Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I stopped seeing the turn signals of others, apart from the fact that in Spain it's a very expensive extra that nobody has, or nobody knows how to turn it on xD, I don't directly see the light or the face or the steering wheel of the other cars, it's a lot more reliable to see directly to the front wheel, that way you know if it is moving, if it is turning or if it starts to turn thanks to the lines of the road that loses or gains distance with the wheel, thanks to this without going any further thing of 4 weeks avoid an accident that they skipped a give way, do you have any tricks like that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well apart from the known fact that they do not fit indicators to Mercs now extended to BMW And now more recently Tesla
I try to drive defensive as if everyone is out to kill you , drive during Bank Holiday traffic and it's probably true
Also all the idiots out in there 3 ton Range Rovers don't care a whoot since if they hit a Corsa you get crushed like a tin can .

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I used to think that I lived in the area of the two cities, Preston and Malaga, with Europe's worst drivers but that's changing (more later). Indicators are optional items in much of Spain but I see more people in the UK expect telepathy to work, particularly at roundabouts. I had to drive to Leeds yesterday and maybe the M62 permanent blockage from the Bradford turnoff all the way to the M621 city centre turnoff makes people irritable, but the driving was shocking. Soon, I hope to make my drive from Preston to Malaga next month and I can refresh my opinion. The best motorway discipline is usually encountered in France.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Indicators are and optional extra in most vehicles these days it would seem? Well it is rare that you see them being used.
Same goes for lane discipline on round about's and giving way to traffic coming from the right on round about's. Then there is the whole lane hogging on motorways. Often I see people join the M40 at J9 and pull straight over to lane 2 or 3 then sit there at 65mph all the way to J8 no matter how much traffic is on there.
The general standard of driving is getting far worse in the UK and it seems worse the closer to London you get.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
That's something else I particularly noticed on my Leeds trip. Why the heck go to the expense of building a four-lane motorway to ease congestion when absolutely no-one uses the inside left lane and the other three are occupied at 55, 58 and 62mph? Move over, fercryinout loud. There's always been CLARAs (Central Lane Area Resident's Association, as the cops call them) but I noticed this "I'm happy at 55 but I don't want to move over to the left in case I'm trapped at 53mph" attitude to the M6 widened around Warrington 30-odd years ago and it seems to be universal, judging by the slow-moving 4-laner on the M62 towards Leeds.

The majority of autoroutes in France are two lanes which would be a disaster in UK but people overtake and move back in sharply. I decided to stay out long enough to also get past a slow mover about 80 metres further down the road and a faster moving car behind me gave me the "stupid Englishman, your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries" look. Fair enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts