when sealed. 80hz, and the simplea open at 120hz for sub sound, the only doubt is whether to manufacture the sealed drawer for double or I will roll it and better leave the 3 open

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take advantage and ask, issue distributor of positives, do you see them reliable? trngo a fat cable that would take tension for these two stages of 600rms 1.2p0 peak, although I do not know if the alternator of 100A can with 4 stages ...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
When I did have 2 subs in the Corsa both dual coil 600watt ones I had 1 JL Audio 1200/1 amp to run them and a 600/4 for the front end speakers.
Soo total was 1800 watts rms and they ran fine on a single zero gauge power wire to a splitter just before the amps. 100 amp alternator and voltage stayed over 13 volts even when pushing hard bass CD's at full volume.
I was going to run 6 subs with 3 amps then 2x 4 channel amps for 4 sets of door speakers but lost interest in building it. All the kit is still sat in the house most unopened boxes.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts