Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I'm back on here after a couple of years so it's time for an update :)

Since the last time I was on the site I've not done a whole lot to the car other than fixing it up. I "kissed" the back of a mini on the way to work one day. the mini looked like this:

But the corsa came off worse :facepalm:

Was only doing 10-15 in stop start traffic haha

So I fixed her all up, got a private plate and lowered it 40mm, added an sri spoiler and opel front grill. More pics to follow.

Then I didn't do anything with the Corsa while I restored a Ducati I bought.

I completely stripped it, including rebuilding the engine and now I've got a taste for It so I've bought this...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
So the engine turned up the other week. It was a bit of an impulse buy to be honest. 500 quid for the 70,000 mile engine with all ancillaries which i thought was a good buy.

I started to strip the engine down the next day as I wanted to inspect everything before I put the new engine in.

Everything seemed pretty good until I took the head off...

As you can see there is some scoring to the cylinders. 2,3 and 4 are not too bad, but a ring has failed in number 1. I took it to a family friend who does engine work, and it look like the engine will need a rebore. Which is a good excuse for upgrading internals :look:

Another pic of the workshop with everything stripped.

I was going to leave the pistons and conrods standard, and got for 280bhp but the new plan is:

Rebore engine to 86.5mm for VXR Pistons
Hbeam Conrods
Balance Crank
Balancer shaft delete
Rebuild engine with new bearings,gaskets and parts as needed (water pump, oil pump, belts etc)
VXR Turbo
VXR Injectors
80mm MAF
Crossover delete
Aircon Delete
FMIC
Fast road/track clutch upgrade
Upgraded fuel Pump

That will do for a start haha... I've just bought a sri rear beam with callipers from adam2366. Top Lad.

And the most important part of the engine

·
Premium Member
50,213 Posts
Win :D

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Ducatti looks like a beaut. Kinda a shame about the engine being a bit dodgy, but glad to see you're getting it sorted and your other plans :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

·
Registered
79 Posts
Amentia's Spearmint C

Think I saw you driving down Billingshurst high street earlier, around 11am? Sounded good, but definitely not z20 good Any progress with the engine yet mate?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
very good bit of progress ;)
Ok so I lied haha

Not exactly progress but some bits have arrived. Engine be going to get re-bored later in the week.

Fuel pump was a bargain of ebay

and got some astra calipers for 30 quid posted haha Planning to have these powder coated, as well as my rears.

On a different note, I'm planning to do a 5 stud conversion. I've seen a few people who have managed it, but nobody has been happy to give me any advice. I don't want to get a 1.7 rear beam as I'm looking to have disks on the rear. Any body able to shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
79 Posts
On a different note, I'm planning to do a 5 stud conversion. I've seen a few people who have managed it, but nobody has been happy to give me any advice. I don't want to get a 1.7 rear beam as I'm looking to have disks on the rear. Any body able to shed some light on this for me?
Wouldn't you be able to use the running gear from a 5 stud meriva rear beam and swap them over to the SRI beam you've bought?

Nice to see the parts list building up though! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Be careful with the the Walbro pump as mine wasnt very good, and didnt last long!

As for beam, I guess the Meriva beam may be a straight swap, and the VXR beam has rear disks, but guessing theyre like rocking horse sh*t to get hold of...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Wouldn't you be able to use the running gear from a 5 stud meriva rear beam and swap them over to the SRI beam you've bought?

Nice to see the parts list building up though! :thumbsup:
Be careful with the the Walbro pump as mine wasnt very good, and didnt last long!

As for beam, I guess the Meriva beam may be a straight swap, and the VXR beam has rear disks, but guessing theyre like rocking horse sh*t to get hold of...
Cheers for the ideas! I've heard similar suggestions from other people, but nothing 100%. I've decided I'm going to use 1.7 front hubs so i don't need to muck about with conversion hubs, and on the back I'm going to have some custom hubs.

My Dad is a machinist, and he's going to make a 5 stud hub I can use with my 1.8 rear beam. I'll have to re-drill my 1.8 discs as I cant find any 5x110 240mm discs, but that's easy enough, and dad can do new ones for me whenever so it's no big hassle.

In other news, my new h beam con rods turned up from Courtenay sport..

Picked up the block from the machine shop today. All rebored and ready for the vxr pistons.

And I bought an astra vxr steering wheel. It came with the silver vxr plastics, but I prefer the piano black ones as it will match my dash.

I will be buying all of my gaskets, remaining bearings, water pump, oil pump and timing belt ready for rebuilding in the next week. After that, progress might be slow for a while until I buy a van for work. Can't take the corsa off the road as it's my daily.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts