Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When i go out in the morning i cant seem to get it into get any gear and when trying to go into reverse it crunches sit for 5-10 mins trying to put it into gear with the car running and when it does go into gear start driving but trying to get it into gear is hard but after driving for 20 mins or so gears are fine and change fine all day what can it be? Thanks

Just puzzles me that i cant get it into gear when i first go to drive it in the morning but then after 5 mins i get it into all gears but with a bit of force and then after 20 mins gears are fine 1 to 5 but reverse crunches all the time no matter what time :-(

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Could need a new linkage. Failing that the whole gearbox could be knackered.

I'd buy a linkage off eBay £20 ish and get a garage to fit it. Shouldn't be too expensive and see if that cures it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It can do if it's not lining up properly
If it's not lining up it won't select!easy way to test for linkage wear is to try select all gears when engine is turned off,if you can select all them without any force or problems the linkage is fine!

·
Registered
22,218 Posts
If it's not lining up it won't select!easy way to test for linkage wear is to try select all gears when engine is turned off,if you can select all them without any force or problems the linkage is fine!
When mine was on the way out sometimes it would crunch other times it would select fine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's probably due to the colder weather and gearbox oil being thicker when cold.
Hence why when gbox is warm after 20mins it's fine.
Thats what i thought mate but just wasent sure after the car is running for 10 mins or so the gears are fine go into every gear fine its just first thing in the morning i was thinking of the gear box oil being thicker but then it would do that with every car in the cold mornings would it not?

And also just for the other replies i have the same problem in the morning if the car is running or not

·
Registered
134 Posts
If it gets better when warm, it's clutch drag.

Either the friction plate is worn down thin or there's air in the hydraulics, so when you push the clutch in, it cant separate the pressure plate from the friction plate properly.
Then when you try putting it in gear, the engine is still turning the input shaft of the 'box and the cogs on it, hence the crunch as one or more moving cogs hit one or more stationary ones that are held stationary by the car's wheels.

Put it in reverse and same again only this time the input shaft and cogs are still moving one way and hitting stationary ones that run the other way, hence a bigger crunch.

When it warms up, there's less drag on the gearbox as the oil is warm and the clutch warms a little and slips easier.

How much bite does the clutch have? Does it bite low on the pedal travel?
How many miles has the car got on it? Any evidence of a clutch replacement?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it gets better when warm, it's clutch drag.

Either the friction plate is worn down thin or there's air in the hydraulics, so when you push the clutch in, it cant separate the pressure plate from the friction plate properly.
Then when you try putting it in gear, the engine is still turning the input shaft of the 'box and the cogs on it, hence the crunch as one or more moving cogs hit one or more stationary ones that are held stationary by the car's wheels.

Put it in reverse and same again only this time the input shaft and cogs are still moving one way and hitting stationary ones that run the other way, hence a bigger crunch.

When it warms up, there's less drag on the gearbox as the oil is warm and the clutch warms a little and slips easier.

How much bite does the clutch have? Does it bite low on the pedal travel?
How many miles has the car got on it? Any evidence of a clutch replacement?
When i bought the car last owner said that the clutch hadent been done that long ago but i cant tell if it has or hasent and when i was putting my foot on the clutch the clutch pedal was going down about a inch and a half before i felt anything in the pedal and when i continue to put my foot to the floor put it into gear and go to lift my foot of the clutch to move of the clutch is just of the floor about 1cm and it starts moving off ? Does that help anything? And thanks for the reply and sorry its done 87000 odd miles and i just got the timing done and new water pump done aswell

·
Registered
432 Posts
When i bought the car last owner said that the clutch hadent been done that long ago but i cant tell if it has or hasent and when i was putting my foot on the clutch the clutch pedal was going down about a inch and a half before i felt anything in the pedal and when i continue to put my foot to the floor put it into gear and go to lift my foot of the clutch to move of the clutch is just of the floor about 1cm and it starts moving off ? Does that help anything? And thanks for the reply and sorry its done 87000 odd miles and i just got the timing done and new water pump done aswell
You either have a hydraulic issue(air in the system or master cylinder failing) or pressure plate is worn,only reasons why your clutch pedal would be the way you've explained,
if it's hydraulic if you pump the pedal a few times before trying to select a gear and you can select without any force,grinding etc then try bleeding the system before replacing anything
If it's still the same after trying that then your clutch needs replaced

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine was well worn when it came out, even the heads of the rivets holding the friction material on were worn down.
It was so bad cold I had to start it in whatever gear I needed first and hold the clutch down otherwise my fillings fell out of my teeth because of the grinding.

I'd take no notice of what the last owner said if there's no evidence like receipts, take it as bull!

Try a slip test first.
Stick the car in third, build the revs up to normal pulling away rpm and try pulling away with the handbrake on.
It should stall pretty much straight away, if it continues to run with the clutch up, the friction plate is worn and it's slipping.
or
Get four of your fattest mates in the car and find a very steep hill.
Boot it up the hill, hanging onto the redline before changing up.
If the car's rpm scream up quick yet the road speed doesn't match the engine speed, it's slipping.

Other than that, try getting the clutch hydraulics bled and checked for leaks, shouldn't take a garage too long to bleed it out ad pull new/clean fluid through if you can't yourself.
It might improve it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats for all the help and advice got it sorted now after a week of mucking about trying diff things it was the clutch master cylinder as you did say hunta so got it sorted and fitted today all feels good so far but will let you know when i go out in the morning when its been laying all night in the cold to see if it goes into gear as it should will let you know but as it feels just now goes into gear fine all gears and also dosent grind in any gear so hope thats the end of it :)

Thanks for all the help and advice off everyone :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem in Astra and is resolved after changing the clutch return spring as it was broken on inspection

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.