Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WELCOME!

This is my progress thread for my cheapo Tigra, just a little project to get the last out of summer.

DETAILS
TIGRA (B) TwinTop
1.4 Exclusiv
91,000 miles

SPECS
Heated Leather Seats
A/C
Aftermarket Android "7 Multimedia Headunit

It's a 13 year old car that has had multiple previous owners so it naturally comes with a few issues but, asides an odd idle it runs sweet, did a 250 mile run back from collecting it on just over half a tank and it drove flawlessly.

The lack of Cruise Control was apparent though, I have had Cruise Control for over 5 years now but it is one of the first mods I shall be doing.

ISSUES

Sloppy Indicator Stalk - (New Cruise Control Stalk FITTED)
Vague Gear Shift
Wiper Blades Sit High
Hydraulic Bootlid Struggles
No Remote Fob, Plain Key - (New Remote received from pugh125k)
Front Fogs Don't Work
Bonnet Needs Pulling Up to Pop It - (New Cable arrived)
Bonnet Wont Engage When Dropped - (As above)
Scuffed and Worn Boomerangs
Sticky to touch Handbrake Handle - (Cleaned up fine but I would like to replace it)
Slightly Odd Idle
A/C Doesn't Work
Aerial Base Seal Degraded
Headunit Sloppily Fitted
Missing Spark Plug Cover
Passenger Window Switch doesn't work - (Fixed)
Mirror Controls don't work for Left and Right - (Fixed)
Bodywork is scuffed from improper care/polishing
3rd Brakelight has dirt around the edges
Both Rear Lights are cracked

Again nothing unexpected from an older car with no history, came with some MOT but that's it, if anyone has any opinions, hints or tips about fixing any issues please post below, all help is greatly appreciated.

PLANS, MODS & JOBS

Fit Cruise Control - (Parts Ordered)
Oil and Filter Change
Spark Plugs
Replace Missing Engine/Spark Plug Cover
Upgrade the Interior Light with a Map Light unit - (Fitted, not wired)
LED Bulb Upgrades
Side Lights - (Warm White fitted)
Fog Lights/DRLs
Dash Lights and Switches
Rear Light Mods
Boot Light - (Fitted a Cool White LED for now)
Courtesy Lights - (Warm White fitted, may get brighter ones)
Clean up the engine bay

I shall fix as many issues as I can and as cheap as possible, it will get a full comprehensive service and clean-up, at least the cam-chain is quiet.:D

I shall update with my progress.

UPDATED: 27/09/20

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'm a nightly ebay sniffer of all Corsa, Combo and Tigra listings (although I skim Corsa D and Tigra items usually if they're not common to the C and Combo). I'm also not far from you when I'm in the UK so I'll bear your thread in mind and can flag up a steal if I see one.
Roof folding and storing not-so-automatically are a weakness that I've seen come up on fora for quite a while and I suppose will be more likely as they get older. The boomerangs are a popular grab for C and Combo owners (I have them in mine) so they're hard to find <£20 the pair. You might consider freshening up what you have.
It's handy that your indicator stalk is a good excuse for getting a CC one. Few NOS ones are left and are listed much higher than Vauxhall's rrp was when they were easy enough to order at a dealership. Even used ones sold quickly but recently they were like buses. I got one for £15 incl then another appeared about £13 so I thought I'd not let that pass, then a third appeared around £11 but it was just too nuts to get a third one. So I have a spare if they suddenly vanish again like Keyser Söze.
How are the leather seats holding up? Got the usual seat belt rub on the driver's side bolster?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course I do lol, just the way it is with seats.

Got a couple of stalks on my watch list, like you I will scroll through many items and do numerous searches on part numbers and the minimum key words to get a wide result.

I'll be painting the hockey sticks and dash pieces, may seem counter productive but I was thinking gloss black.

I'm handy with a soldering iron and done loads of LED conversions to switches, I mostly did Rover stuff but I cut my teeth on Vecta B and Corsa B stuff, I was one of a couple of guys who did radio, mirror and window controls back in the day

Might try cool white with it being a silver car.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Piano black on the D centres looks nice so I can imagine it working well. My Combo Tour was a sea of mid-grey hard plastic so I got the silver-alloy look to lighten it up a bit. I found ('skirts of L'pool funnily enough) some Exclusiv seats that were as unscraped as I could find but even they have it a bit on the driver's seat. On the plus side, mine is LHD so I'm sitting on the unscathed passenger seat and taking care when belting up. The downside is that a passenger seat on a C has no height adjuster and they sit low in a Combo. I would seriously like some 2009 Tigra leathers as they are much better leather but a pre-2009 Tigra passenger leather would at least let me raise it a bit.

It occurred to me, if you buy a fresh remote key you might as well time it to take along with your CC stalk to Marks152 while his laptop and Opcom are plugged in (assuming he's able to do some work for you).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered a new flip fob from Pugh125k last night and once it is cut and I have the CC bits that would be the ideal Plan.

The leather in my 08 Astra TwinTop Exclusiv Black seemed to be half decent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I to got my hand's on an 09 Tigra exclusive so have the leather heated seats but had no cruise so a stalk and a clutch switch with sought and a copy of opcom and after some excellent advice on here it all work's :}

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sounds like it needs a full service, may be new brakes and bit of a freshen up. All pretty simple stuff.
There is a guide to roof maintenance on youtube which I have found useful. At a guess the hydraulic oil probably needs changing as part of the service. This is shown in the guide. you need to do it several times to flush out the old oil from the system so get at least 1 litre of hydraulic oil. Also lubricate all the pivot points and clean/lubricate all the door and roof rubbers.
I still never get this big fuss over cruise control? only time I have ever been able to use it was in road works on the motorway stuck at 50mph. anywhere else there is not enough clear road to need it I find.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Marks was saying he uses it on his 3-pot every day. Tbh that surprised me as I don't feel the need much on my Modus in Spain and only on my mad eBay collection trips (7hrs round trip for two items yesterday) in UK.
I'm desperate for the Combo Tour, though, because my right ankle falls off doing the Preston to Malaga run.

·
Registered
977 Posts
So much traffic on the roads around south central England you never get a clear run to use it during the day. Maybe a night on motorways but certainly not during peak times. Most of my driving is B roads and towns so a lot of stop start traffic. Can the Corsa cruise control be used as a speed limiter? That may be useful? I know you can have a limiter programmed on most Vauxhalls from around 2000 onwards, but then it's hard set always on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the confirmation Geoff!

Corsaz22e I use my CC on my daily every time I drive it, in a way by using it you never need to worry about speed cameras, it has calmed my driving down to be honest.

It was missed driving the Tigra home, had ankle ache like ozsubrosa gets, Preston to Malaga is a killer though.

Very hand on roadworks, hit 50 and leave it, a dab of the stalk and the speed is easily adjusted by 1 mph up of down.

Much easier on my Astra J as it's on the steering wheel, no clutch switch on mine with it being a diesel do you can change gear with the CC on.

Thanks for pointing out the Service Video, I spotted it the other day, harmless procedure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yet more issues to fix, the bonnet release is knackered, tried lubing it st the catch end but it is sticking deep in the sheath down the line, just ordered a new one after following the route, looks simple enough to swap out.

(Trying to figure out photos on phone)

Next up are the front fog lights, thought both bulbs could be blown, both work after testing.

Switch works
Light on dash lights
Fuse works
Relay clicks and I swapped it over
No power to the Bulbs

Any clues folks?

Car came with them as it's an Exclusiv, just an odd one, anything else between them I could check?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I know the Modus CC (which I looked into theoretically) can also act as a simple limiter but I don't know if the C does. My twin bugbears are that a constant 100-110km/h is just the angle to really be awkward (my old R5 1100cc was driven down motorways permanently to the floor) and also that I can lose concentration a bit and let my speed drop on an incline which can irritate others as many autoroutes and autovias are two-lane. OTOH, lane discipline is very good and you're expected to nip out, get past and pull over. Ambling at exactly 70, pointing at your CC stalk doing "I may be some time overtaking" vague body language (like I've seen UK people do) gets some very specific body language gestures in return as the car behind finally passes you.

There is an excellent thread, about a year old, from a member who retro-fitted C fogs detailing all the relays etc involved. The Tigra fogs are a different shape, iirc, but the switches etc are the same. I'll have a thread hunt for it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Not what I was thinking of, but this tutorial is worth a read for pointers

Murder finding the thread I wanted (lots of threads but not useful) until I remembered it was Andrew125 who started the thread

·
Registered
977 Posts
One thing to check with the front fog lamps is the wiring, If the relay is clicking the fault would be after the relay.
There is a 4 plug at the front near the lower L/H corner of the radiator, check for power and earth here. The earth point is a bit higher up on the front of the L/H chassis leg a few inches down from the fuse box. Also have you tested the relay has an output? just because it clicks is not always meaning power is coming out after the relay.
The bonnet cable is quite easy to swap but don't be fooled to thinking its a few minute job to route it around the engine bay under the battery and BCM box then behind the fuse box.

Ozsubrosa, You hit the nail on the head, when overtaking nip out and back in to the left again. This very rarely happens around here. You quite often find lane 1 full of HGV's moves faster than lanes 2 and 3. Lane discipline is very poor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks OpCom, once I have a session with Mark i'm sure we can figure it out.

corsaz, no job is ever simple on these cars lol, i'll be taking my time with the cable.
Thanks for the plug location heads up, will check it out.
I swapped the headlight relay over with the fogs relay and the dipped beam still worked but i'll check it again.

Geoff your TT is looking mean with the black rims, just a negative version of mine lol/

Ozsubrosa thanks for digging around the forum for me, will take a look at that thread now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My CC stalk and clutch switch are on there way along with the bonnet cable.

I did spot my aerial seal is degraded, do Vaux/GM have a part number just for the base?
I may have a spare in my box of spares but not rooted in my Vaux Box for a few years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right folks I have dug out the laptop as posting on my phone was doing my head in, the main post has now been updated with my current list of issues, plans and photos of the car.

Anyway, here are today's items I need help with.

I am getting conflicting Spark Plug and Oil Filter part uumbers on EuroCarParts, for my 1.4 what size filter and spark plugs do I need?

OEM part numbers would narrow my search or any recommendations would be appreciated, I usually use NGK Platinums on my fleet of ROVER's.

I also need a replacement Spark Plug Cover, its not important but I would rather have it. :giggle:
I have found one that I think is the correct one on ebay but a photo or part number would be great.
If anyone on here has one going spare too let me know.

What is the fuel filter like to replace on these?

Is this bit of Gaffer Tape factory or what lol? :unsure:

Anyway, no more progress yet as i'm at work, lets see what next week brings, the car is a runner and we plan on a day trip or two this week.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My CC stalk and clutch switch are on there way along with the bonnet cable.

I did spot my aerial seal is degraded, do Vaux/GM have a part number just for the base?
I may have a spare in my box of spares but not rooted in my Vaux Box for a few years.
There is no ariel seal from Vauxhall just complete base with new seal at around £100! EeK! Also it is unique to the Tigra B. I've fitted a DAB radio so had to swap ariels anyway as stock is not so good for this.
Oil filter will be the shorter, fatter one of the 2 listed. I only get 1 option for plugs on ECP. You should try Autovaux as genuine parts are often cheaper than aftermarket from them.
Fuel filters are simple if you have the correct release pliers for the clips on fuel lines. Soak with wd40 first as they probably have not been moved for several years! The plastic can get brittle but new filters should come with new clips.
The coil cover will be the same as the Z12XE, Z12XEP engines so should give you more options.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts