Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of having two cars at home, I've been thinking about delegating the corsa to insurance for days, basically the weekend, it's not that we pay a lot for it, but I see a silly thing to pay if it doesn't move, the only thing that doesn't Is it if I need to take the car on a weekday, without insurance, for an emergency, can that car go out or get into a mess?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have a UK insurance policy that allows me to suspend insurance on my Focus and/or Combo Tour when it is not in use. When I re-activate it, my insurers send me reimbursement for the unused months. "Months" is the important word, because it is not worth doing if I am going to be using it regularly but infrequently - such as weekends. The other alternative is "classic car" insurance, but that is not often considered for a Corsa C.

The biggest problem is that Spain is different to UK in that tax and insurance is considered a year-round requirement even if the car is not driven. When I suspend my UK registered cars, I go online and easily declare that the car is not on public roads (SORN - Statutory Off Road Notification) and I do not have to pay road tax for any completely unused month, and the car cannot be fined for lack of insurance or ITV (MOT in UK) so long as it is not used.

In Spain, I believe the nearest equivalent is baja temporal, and I do not know exactly how that works, but without it your car seems to be a fair target for the police. During lockdown restrictions, I was not able to tax nor ITV my Modus, although I could have insured it by email and telephone. My insurer advised me this was not necessary because it was on the block's communal car park; not the street. Well, he was wrong - because the public are allowed to park there and in late July (when the holiday tourists result in 3x the normal number of cars) the descafeinados went looking for cars to grua away to make for more parking spaces. The fact that my car was uninsured was good enough for them to impound it, even though it was not on public roads and certainly not being driven.

Perhaps your best bet to make some saving is to limit the annual mileage that your insurer has to cover. This does not reduce the premium by much, but it helps. All of mine are declared to not exceed 7-8000 miles annually. My Focus only did 1,000 miles in 2020 and only 2,500 miles (4,000 km) in 2021. I could reduce my premium further next year by declaring a lower distance expected for 2022. The MOT/ITV records will show if you exceed your estimate, so you need to ensure you have overestimated enough for unexpected journeys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Because of having two cars at home, I've been thinking about delegating the corsa to insurance for days, basically the weekend, it's not that we pay a lot for it, but I see a silly thing to pay if it doesn't move, the only thing that doesn't Is it if I need to take the car on a weekday, without insurance, for an emergency, can that car go out or get into a mess?
In 3 years your car will be a classic. Meanwhile get both cars in the same company and try to get a fleet insurance if possible. I'm not sure if 2 cars are going to be worth a fleet insurance but if you have a collection it might work out. Just make a collection... :ROFLMAO:

If, as you say, you drive your car for an emergency and you get in trouble, you're toast.

The biggest problem is that Spain is different to UK in that tax and insurance is considered a year-round requirement even if the car is not driven. When I suspend my UK registered cars, I go online and easily declare that the car is not on public roads (SORN - Statutory Off Road Notification) and I do not have to pay road tax for any completely unused month, and the car cannot be fined for lack of insurance or ITV (MOT in UK) so long as it is not used.

This is a joke...everybody in Spain is arguing that the "baja temporal" has no equivalent figure anywhere else and actually you do have a SORN that's precisely the same as our figure. The more you know the more they piss you off. Thank you for that insight.

In Spain, I believe the nearest equivalent is baja temporal, and I do not know exactly how that works, but without it your car seems to be a fair target for the police. During lockdown restrictions, I was not able to tax nor ITV my Modus, although I could have insured it by email and telephone. My insurer advised me this was not necessary because it was on the block's communal car park; not the street. Well, he was wrong - because the public are allowed to park there and in late July (when the holiday tourists result in 3x the normal number of cars) the descafeinados went looking for cars to grua away to make for more parking spaces. The fact that my car was uninsured was good enough for them to impound it, even though it was not on public roads and certainly not being driven.

No car can stay in the open without an insurance, just think about it this way:if anyone is harmed by or "against" your car in an accident you're in trouble. Even if your car is INSIDE your house, unless your home insurance takes care of "vehicle incidents"(or something like that) you'll be in trouble. And inside your house it doesnt matter if its a road ready car(ITV+driving tax up to date) or a museum piece "baja temporal+no ITV". Anyway, nobody has a car insured if it's in his bassement or garage. But for it's owner, insurance matters more than ITV or taxes...

As a side note IF the "block's communal car park" is a PRIVATE area, road regulations do not apply. That means that you can actually work in your car and no police officer can complain about it nor try to fine you unless you are working with/in anything "pollutant".

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
and thanks for your insight, 4Bolts. I would have been OK if the Modus had been in my vecino/amigo's underground private parking space, but I thought that was asking too much (and, as I was unable to return for > 1 year, I was right). The communal car park by my property is a different case, and I should have trusted my instincts over my insurer's advice. It used to be a dusty square of land, owned but not built on by the developers. Then the local ayuntamiento offered to lay asphalt and paint markings on it at no cost to us owners (it is the first thing to be seen on entering the district, and the tourist department wanted it to look more attractive), but with the stipulation that it be available to anyone to park there. Because it's impossible for us to stop just about anyone using it anyway, this was agreed. It was my lack of insurance that gave El Plod the excuse to take it away, not the IVTM or ITV. They did ask if I had booked an ITV (which I had, but they never checked) before releasing it but I had to almost beg the local tax office to let me in and collect a new form to pay for the IVTM. They see maybe 3 people per day (who must book their appointments weeks before) "because of covid".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought this would be an idea on my combo, I looked into it and it would have cost £30 as a day rate every time I wanted to insure it which on the face of it isn’t bad.

Then I came to my senses realised that I can insure it for £69 a month and drive it any time I like with the reassurance that I am covered if a tree falls on it in the night.

Also (assuming I don’t crash into said tree or anything else) I get a years no claims in about 8 months and my premium will go from £60 to £40 which is only a tenner more than the day rate for a whole month. Long term it’s not a solution. It’s more for things like road legal track cars you only go out in once every two/three months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts