Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Progress has been slow in the last few weeks. Been busy doing timing chains and servicing everyone else's cars.

This weekend, I built the bottom end up. Z20LEH pistons in with ZRP H beam rods and ARP bolts. Balancer shaft delete fitted too.

Sump fitted. I'll replace the lower sump down the line. Looks like the last owner was a little low.

New oil pump.

Pistons in.

And my new wheels turned up. They're astra sxi alloys. I saw them on SS7's 1.7 corsa and loved them. Also got hold of some 1.7 hubs to use with my 5 stud set up.

·
Premium Member
50,213 Posts
Never liked those alloys as standard but on ss7s they were lovely in black so good choice :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Time for a bit of an update.

After I started building up the block I needed to buy a new van for work so progress halted until I had saved up for that. I ended up buying a astravan.

It looks like a dirty 4x4 here but you get the idea

In last couple of months I've been building up the engine as and when I have had the cash.

First up was arp head studs

The head went off to be machined, pressure tested, valves reseated and cleaned, and also valve seal retainers fitted.

I then fitted the head with new leh gaskets and new tappets as the old ones were badly scored.

And thats the engine done. You can see the aircon delete fitted here too.

The rocker cover will be repainted at some point, when I have my interior parts done.

Next up is the gearbox. I've decided to go nuts and get a Quaife ATB LSD as I don't want to have the gearbox out again if I can help it, and I've heard how much they improve the car.

Should be stripping the gearbox and getting the engine in the bay in the next few weeks.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
pleased to see the engine built up.

A quaife will transform then car! however an ATB and LSD are two different things..

ATB = automatic torque biasing = gives power to wheel with most grip
LSD = limited slip differential = locks axles so they spin equally, can be available in 2/1.5/1 - depending on what level of slip required.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. ATB for me then!

Have you got one in yours 1.8t?
I have yes, had one in my F17 gearbox, and another in my F28 - there is an argument that plate diffs are better, but personally I prefer an ATB. Takes a bit of getting used to when cornering, as it will pull the car into the corner, almost feels like if you keep your foot down on a bend, you could let go of the steering wheel and it would carry on going - not that i would try that!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Small update today. Finally bit the bullet and this turned up this afternoon.

I split the box, cleaned it up, removed the diff and prepped everything for the quaife. I'll fit it tomorrow when the loctite turns up

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
I finished the gearbox last week.

First I went up the workshop to remove the shims from the old diff, and to fit the new bearings to the quaife.

Once that was done, I put the box back together and painted it.

After a fair few hours with a wire brush atatchement and various dremel bits the box looked like this.

Followed by primer,

Then paint.

Im really happy with the results. All I need now is a clutch set and a couple of mounts and its ready to go in the bay.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
looks very nice :D dont think i would have the balls to take a box to bits :lol:
Cheers. It's not so bad really, just gotta make sure you don't knock anything out of place.

the quaife diff is gona make such a change on the handling on that car now...
bet u cant wait to get her plumbed in..:grin:
I'm counting down the days. Just need a couple more bits and it will be good to go.

I polished my fuel rail today. Just fancied something a bit different, although you can hardly see it now its fitted :lol1:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cheers. It's not so bad really, just gotta make sure you don't knock anything out of place.

I'm counting down the days. Just need a couple more bits and it will be good to go.

I polished my fuel rail today. Just fancied something a bit different, although you can hardly see it now its fitted :lol1:

if i ever decide to do a zlet and it gets halfway as good as ur build i will be happy...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Time for an update :)

After I finished the gearbox, I ended up getting distracted and bought an se styling kit for the van. After spending some cash on getting all that painted, i was a bit skint for a while so didnt spend anything on the corsa, but Since christmas I've been going nuts again. I've got to get it finished and on the road for the summer.

So, this weekend I stripped the corsa down and removed the engine. No pics as everyon e has seen it a thousand times.

I cant believe how easily it came out tbh, was out in a couple of hours.

All of the other parts needed to mount the engine have turned up too. I ended up going with a courtenay competition clutch. Should be good for what I need.

Got some nice new griveshafts too..

Painted up my knuckles and fitted new bearings and 1.7 hubs.

I bought a Combo anti roll bar as the standard 1.2 one is tiny, and the combo one is 22mm. it all fits great so will be putting that in when the powerflex bushes arrive.

New wishbones, trackrod ends and drop links

also got some polybushes for the wishbones. I've fitted the purple ones but am having trouble removing the bushes to fit the black ones. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I manages to get the VXR steering wheel fitted, and sourced a green plug opel steering wheel from Germany so I now have a matching airbag too,

I fitted the gearstick for the new gearbox. I'll probably polish it at some point as it looks a bit sad atm.

I've only added a couple of bits to the engine. I bought a tensioner bracket for the alternator, aswell as a nice stainless coolant pipe and some pretty intake pipes.

I'll be getting everything mounted thios weekend so should post again then.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
50,213 Posts
1.7CDTi stick that is aint it?
Looks great though I hate my z20 :lol:

61 - 80 of 99 Posts