Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tutorial is for people experiencing problems with their speedometer. There's a good possibility that the problem could be directly related to the clock itself but in my case it was the speed sensor on the passenger side front wheel. NOTE this is probably only relevant to pre facelift models with no ABS.

Symptoms

Erratic movement of the speedo needle which eventually leads to a completely dead speedo and the engine management light coming on.

Cause

Damaged speedo cable and sensor. Possibly caused by not clipping the cable back to the shock absorber and letting it rub on the disc.

Remedy

1. First things first, get hold of a replacement sensor which should look like this:

The GM part number is either 'AS9115064' or 'GR009154' but i'm not sure as it wasn't clear on the packet.

2. Jack the car up and be extremely careful making sure you always use axle stands and chocks on other wheels. Then remove the wheel.

3. Locate the speed sensor which is directly behind the brake disc and remove the retaining bolt. It's not hard to find and i simply used an allen key to remove the bolt. The sensor will then become free to remove from its hole.

4. Locate the other end of the speed sensor cable by following it back from the speed sensor. It is at the back of the wheel arch, slightly to the left of the shock absorber and is next to the brake line. You should find something that looks like this:

Disconnect the bottom from the top as shown.

5. Remove the upper of the two connectors from it's holding bracket on the back of the wheel arch. As both ends of the sensor cable are now free (sensor itself and the connector) you can take it out of the wheel arch and away from the car.

6. Connect the new speedo cable by taking the connector end and connecting it with the ECU wiring loom connector from before. Once you have connected it, place it back onto the holding bracket.

7. Take the other end of the sensor cable (the sensor itself) and place it into it's hole making sure the holes for the retaining bolt are lined up.

8. Put the bolt back in. Do it 'hand tight' at first, then use the allen key to fully tighten it.

9. Finally, now that both the connector and sensor end are secure, clip the middle section of the cable back onto the shock absorber. NOTE this is possibly the most important part, as the whole reason why mine was damaged was because it wasn't clipped back and it was touching the break disc.

10. Put the wheel back on making sure all the bolts are tight and lower the car back down. Go for a spin round the block. The ECU may take a few minutes to recognise the new sensor; then the engine management light should disappear and the speedometer should work again.

Just to let everyone know, this is what my knackered one looked like after it had been rubbing on my brake disc:

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
2005 Opel Corsa C 1.2 Twinport (Z12XEP)
4 Posts
Great tutorial! I would recommend this video tutorial on YouTube that explains exactly how to change an ABS or Wheel speed sensor in a few minutes. Really easy and only cost around €35!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.