Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1.7 di combo 51 plate and the engines completely shot I'm wondering if any other engine will be a relatively easy fit? Really don't want to get rid of the van because the body is immaculate for its age and its served me well 馃憣馃徑

Registered
I would take the opportunity to fit a Y17dt (or dtl) again, but fit on the intercooler, hoses and 1 metal pipe required if not there. In plain English, the 1.7 Di and the 1.7 DTi are exactly the same lumps, with the IC and its hoses being the only difference on the DTi. My Di was/is a great engine for plodding forever but the 0-60 or any other acceleration was just a bit ponderous. I needed to replace the radiator and the AC condenser so I got a 1.3 CDTi (they'll all go on, DTi or either of the CDTi) IC and rubber hoses, plus a Astra G 1.7 DTi metal pipe and hooked them up at the same time as the other bumper-off work. The 0-60 drops from >16 seconds to ~13.5 and it just makes the car so much nicer to drive, required no faffing with the ECU, and is still reliable as a well-trained mutt with your slippers. A 1.7 CDTi is nearer 100hp (Di 65, DTi 75) and has better economy numbers as well as grunt. Basically the same lump but common rail which, unlike contemporary common-rails, is still pretty reliable. It would require more fiddling around with making electricals all agree with what you've done, but it's a drop in. Personally, I'd avoid the 1.3 CDTi which is not Isuzu Circle-L but the Fiat engine and can be a lottery 2nd hand.

The insurance is pretty easy, too. Instead of "enter your number plate" just manually put in the DTi or CDTi details and you'll get a sensible quote, whereas some off-the-wall engine transplant will have your standard companies running for the hills or quoting silly money.

Registered
Correct, jewels, and works in the opposite way to the DTi/Di turbo. huge_ferret here on the forum wrote up a "how to" on fitting the 1.7 CDTi's VGT to his Combo and it's not as simple (or cheap) as just fitting an intercooler to the Di. I would like to do that upgrade but I don't have his skills. With a defunct Di engine, it would make more sense to have a shunted 1.7 CDTi as a donor (heart, lungs and brains) than to just take the turbo to get the 100bhp.

Registered
I've got a 1.7 di combo 51 plate and the engines completely shot I'm wondering if any other engine will be a relatively easy fit? Really don't want to get rid of the van because the body is immaculate for its age and its served me well 馃憣馃徑
I鈥檝e got the full block from a 03 plate 1.7di you can have mate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts