Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Right wanna give the engine bay a clean.

Makre the caps nice and clean and the engine cover.... is it ok to use car shampoo, my mate recomended getting it steamed or some **** :\

Cheers

·
Registered
25,958 Posts
Steam clean is good but you can wash it as you would the car. Just put a bag over fusebox and use some common sense when using a pressure washer etc..........

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Steam clean is good but you can wash it as you would the car. Just put a bag over fusebox and use some common sense when using a pressure washer etc..........
Won't you need to cover all the sensors with tin foil or something? I can't imagine water being good for them.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Wouldn't spray an engine with water, can get in places and cause havoc.
Engine is there to do a job, not shine.
Can use some cleaner spray and a rag and brush. Brake cleaner works well on the block etc for washing off oil and dirt.

·
Registered
25,958 Posts
Each to their own. Mine gets a wash and a wax every now and again but as Justin says, it's not there to be clean.

Steam, water makes no difference. Just use it carefully and don't spray a lot of water. You can keep the engine running too if you like.

My method is to put a towel over engine, and spray underside of bonnet. Shampoo, wax underside of bonnet and then spray engine with loads of autoglym engine cleaner. Then use plastic polish on the engine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
i wouldnt jetwash an engine bay! done to many diesels at work, they dont start afterwards!! jus get some gp spray and a rag, then spray a bit of silicone spray over it...works a treat!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I just use a backet and sponge to clean my engine bay the gentl;y rince off with a watering can off water. Dont often clean it tho :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
think il just get a rag and some brake cleaner or something and give it a wipe :D

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont have a jet washer, why is everyone saying dont use one. Did i say i had 1 lol.

Il have look about tomorrow. bit of mr muscle will work i bet

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Mr Muscle oven cleaner is an excellent engine cleaner I've heard :p
Known people either spend £100's on fixing, or not even finding, problems caused after hosing/spraying/jetting/steaming an engine.
Diesels would have been alright, but even these now have loads of sensors. Few years back could run them underwater, not anymore.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I hosed my engine the other day and she was fine, I just kept her running. I just used normal shampoo and a sponge, then rinsed her off.

She steamed for abit when I'd dropped the bonnet, but I've had no problems.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.