Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Corsa C, 1.4cc, Z14XE engine, with air conditioning.

The battery light came on while driving. The Corsa has been over a few high speed bumps recently (not too fast; 10-15mph rather than the 5mph I would have chosen--teaching the wife to drive!). Managed to drive 10 miles home without any problem. When I started it the next day, the idle rate goes very slow every 15 seconds or so and lasts for a couple of seconds, and the battery light goes out while the revs are very slow then comes on again at normal idle speed.

I think it's a dodgy alternator, but I'm wondering whether it could be the MAF or something else.

Faint high-pitch sound that doesn't seem to be coming from the alternator. Vague smell of burning that I can't locate. Does have a very minor oil drip, and the coolant needed topping up.

Anyone have any suggestions before I replace the alternator?

I tried the pedal fault-code test but I just get a constantly flashing spanner, which this great website tells me means there's no error code stored.

After 10 miles, battery was 12.2v. No change when the engine is running, which leaves me thinking the alternator is kaput, but why the regular irregularity with the revs?

Battery is only a year old and the terminals and earth connection are clean and tight.

If it is the alternator, which one should I buy for a Z14XE with air con (higher ampage?)?

Any help?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alternator needs replacing just get it reconditioned at a local firm around £60 . easy job to change yourself
Get your battery charged up with a battery charger asap when my alternator failed ( I got no warning light just ran out of battery charge ) my battery that was only 2 years old was knackered due to persistent low charge .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just strip your alternator off and take to the recondition firm they can then do yours so you know it's correct . I did this I just scratched my initials into the casing in a couple of places so I know I got my original back . Picked it up the next day .
They will test your main copper windings clean them up and reuse , but the clutch , diodes , brushes should all be replaced . I got a 12 month warranty .
I put a new belt on as well
Some firms may have reconditioned stock ready to go on the shelf ( I wanted my own alternator back on the car )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts