Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Holden Barina which is a rebadged Corsa C for the Australian market.
I checked the specs and thought it was supposed to be all discs as shown here:

It actually has drums on the back. I went to replace the bearings on the drum & unless it just fell off and I did not see it, there is no ABS ring where one should be.

Should all Corsa C cars that come with drum brakes have that ABS ring installed.
It is not something I would think would just fall off & I would have to physically remove it from the drum cover which is what all the videos seem to show.

However, where they all show the step to remove the ABS ring,on mine, there is not one there. Do some drum setups have this sensor in a different form somewhere else on the car?

Obviously, I do not want to put it all back together without verifying this first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
what the partner puts on you does not seem to be an abs ring, they are usually jagged and a sensor looking at him to count the laps, cars without abs do not carry it anywhere, why do you want to remove it?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's a smoot ring with magnets in it. Looks like a dust seal.
If you have been driving with out it there would be a warning light on the dash.
Some models didn't have ABS though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine without going any further, to which sick mind comes up the idea of mounting the heaviest engine on a 5p without abs Hahaha

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
what the partner puts on you does not seem to be an abs ring, they are usually jagged and a sensor looking at him to count the laps, cars without abs do not carry it anywhere, why do you want to remove it?
The abs rings on the rear of the corsa look like the picture i posted. Your describing what front ones look like which is probably why the poster thinks it has no abs ring. It looks like a bearing cap which is why its often mistaken. I replaced the rear abs ring on my corsa a few months back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well then perfect, I was wrong, thanks Some engineer already told me that the abs do not work on the rear wheels, or that few cars do To know if the set abs shock absorbers and steering are okay, you can wet part of the street and the other dry, so that one side circulates in the wet and the other in the dry and make emergency braking, the car with the steering wheel Loose has to stand straight, if it turns only something is wrong

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I had a look at all the videos to do with removing the rear wheel bearings & they all show that smooth ring that needs to be removed. I am as certain as I can be that it was never there & after researching apparently there are some models that just do not have ABS at all, which put my mind at ease.

The job I am doing is the rear bearing removal due to it failing that for a roadworthy test.
I watched about 5 videos on how to undertake this and they all had the ABS ring & at that point I realised, I never saw one. The car has not moved since I removed the drum and I do not remember seeing it.

I will know for sure when I put this one back on, and unbolt the other wheel. If there is not one there either then its clear I have a car that does not have ABS. The other confirmation is that there has never been any warning for ABS come on either.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If your question is whether or not it has abs, and you cannot put the contact to see the light of the box, in vain if you follow the green brake pipes from the brake booster, if you have abs they will enter a module of a fist and a half of size with an electrical branch and a black motor, if you do not have abs, these pipes will enter a mechanical dispenser two or three fingers wide, it is located next to the antifreeze canister in the Spanish model, with a left hand drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No abs on your car
Thanks mate, I am not all that mechanically minded and it is the first subject that there is not a lot of information on.
There are a heap of posts on replacing the ABS pump for the Corsa D but next to nothing online about what it is that a non abs Corsa has that allowed me to definitely say there is no ABS.

Never touched a car in my life till this & what I will say, it has been a character building exercise. One of the things that I think does not get much attention from people that work in an office most of the time is the discomfort that comes from having bad indigestion while your have to try and get a bolt from under the dash off.

Final tasks I have to do on the failed roadworthy is to replace the rear bearings and replace the front brake pads.
Currently the outer bearing case is wedged firmly inside the drum but I do have a dremel so going to give scoring a mark in it a go & see what happens

Thanks for your help, this forum along with the videos on youtube especially the guy from the savage garage have allowed someone that about 2 months ago did not know where the engine went to be able to work through a list of about 14 things along with some other items like cleaning the egr? and fixing the drivers side leak in the footwell (biggest of all the jobs I did)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
One way to extract the outer bearing race from the brake drum is to run 2 beads of weld opposite each other on the inside of the bearing race, as they cool the race will shrink and then can be knocked out with relative ease.
As the bearing is very hard Dremel tools may not have much effect on it or take a few tool bits and a lot of time to grind through.
Keep up the learning, it will save you a lot in years to come.

·
Registered
209 Posts
and what problem to leave it on? I don't have abs and my driver's shield has the abs ring, the car came as standard again, if you don't mind, leave it and forget it, I remember that when we bought our corsa in the opel it came with a couple of extras that we hadn't asked for , such as the interior light package and a radio that did not correspond to the model, if not an optional one, so to know what else will have gone through the ring, such as pre-installation of front fog lights, or astras G with pre-installation of sunroof and electric mirrors, If you do not mind that it is mounted I would leave it as it was, if it works, do not touch it, they say here hahaha

It would be interesting those photos of the battery in the trunk around here only bmw did it for the distribution of weights of the car, it is curious that yours takes it in the trunk!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts