Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am going to be looking for a VRS... which are a notrious ditchfinder... need a few tips on gaining vehicle history.

I've been told how to spot potential accident damage on the car.. e.g. curve in front bumper... check wings for welds and alignment, slam panel and air intake are secure etc.

I know about HPI checks, and how they cost like £20 per car. Also heard something about a PNC check? Which you can get if you ring the police on a non-emergency number apparantly? Anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
46,415 Posts
In all vag cars , open the bonnet and look accross the front there are little tipex like marks in grooves that should all line up with the front bumper and side pannels. The grooves are there so you can tell if the bumpers just been removed, Very good check for front end damage. i know on mine the tipex is still intact so its not even been removed.

HPI will only show whats been reported so just save money and look on the log book.

another good point is phone the guys insurence company and ask if any claims have been made.

·
Registered
23,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the salesman also told me about a curve which is on a join on the front bumper.

Apparantly VW only fitted these to original bumpers that went onto cars... all bumpers that are not manufactured for a car... i.e. for aftermarket parts do not have this groove

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
look for all the places where the body panels meet "shut lines"> the should all be uniformed and straight. Also check that the paint work is all the same both inside and underneath the bonet to see if panels have been resprayed

·
Registered
23,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
worth it if your not sure.

or just buy from a skoda dealer. dealers wont touch dodgey cars with a 10ft poll in the first place plus you get the warenty.
Haha good idea yeah but have you seen dealer prices on VRS's recently?

The one I test drove was an 04 with 35,000 miles and he was asking 8,995.

Now on autotrader cars with similar milage of the same year are up at around 7,500 or less.

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
bear in mind dealers add commison tax costs etc to their version of the price before whackin it on sale

·
Banned
30,036 Posts
rofl.

the RAC check is:

Essentails:

Up to 1.8 litres --- ---- £124.95 | £134.95
1.9 litres and over ---- £146.95 | £156.95

Essentials PLUS

Up to 1.4 litres ---- £188.95 | £208.95
1.5 to 2.0 litres --- £204.95 | £227.95
2.1 to 2.5 litres --- £257.95 | £285.95
Over 2.5 litres ---- £306.95 | £340.95

Member | Non member

·
Registered
23,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tbh I can't see the point in paying 1500 quid more through a dealer just for a 6 month warranty on one of the most reliable makes of car anyway.

As long as I check it over etc I'm perfectly happy to go private.

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
check for overspray, check for spray on the welds, under the bonnet they spray over the welds when new, so if a new weld is put its not sprayed ;)

check the slam panel, check the air intakes are secure, check the bolts for markings, if the surroundings look all scratched, and its on more than one bolt chances are its been changed.

look in the arches and under the plastic sills for overspray, ring the insurance company for any claims.

ask the person directly any bumps, if reply is deffo no, rather than not to my knowledge its a better sign

take someone with some car knowledge with you to check it over

check the colour of the oil

check the steering doesnt clunk, check the wear on the tyres is even, if its not could be not on the right tracking, which could be due to an accident

etc etc, loads to look for mate

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
also check boot floor for creases, and take out the spare from the tyre well look for damp.

would be cheaper to get your dad to testdrive it if the salesman will let him go on his own, and pop it to a garage (pre-arranged) for a check over, will be much cheaper than an aa check

1 - 16 of 16 Posts