Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
So I noticed a few days ago from a reflection that my top brake light (3rd/topic centre) wasn’t coming on , but the other two were working (left and right)
So I just assumed that the bulb had gone and needed to be replaced.
I went to a scrap yard to pick one up, where I was shown it was working correctly. I fitted it on my car but it still didn’t seem to go on. I assumed it wasn’t the fuse because all 3 brake lights run off the same fuse as far as I’m aware? Regardless I replaced the fuse anyway. still the same thing. The only other thing I can thank of is the actual wiring to the top light, which although I can do much mechanical work I don’t like doing too much electrical work.
So my question is does anyone have any clue what could be causing the problem and if there is any tips to sort it?

Additionally if i can’t sort it would this class as an MOT fail? As the other two work fine!

Video of what I mean is attached.

Video :

·
Registered
27 Posts
there will either be wiring near the hinges at the top or a contact plate at the base of the boot aperture, If its wiring it may be split....if its a plate it may just need a clean,

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
To answer your other question, it goes a bit like this. A third brake light is not a requirement for the MOT, but any brake light fitted must work>50% (so, if there are 5 LEDs, at least 3 must light up). If your third lamp doesn't, some might put it as a minor but the actual wording is that the tester must know, without dismantling, that the lamp is fitted and permanently connected or else give the benefit of the doubt to the car owner (I guess this dates back to when base models might have one as part of the rear tailgate but only the upspec models were actually fitted up). If your MOT comes up before you've located and fixed the problem, simply turning up with no third light in place is a de facto "no 3rd lamp is fitted and permanently connected" so the car must pass if the two usual ones work fine - no argument.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
And you're right
F25 (10A) is your brake light fuse and there's no separate one for the high-level listed in the diag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My guess would be the wiring as Oz said, if you are not sure see if another member on here could pop down to help you. ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
The wiring runs up the rear L/H C pillar then goes into the boot lid near the hinge. As with any car wiring in the door/boot hinges over time and multiple open/closing these wires car break.
The plug is behind the upper trim panel from memory? Do all the other functions work on the boot? central locking, wiper, heated screen?
best thing is to check you have power/earth to the light unit itself then at loom plug.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
My guess would be the wiring as Oz said, if you are not sure see if another member on here could pop down to help you. ;)
Redirecting the props and respect to Huge_Ferret, as I only pointed out the MOT hack (literal and metaphorical)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi Guys
Sorry for the late reply - I’ve checked the bit of wiring around the boot which looks ok. Its good to know that i can take it off for mot so thanks for that. However I would it fixed for cars behind me.. is there anyone in Leeds area that would be able to have a look? I’m mechanically minded but when it comes to electrics I’m not generally good.
Rear heated windscreen, washer and wiper all work fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts