Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Please can someone let me know if they have a spare protective cap for the positive battery terminals. It is a roughly flat piece of plastic that sits on top of the terminal posts and cables and clips round one of the battery cables on the left side of the plastic. I think it clips in to the two holes that are on a standard battery handle. I am evening my car this year and mine is missing and the scrutineer states that I have to have one. The usual replacement items you can get at Halfords and eBay do not fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
to work safely you do not need at all, plus each battery to work safely you do not need at all, also each battery can carry or not carry it depends on the brands, but to be sure it is one more ornament, it does not influence you whether you carry it or not

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I know the item is not required and the car will run without it. However, I am using this car in racing events and they have to comply with regulations, and they say that the terminals must be protected, just in case a mechanic accidentally places a spanner across the terminals etc. I cannot get off the shelf items to fit as they are designed mainly for single cables and the Corsa has two. The simplest thing to do is fit a correct, original part. Does anyone have one please?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a battery cable cover from my old battery it has 2 vertical round pegs that clip into the battery . Will attempt to take a few photos and post soon you are welcome to it as it does not fit my new battery .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a battery cable cover from my old battery it has 2 vertical round pegs that clip into the battery . Will attempt to take a few photos and post soon you are welcome to it as it does not fit my new battery .
Hi zxdragon777,
That sounds like the correct item. My battery has the holes that the pegs should fit in to. It may have the number GM 24 434 650 on the underside. If it has that it is definitely correct.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi zxdragon777,
That sounds like the correct item. My battery has the holes that the pegs should fit in to. It may have the number GM 24 434 650 on the underside. If it has that it is definitely correct.
Hey sorry wasn't feeling very well so didn't get out to the garage will try over the weekend don't worry if it's the right part it has your name on it . presume it came on the original battery as I have had the car from new and I remember switching it to the last battery but it doesn't fit the new one I got a couple of years ago so it's on the Corsa shelf had the car from new over 17 years now

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi , just to let you know I managed to get into my garage today and get the battery cover . I will attempt to link some pictures and get any details off it . Then if it's the correct one I'll post it out to you .
Sorry for the delay been struggling with a stomach bug or something so just been feeling really tired and rotten .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi zxdragon777. It is the item I was after but it appears it will not fit my car. For some reason I have a non-standard battery terminal that is much taller than the original item and it means this cover will not fit as the locating pins cannot reach the mounting holes in the battery. Really sorry for the inconvenience. Hope you recover from the bug soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Will have a look at the old battery tonight since I am charging up my car as it's only done 2 short journeys in the last 2 months so I have to go into the garage anyway ( my garage is stand alone at the back of the garden ) .
Not sure if there is any reason why the cover fits the old non factory battery and not the new one the original Vauxhall battery I replaced at about 12 years .
This is now my third battery . The second battery got killed off at 4 years old because the alternator went on the blink and the glow plugs were #### well 3 of 4 glow plugs were ##### how the hell it started I have no idea .
Will see if there is any plastic part on the old battery , but I think it just happened to have the holes correct for the cover to slot into if I remember correctly .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers zxdragon777. I have looked at a couple of cars and some have just the black plastic part you photographed and a normal positive terminal connector, and a few have a spacer part that fits between the battery and the plastic cover to clear a taller angled terminal connector. I presume they changed the design at some point. No idea why though. If you have the spacer too that would be excellent. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I must have lost the piece that goes in-between when I changed the battery out not sure if it's worth a trip to the breakers as I presume they remove all the batteries from the car .
My local breakers are only a mile down the road so I might have a run down there since it's dry at the moment .
You learn something everyday normally it's a bolt , nut , screw that you drop that disappears

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do they sell the piece in-between the battery and the cover at the Dealers ?
Otherwise I was thinking of making 2 seperate pieces of wood with a drilled hole in one end and a wooden dowel in the other . Should be easy enought to manufacture a spacer now I know what I have lost .
Quite easy and annoying to lose when you change the battery you don't think to look trouble was I exchanged my battery over in the car park of Delta Batteries at Bolton 2 years ago that other piece will be long gone

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If they don't make you like in Spain and they tell you that you can't ask just to not bother, what I do is call the dealer and ask for the reference directly, so they tell you if there is

1 - 15 of 15 Posts