Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm looking at applying for a temp, part time job at Halfords until college starts. Got a app form. Was just wondering, do they expect you to change car batteries etc and stuff, or will it just be a normal retail job, stacking shelves, helping customers etc

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
32,874 Posts
Depends which department you are looking at.

I imagine they will want you to have knowledge of automotive and general mechanical handy man stuff.

Changing a battery isn't exaclty taxing.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
ppl i know who work at halfords either stack shelves are on tills or just generally help customers with "can you open the cabinet so i can get a spanner" issues

work somewhere thats a bit more busy, like an electrical store there where you actually gain knowledge and get the satisfaction when you make a sale and the customer walks away happy

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
retail sis retail wherever you go its rubbish money and rubbish work very repetative ive been doing DIY retail for about 2 years and the knowlage u will gain will be questions so many times because you are young and you'll find them asking older people ect.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only looking for 2 months max before college starts, and maybe continue as a Saturday job. So not really fussed if it's boring lol, but seeing as it's Halfords thought it might be more interesting than most other retail 'poop' :p

·
Registered
21,904 Posts
**** halfords. they wanted to sell me a £30 quid adaptor so i could fit an aftermarket head unit, AND told me that i would need to either wire the HU to the cigarette lighter or the battery (fused ofc). when all you need to do is put the right wire in the right hole on the standard corsa block!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A course to change car bulbs. I'll probably get extremely restless being taught the obvious, but 3 days, thats not bad, may even learn a thing or two.

Hopefuly I get the job, still need to hand in app form. Havn't worked before, so only sufficent reference/experience I have is a Motor Vehicle course which I did in year 10 and got maximum marks in everything, and the work experience I did in year 11 in a electronic retail store (they loved me, they gave me max marks in everything aswell :)) Got 9 A-C at GCSE 7 B's & 2 C'S

You reckon that will be sufficent?

·
Registered
619 Posts
At my local halfords all the employees stand and talk to each other in a group, which is silly because that makes people frightened of approaching them to ask questions. But they don't do much really lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
**** halfords. they wanted to sell me a £30 quid adaptor so i could fit an aftermarket head unit, AND told me that i would need to either wire the HU to the cigarette lighter or the battery (fused ofc). when all you need to do is put the right wire in the right hole on the standard corsa block!
They tried to rip my Dad off with the same 40 pound HU adapter. Went to the local audio centre and got it for a 10 pound ! :eek:

·
Registered
21,904 Posts
They tried to rip my Dad off with the same 40 pound HU adapter. Went to the local audio centre and got it for a 10 pound ! :eek:
you probably didnt even need that. makes it easier though. i just used a multimeter to find ground, permanent live and ignition live, and a 9v battery to identify which pairs were the speakers :)

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
my local one offers to fit headlight bulbs for £2.99, take a facelift corsa and ask them to do it, purely for the laughter benefit :lol:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts