Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Too much force and you stand a chance of breaking the linkage, use a hacksaw to cut it off if you aren't going to use it again, damned messy though, gets everywhere, my personal chocie is to melt a line down it with a soldering iron, works well on the handbrake handle as well.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I still say an axe loooooads more fun. Mine came off with a twist id clamped the gear shaft first though as i was worried about the linkage being damaged. You do need alot of force to chift them though.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
twist and pull hard

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Just tried to change mine actually. Its moving around in a circle clicking as though its attached to something. WOnt budge otehrwise. Hacksaw time perhaps?

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
i recommend not to try twist it of as u may damage the gear linkage.the best way would be to cut straight down the standard one and then peal it of andd then cut away the white plastic until u jus have the metal rod showing,,,,

p.s.watever u do dont cut the lift reverse bit

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Right gave up on the twisting and have been hacking away with a mini hacksaw an a flathead screw driver. This is the progress so far
Before

midway through i got angry

What the hells this!

Do i cu the white plastic off completely?

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
yep.....take the plastic white bit off then ur left wit the metal rod.....the screw in the new knob wit the allen keys and jus test oout the position for the correct hieght for teh left reverse

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
do i need to very carefully saw it off? cant get much to grip on that now. plus i screw drivered my finger so its a bit more difficult now

·
Registered
11,281 Posts
well i got my bread knife from my kitchen and a pair of pliers and jus cut in the middle of the white bit and around until i hit the metal then jus started to take bits out.takes a while mate but if u scratch the metal thin alot it aint too bad

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
When you said it's going round in circles and clicking, thats the time to pull like **** as you've broken the glue holding it on. i've removed two now just by twisting them and linkages are still going strong.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
no chance of it just twisting off had a look at the remains hacksaw is what you need for it just be very careful. I may whack it as a tutorial if its not been done before

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
no chance of it just twisting off had a look at the remains hacksaw is what you need for it just be very careful. I may whack it as a tutorial if its not been done before
Trust me u CAN get it off with just twisting. put a towel over it and twist like **** to the left while holding the gearstick with the other hand. i've done 2 gearknobs without hacksaws and both were off within about 60 seconds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts