Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have a Corsa C and this is my 2nd Corsa C and its the 1.4 Automatic (DESIGN) one
I have noticed on this one and the previous one I had its very bad on fuel.
I’ll probably get 160 miles maximum from a full tank.. Is this because its an Auto? There’s no warning lights or anything and as it happened to my previous one too I’m thinking its not a mechanical issue as everything else is fine.

Due to this reason I was thinking of getting a Vauxhall Astra 08-09 model which is 1.8. Would that be better on fuel than what Im getting now?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I ran the manual gearbox with same engine. Regularly achieved twice that mileage per tank.

So... it could be running rich / overfuelling / leaking injectors but you’d probably smell that.

When was it last serviced and had plugs changed? Misfire you’d hear and feel I’d say.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
We have a 2006 1.4 auto and its only used for short trips 1.5 miles to the shop. Does 300+ on a tank and more if we take it on a run.
Tyre pressures, Brakes binding, excessive weight in the car, suspension/steering poorly aligned, lack of servicing will all increase fuel consumption.
Driving style is also a big one. Do you use sport mode a lot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a 2006 1.4 auto and its only used for short trips 1.5 miles to the shop. Does 300+ on a tank and more if we take it on a run.
Tyre pressures, Brakes binding, excessive weight in the car, suspension/steering poorly aligned, lack of servicing will all increase fuel consumption.
Driving style is also a big one. Do you use sport mode a lot?
I've literally had the car for 3 weeks so I haven't had it serviced no, but as this is my 2nd Corsa C and had the same issue with my last one I was thinking is it the car or a general Corsa Auto problem.

But I should also say that I do use the car mainly on weekends for food deliveries, so maybe that could be the problem? But I only get 150-160 miles on a full tank so surely me doing deliveries shouldn't affect the MPG THAT much should it?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Run the car on idle for a bit, having put a sheet of cardboard under the engine. Look for fuel on it. Open the bonnet and see if you can smell petrol whilst it’s idling.

Put the fuel tank side of the car over another sheet. Look for fuel on it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A lot of short trip stop start driving is never good for fuel economy in any car, petrol's are worse than diesels though. You may be better off with a 1.3cdti Corsa for what you are doing?
If all the basics listed here check out ok and your still getting poor economy then look for a small diesel car. Try to find one with out a dpf as they do not like a lot of short trips. Older diesels pre 2000 are the best but will need more work to keep them going.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Vx 1.4 auto, but I know that the Renault 1.6 manual changes from reasonable(ish) around town pootling to catastrophic in the auto version; like 26mpg. That might not sound terrible, but I had two 24-28mpg cars and I could get caught out quite easily sticking £20 in and doing a few runs. Even so, a full tank should go considerably past 200 miles despite your travels. Well worth checking for leaks, as suggested, but also bear in mind that buying a 10+y.o. car could be 1-2 owners that haven't waved an oily rag at it for a while. The airbox is (IMO) not a brilliant design and a relatively small area of the air filter can get clogged faster than the rest of the panel. A chugged air filter, spark plug gaps that Carl Lewis would struggle to get across... they can all suck your mpg down without making the engine run particularly terribly.

It's a bit of a PITA to open up compared to some cars (there are plenty of YT vids) but not demanding of a lot of skill so it's worth taking a look at the air filter. Again, only IMO, but I'm happy to buy the lower priced air filters like Comline and have them replaced at every oil change (about 7k miles for me) rather than the longer specified intervals as they cost so little. Before changing your car, I'd make those checks and bone up on DIY air filter and sparks replacement to save money, leaving an oil and filter change to an indy garage if that's a bit too gunky for you. If you do sell on, "recent service" is a bonus for some people and won't cost a lot if you shop around.

Maybe you'd be better off with the 1.0 manual, where you'd be working the 60hp a bit. Of the diesels, the best bet might be a 1.7Di or DTi. IME, it doesn't seem to mind town pootling too much, still gets through its diesel at a slower rate than my manual Renault 1.4, and likes rather than desperately needs a regular blat compared to common-rail diesels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of short trip stop start driving is never good for fuel economy in any car, petrol's are worse than diesels though. You may be better off with a 1.3cdti Corsa for what you are doing?
If all the basics listed here check out ok and your still getting poor economy then look for a small diesel car. Try to find one with out a dpf as they do not like a lot of short trips. Older diesels pre 2000 are the best but will need more work to keep them going.
Just a quick update.. I checked the tyre pressure and just to be on the safe side I put them upto 28PSI.. Front ones were fine but the rear ones were on 20 PSI so pumped them up and did around 60 miles today.. Fuel gauge went from just over half to in between a quarter and half now. Personally that's an improvement for me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I run my 185/55/15" at 32 in the front and 38 psi in rear.
Always have run them near to fully laddend pressures. Only drop them lower in the snow.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My Combo Tour is 35 all round (std), only putting the rears up when really loaded, but I had some other alloys on and the front Hankook would drop to ~20psi in a week if not watched. That sort of squidge can definitely drag the mpg down a bit but still worth checking the above-mentioned if you get a break in the weather.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'd also consider checking the fuel filter area for leaks just because it's basically a bridge in the fuel pipe. but 160 miles isn't just bad mpg it's clearly an issue, my manual gets over 400 miles

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Get an opcom and check long term and short term fuel trims at idle and at 2500 rpm stationary. Post the values here to see if they make any sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts