Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
January Feature Car
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Corrado.net forum, a member in Scotland was selling his tuned VR6 at a bargain price, considering the work that's gone into it, and when I saw it I thought it's something I can't ignore, so I spent 10 hours on the train to go view and test drive the car, and put a deposit on it the same day.
Then today/yesterday I spent another 5 hours on the train to go collect it...

As far as I am aware... here are the specifications... (I'll be looking through the vast number of receipts in due course to see if I've missed anything). Here's Bill's thread too: http://www.the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46677

- Schrick VGI (variable geometry intake) inlet manifold
- Schrick 268 cams
- Skimmed and reconditioned cylinder head
- Big bore throttle body
- Supersprint 6 branch heat-wrapped exhaust manifold
- Milltek hi-flow sports-cat
- Milltek cat-back exhaust system
- BMC CDA
- AmD chip
- Brembo 323mm 4-pot brakes
- KW variant 1 coilovers
- OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 wheels
- Audi TT front seats, original rear seats retrimmed to match
- Vibratech front engine mount
- Lupo GTi wiper conversion

I've been told by a few people that with a remap it'd be somewhere between 230 and 240bhp. Others say more, some say less, but we'll see...

There is a Rolling Road printout from September 2000, when the car had the Schrick manifold and AmD chip fitted. I'll try scan these in at a later date, but for now, the results are as follows:

- Maximum Power Speed 5552 Rpm (110.5 Mph in gear used)
- Power at Flywheel (Corrected) = 205.3 Bhp
- Power at Flywheel (Measured) = 198.9 Bhp
- Power at Wheels = 143.7 Bhp
- Power Loss (Transmission, Tyres, etc) = 55.2 Bhp

- Maximum Torque speed 3668 Rpm (73.0 Mph in gear used)
- Maximum Engine Torque (Corrected) = 238.8 lb ft

- Maximum Road Speed reached in Test = 124.0 Mph
- Maximum Engine Speed reached in Test = 6231 Rpm

There's also 2 power and 2 torque graphs, I assume one is the before and the other is after... so if that is the case, then here is the improvement...

BEFORE: 188.7 Bhp @ 5558 Rpm, 192.7 lb ft @ 4213 Rpm
AFTER: 205.3 Bhp @ 5552 Rpm, 238.8 lb ft @ 3668 Rpm
GAINS: 16.6 Bhp, 46.1 lb ft

My immediate plans are to fit the two rolled front arches and undented passenger door that Bill supplied with the car, along with general cleaning it up, giving it a good polish, fixing up the interior which has a few issues (heater fan only working on speed 4, loose handbrake cover and dash etc).

I want to take it to Awesome GTi for a full service and checkover as soon as possible too, just for peace of mind. Also I want it put on a rolling road (as much to find any hidden faults/problems as to get a power readout) and get it weighed at a weigh bridge. That way I'll have power/torque and weight figures for how the car was when I started MY progress. May even go to a RWYB day at Santa Pod and get some 1/4 mile times too.

Longer term, I'm gonna be putting my mark on it, changing a few things, such as the wheels. The bodywork isn't perfect, although it is fine for now, and the intention is to get it resprayed eventually. I'm constantly keeping my eye out on ebay for bargains, and will be looking out for a new smaller steering wheel, perhaps a bargain pair of seats, couple of smaller things, then see what's what. Other plans are to swap out the damaged and polish-stained splitter for a smaller version, that won't catch on pavements and speed bumps, and also get the VW/Corrado/VR6 badges sprayed satin black.

In the interest of it running as best it can though, I'm gonna remap it as soon as I can afford to take it to Stealth, not gonna take it to anyone but an expert, and Stealth are about as good as it gets with VRs from what I've been told by VR owners. Also looking at polybushing it sooner rather than later, the standard bushes will no doubt be worn by now.

When I can afford to, I'll get a second car, daily driver, and turn this into a less practical car... stripping it to lose as much weight as possible for free, then start the more expensive weight saving, carbon bonnet/boot etc. Eventually I intend to turn this into a track monster.

So here is the car from when I went to test drive her.

I was looking on the Corrado.net forum and found a group buy from several months earlier on the Wavetrac limited slip diff, so posted in the thread asking for reviews on it. One of the guys who hadn't got round to fitting his (greasegriff) offered to sell me his, as he received it, so thought that was an opportunity I couldn't really miss.

I then noticed on VR6 OC that Neal was selling a Gemini 6-speed gearbox... so I put a deposit down on that too.

Here's a description of how the Wavetrac diff works, for anyone who's interested: http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

The Gemini box uses the same final drive as the standard box, and same ratio 1st & 2nd gears, but 3rd-5th are all shorter than the standard box, with 6th gear slightly longer than the standard 5th. Basically, the Gemini box has fitted an extra gear between 3rd and 5th compared to the standard box.

To improve acceleration I could have lowered the final drive ratio, but that means I'd have had a short top gear, the 6 speed box is the best of both... close ratio gears for faster acceleration, but without having to rev ******** off the engine on the motorway.

I won't be fitting them straight away though... I'll get the diff fitted into the gearbox, then I'll wait and get an uprated clutch and lightened flywheel, then fit the whole lot together.

Only one full working day after paying, the Wavetrac LSD arrived. I already have a quote, direct from TTV, for a lightened flywheel... now I'm just trying to sort something out with Helix for a paddle clutch.

Here's the diff and fitting kit:

Here's the pictures from after collecting her:

Just under 300 miles from Bill's to mine... did it on one tank, with a final average MPG of 27.2, which included about 150 miles of twisty a and b roads, and a lot of 85-90 cruising when I hit the A1/M1.

The way the car pulls is just staggering... even up a rather steep hill in 5th gear, the car will be doing 80 and still accelerate, the torque and power is unbelievable... coming off roundabouts, one burst of throttle and you're already doing over the speed limit... after a few seconds you're getting close to licence-losing speed.

I'm just gonna have to get used to being a bit more cautious... in a car like this I could easily rack up points, I've kept my licence clean for nearly 4 years, don't want to start collecting SP30s now!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Car looks great! :), i think a different splitter that is nearly touching the ground would give it one hell of a mean look!
Plans sound good also! How come you got interested in these type of cars then? I've never seen one down my way!

·
Premium Member
18,687 Posts
Lovely :) Look forward to seeing it in the flesh. Let me know when you're heading to Awesome, I need to pop in to get my front ARB measured up for polybushing, will nip over and say hello and check her out. The power of a decent VAG lump is pretty cool when it hits isn't it? This makes me want to start tuning mine again :D

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,365 Posts
nice mate

always like theses cars

·
January Feature Car
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car looks great! :), i think a different splitter that is nearly touching the ground would give it one hell of a mean look!
Plans sound good also! How come you got interested in these type of cars then? I've never seen one down my way!
Haha I had a closer look this morning, and the splitter has been cut down so it's smaller... but I think I may get a genuine 50mm one (standards are 80mm I think)... don't want it too low or it'll scrape on everything, but don't want it too high, cos I want to scrape the splitter before I smash the sump!

I've always wanted a Corrado VR6 and a Skyline R34 GTR... just the Skyline to get now :lol:

very smart ben, great choice
Thanks Karl

looks nice, bet the milltek exhaust system made you buy it :p
One of the many reasons... the brakes, the fact it's a VR6, the tuning that has been done so far, the potential it's got...

Lovely :) Look forward to seeing it in the flesh. Let me know when you're heading to Awesome, I need to pop in to get my front ARB measured up for polybushing, will nip over and say hello and check her out. The power of a decent VAG lump is pretty cool when it hits isn't it? This makes me want to start tuning mine again :D
It'll be some time in late August or early September I think... I'm gonna get in touch with them, find out how much it's gonna cost and when I can book it in for, then I'll let you know.

nice mate

always like theses cars
Thanks

·
January Feature Car
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this looks ace! split rims needed! :D

ive wanted one since i was like 15 too, theyre cool and this one looks really clean :) imma keep an eye out on this. hope youre happy with it anyway
Thanks dude, I'm going for Comps not split rims though... I don't want it to be scene... more functional

·
January Feature Car
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love it Ben. :)

paint doesn't look to bad aswel!
Nah there's nothing really too bad about it, the two wings and passenger door will sort out some of the scratches and small dents... then there's just one of the sills where someone tried to jack it up :\
Then a few scratches, chips, small dents and parking dings etc, but it is 17 years old

Noticed there is a slight leak on the sump gasket, but it only seems to be when the engine is running (there was only a tiny patch after the car sat on the drive overnight, and there's another same sized patch under the car now but it's not got any bigger since 5 minutes after the engine was turned off)

And the engine burns oil when it gets close to the redline, so thought best to check the oil and top up... So it's just had a healthy couple of litres of Mobil 10W-40 to take it to the top of the dipstick level line

I'll look at replacing the sump gasket, and when I do, also sticking a baffled sump on, maybe even a baffled alloy one from a 4Motion or R32 or whatever they're off

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Looks great mate can't wait to see it in the flesh

·
January Feature Car
15,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great mate can't wait to see it in the flesh
Come to Leeds and see it then mate!

looks good mate, if you get rid of the audi tt seats i may know someone that will have them :)
I'd probably sell the rear seats with them, there's plenty of people who are already asking me how the hell they fit :lol:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts