Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.
im a first time (female) driver and my dad has bought me an 04 corsa 1.2 petrol. i love it, BUT....lol, i wish to change the headunit for a better one with an aux port / usb / bluetooth / wireless etc, can anyone recomend one and provide the link , that will be a straight swap preferably. i dont mind having a smaller single din unit either, but as im hopeless with this sort of stuff would you please tell me exactly what i will need to fit it. my dad will do the fitting ?. the net is rather confusing for me , saying i will need this and need that , im baffled lol. after this i will possibly change the speakers too. thankyou in advance for the info. sorry if i have asked for to much info.x

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Hello Emlou and welcome to CCUK. Pretty good choice of first car; for insurance and fairly easy maintenance (even if you don't DIY, it means less labour hours charged) and spares are cheap. A very slight awkward problem is the year of your car; 2004 is the year when the HU type changed. It would help to know which is already in there. I suspect it will be a CD30, which looks like this (fascia colour can vary)

But you might have something like the CDR2005 (again, colour varies)

Your replacement options differ accordingly. A couple of other things. Do you have steering wheel controls and would you like them t work with the replacement? Also, how useful to you are things like CD, DVD, a big touchscreen, option to upgrade to a reversing camera and so on? If you just want to play tunes from your phone, then a single DIN mechless unit (no CD/DVD drive) will be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Many thanks for your reply. I have the cdr2005. I would like the option to use the steering wheel controls but this will depend on price. I would like to play cd’s but also and mainly to play music from my iPhone, don’t need sat nav or touch screen or options for cameras etc. A single din cd unit with the above would be fine I think. You agree ? We have two halfrauds near us and I use eBay a lot but it’s just confusing me lol.
Once again thank you so much for your input. X

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at this , would this fit ? What else would I need to buy ?
Or shall I stay with a single din for cost purposes ?‍♂?‍♂?
14082A9B-F8F8-45F9-A5D3-F7DB103B2FF4.png
14082A9B-F8F8-45F9-A5D3-F7DB103B2FF4.png

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I have the CDR 2005 myself. Be careful that HUs listed on ebay, Amazon and even the knowledgeable people at Halfords will say it's suitable for a 2004 Corsa, but they'll be thinking of a CD30 replacement, which is a bit more hooked up to the brains than a CDR is.

I am very keen on my steering wheel controls, because I have very interfering passengers. If that's not such an issue for you, then more options are available to you. Although I am not an audiophile, the CDR is a reasonable unit (better than the CD6000 in my 06 Focus and way better than the Tuner List in my 05 Modus). If it's the lack of an input for your phone or mp3 player, there are a couple of options that you can do that will cost small money to allow you to carry on with what you have.

I am using a phone right now, which is rubbish for linking to other sites. I'll get back in later and use a proper computer to reply more usefully.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the CDR 2005 myself. Be careful that HUs listed on ebay, Amazon and even the knowledgeable people at Halfords will say it's suitable for a 2004 Corsa, but they'll be thinking of a CD30 replacement, which is a bit more hooked up to the brains than a CDR is.

I am very keen on my steering wheel controls, because I have very interfering passengers. If that's not such an issue for you, then more options are available to you. Although I am not an audiophile, the CDR is a reasonable unit (better than the CD6000 in my 06 Focus and way better than the Tuner List in my 05 Modus). If it's the lack of an input for your phone or mp3 player, there are a couple of options that you can do that will cost small money to allow you to carry on with what you have.

I am using a phone right now, which is rubbish for linking to other sites. I'll get back in later and use a proper computer to reply more usefully.
Thanks for that , appreciate it. Will the above fit ? I've seen this too from halfrauds, it's basic and has what I need for now. Thoughts ? . Sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much, I’ll decide tonight , probably the jvc one tbh. Your a diamond ??

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,307 Posts
Welcome to ccuk

Depends on the budget you have tbh

Most stereos have the option to use the steering g wheel controls if you buy the wiring loom as welll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that , I’m struggling to find one for the jvc one and the pioneer one as above ?‍♂ So I can still use the swc.

·
605,307 Posts
Need to double check as far as I can see they both use the same patch lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I’m going to go with the jvc hu. I will order the swc lead now , so am I right in saving I need a double din cage fitting kit thing to install it. My surround is dark grey. Once again my apologies for the daft questions ?‍♂

·
Registered
391 Posts
Even easier is a bluetooth to radio frequency converter that simply swaps the bluetooth signal to a radio frequency. I use this in my C and to be honest it's a handy bit of kit. I will edit this post with a link to the one I use

Edit:: not exactly the one I use but similar.

Hope this helps

Cal

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I was hoping to get back onto your thread early enough to put this link up. It might be the one Cal has, it's certainly the one I use.

It really is a doddle to set up and pair to your phone. Once you've done so, you can transfer it to any car you happen to be in and you can play your phone through that car's HU as well. I use it mostly in my Modus but, when I'm driving the Combo Tour down to Malaga, I bring it with me so that I don't have to listen to dire French radio. Set one of your CDR's presets to 108MHz and you're away. In Malaga, where radio is not very regulated and Morrocan stations can be picked up, I very occasionally get interference but throughout the UK, France and most of Spain my phone's music comes out of the speakers as clear as the proverbial.

Worth considering because, even if it's a stop-gap, it's really cheap, can be transferred to other cars, and even a moron like me can set it up in minutes with no wiring, allen keys or other malarkey. Oh, and the USB sockets are handy for charging on the go.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I also intended to put this link up if you do decide to replace your CDR

I like Rust Locker. He's not a pro mechanic or such, so he makes mistakes and leaves them in his vid so that you won't make them (warning: in this one he gets a mild electrical shock and says "F :censored: k") but you'll notice that with aftermarkets you'll often need to buy adapters and, even then, they won't be wired exactly right and need fettling.

Sticking with the CDR, it is possible to install an aux socket into them so that they can play your phone off the earphone jack. I've bought all the bits for it myself but never got around to it. Partly because I'm a bit lazy, mostly because the Bluetooth-FM receiver thingy I linked above works so well that CBA. Anyhoo, here's the 'how-to' video:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys your legends. If I’m honest I’m just going to buy the jvc hu, the jvc swc lead that has been linked for me and get my dad to fit it.
So , to confirm ,
Hu (halfrauds)
Swc lead ( eBay )
( I have removal pins for the double din )
Is there anything else that I would need to get, to get him to fit this in one hit.
Facia ? ?‍♂?‍♂ I’m off to halfrauds today as I’ve acquired some vouchers so may as well get what I can from there. ???
Once again thank you.

·
605,307 Posts
if you get the head unit from halfords you can also get the steering wheel control lead & the double din unit fitting kit (facia) if the head unit doesn't come with it

·
605,307 Posts
they can even fit it all for you, i dont know how much that would cost tho

1 - 20 of 43 Posts