Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I started the car and managed to drive off my driveway and in the first intersection when I put the gear on and started to move clutch up, something snapped hard, some where... and after that I couldn't get any gear on. We managed to push the car back to my yard and I checked the pedal, couldn't find any extra parts on the floor. I thought it might be that white plastic thing behind pedal but that side seems to be fine.

I started the car again and tried to push the gear shift to all gears with the clutch up. No extra sounds... like the gear shift is dead. BUT when I tried to push it to reverse, it made the normal grindy noises that gear shift without pushing clutch down should do and I couldn't push it to reverse. Then I pushed the clutch down and it got the reverse gear on but car wouldn't move.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Blue

Where is the clutch cable supposed to be attached to? There are only shaky videos of similar engines and they all had this big arm that is used with the cable, but i can't see anything similar on this. It's 1.2L manual variant with left side steering

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Have you checked the pedal assembly. You said the white thing looks ok, but is it in the correct position on the pedal. The piece thats meant to hold it bends and the white piece pushes into the housing further than its meant too. Had this happen on mine and it made the same snapping noise you described. I fitted a new upgraded pedal assembly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had a clunk in a combo van a few weeks ago after the clutch had recently been changed. the mechanic hadn't tightened the top engine mount bolts properly and because the engine was effectively knocking with every gear change, the bolts snapped and the engine dropped!!

To be fair, I only lost second gear and coaxed it (really shouldn't have) back to the work yard!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I had a clunk in a combo van a few weeks ago after the clutch had recently been changed. the mechanic hadn't tightened the top engine mount bolts properly and because the engine was effectively knocking with every gear change, the bolts snapped and the engine dropped!!

To be fair, I only lost second gear and coaxed it (really shouldn't have) back to the work yard!
This happened to mine a few months after buying it. The mechanic had changed the timing chain and left 4 engine mounting bolts loose. They snapped on the motorway at 70mph and the waterpump was grinding against the chassis leg. Luckily i got away with cleaning the pump pulley up and replacing the 4 bolts once id wound the broken bits out of the engine which were easy as they had been left loose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts