Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys & gals

New here, as the wife and I have just been given a free Corsa C 1.0 EcoTec with a full years MOT.

When we took delivery of this car, I was advised that some minor issues were still present with the car even though the MOT had a clean bill of health. The one thing that's bugging me though is the coolant leak it has, I've found its origin (hopefully its the only one) but I've not been able to identify the part (see attached) can anyone shed any light on this item, and if there's any gaskets available for it?

The wife is enjoying this car, I dont want this coolant leak to ruin it for her.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Chris

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
That's the egr valve. It will need removing, the mating surfaces cleaned and a new gasket fitting. That should sort it. Nice cheap fix really.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Welcome to ccuk, Chris, and Marks ^ is a handy guru to have on here so double-fortune - with the free car and all.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have the same leak, changed gasket, still leaking, changed EGR valve and gasket and its slowed down to around 100ml/2000miles so putting it down to the head being damaged.
Strange part is it leaks worse with the AC being on??
Had to swap a few of these gaskets in the past and only found the 1 type even going back to the early 1998 version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, the gasket does indeed look correct for what I need (also matches the shape of the housing) which I spotted last night. And the only place I could find it was with a complete head gasket set 🤦🏻‍♂️ but that was before I knew what the part was 👍

is it normal for coolant to to run through the EGR valve?

thanks again guys

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Tbh I not sure if the egr helps heat the coolant when it's cold or the coolant cools the exhaust gases but some are not connected to the coolant such as the z14xe. That's not got any water channel for the egr.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'm a reader rather than a doer like marks, but I remember reading a lot of those how to/why you should blank off the EGR opinions that - apart from the usual complaints about being bad - that it can contaminate your coolant. Not exactly helpful insight, but I suppose it implies an involvement.

·
Registered
922 Posts
On a lot of vehicles the engine coolant is used to cool the exhaust gas before it enters the inlet manifold. This does in most cases cause problems when they leak, they can appear to have head gasket failure as exhaust gas will enter the coolant and coolant will also get in to the exhaust system causing white smoke.
Blanking the EGR system can be done with just a few plates and gaskets in most cases, I have done a few cars now and it gives no performance gains at all, slightly high emissions when on idle but still with in UK mot specs. If the EGR is water cooled the water loop needs to remain connected though. The main reason the EGR valves cause faults is the valve gets stuck with carbon build up. cheap fuels, short trips,poor running engines don't help with this.
In the case here with the Z10xe/p Z12xe/p and Z14xep the bottom part of the valve acts as the cooler, some of these engines did not have the EGR system but still have this water loop part of the housing with no connection tube for exhaust gas to the inlet manifold and no EGR valve on top.
As for Chris's car fitting a new gasket should do the trick. Be sure to clean both gasket surfaces before reassembly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought the gasket from Vauxhall and it was only a few pounds.
Blanking the EGR off makes quite a difference on the 1.0 litre engine and is well worth doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts