Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Combo 13 CDTI , 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm new here so be patient please ...

I've got a 2008 13CDTI Combo , the LCD Clock/Radio Display Stopped Working for no reason ... It worked fine until one day I was messing around checking things and changing fuses, it wasn't until that night i realised the display wasn't working.. I tried checking all the fuses , i even tried putting new fuses in where there were spaces in the fuse box but no joy , i asked a friend who is Vauxhall through & through (he's only had Vauxhalls all the time I've known him) , he told me to replace the display unit , i did this but i bought a second hand one that i seen working before i removed it, i stuck it in mine & no prizes for guessing the next bit , CORRECT it didn't work/light up....

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hello, 2008 is a Corsa D, but you might get help here on the Corsa C forum anyway. I don't know about your original fault (others here might have an idea) but, from what I've read (I have an earlier CDR500, not the CD30) the s/h one won't work with yours - the CD30 and the MFD are paired as an anti-theft device (whereas mine doesn't care where the MFD came from, I have to enter a 4-digit code if it's been disconnected). That said, you should get a message like "SAFE" lit up, to show that it's locked out.

Go back to your original MFD, as the other one won't help anyway. I think the D has 3 bulbs in the MFD, so it's not 'a' blown bulb, but all three might have been burnt out at once, depending on what the fiddling around previously involved. Alternatively, have a look at the wires; they can be pretty thin and it wouldn't take much of a surge to burn something up.

Hopefully, some others will chip in who have hands-on D knowledge, or at least the CD30 setup, which is different to my pre-2004 car. Hope you get sorted.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Combo 13 CDTI , 2008
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, 2008 is a Corsa D, but you might get help here on the Corsa C forum anyway. I don't know about your original fault (others here might have an idea) but, from what I've read (I have an earlier CDR500, not the CD30) the s/h one won't work with yours - the CD30 and the MFD are paired as an anti-theft device (whereas mine doesn't care where the MFD came from, I have to enter a 4-digit code if it's been disconnected). That said, you should get a message like "SAFE" lit up, to show that it's locked out.

Go back to your original MFD, as the other one won't help anyway. I think the D has 3 bulbs in the MFD, so it's not 'a' blown bulb, but all three might have been burnt out at once, depending on what the fiddling around previously involved. Alternatively, have a look at the wires; they can be pretty thin and it wouldn't take much of a surge to burn something up.

Hopefully, some others will chip in who have hands-on D knowledge, or at least the CD30 setup, which is different to my pre-2004 car. Hope you get sorted.
Nice one mate , i appreciate your input , I do have the CD30 but i think its been decoded because ive had it out and changed it for different CD players and every time i put it back in it works without having to enter codes.... I will try putting my original MFD back in tomorrow and try swapping bulbs , ive already checked the wires for it and there is nothing burnt that i can see , no burning smell or anything.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Nice one mate , i appreciate your input , I do have the CD30 but i think its been decoded because ive had it out and changed it for different CD players and every time i put it back in it works without having to enter codes.... I will try putting my original MFD back in tomorrow and try swapping bulbs , ive already checked the wires for it and there is nothing burnt that i can see , no burning smell or anything.
I'm glad MarkoM has looked in; he and Liviu2004 have done things with the Canbus and electronickery of Corsas that leave me standing. I'm happy to put the CD in the right way up.

Back to your CD30; am I right that you've changed it for different makes of CD players, rather than other CD30s? This will work fine (the MFD won't display as much info, like radio station, but will carry on displaying time, outside temp) and will revert back to full info if the original CD30 is put back in - no 4 digit code required. However, if you try a CD30 with an MFD it's not paired to, then it won't play because the HU and the MFD 'handshake' if you like with the Canbus and report everything's as expected. Back in the day (I was reading a 2008 thread on the D forum), a dud MFD was a major headache because Vx dealers were saying a new replacement MFD and matching HU (£££) was required. I think there might be a way to program disparate HU and MFD to work together (Liviu and MarkoM have done allsorts of upgrades) but dealers either didn't know or just went for the easier, £££, route.

These days, a CD30 and its paired MFD aren't a big expense (that car you got the s/h MFD from may be worth sourcing for its HU) but - and I'm flailing a bit because I don't know the unit - I imagine that your other MFD should be saying "SAFE" with a mis-matched HU. The fact you are getting a blank (no time or outside temp?) with either of them suggests that you have a problem elsewhere.

Sorry about the long waffle of guesswork but, if you write up what happens with either in place, MarkoM or others will have a better idea than I of where there may be a fault.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yes, oz is right. CD30 does not have a security code you have to enter, but it is coded to the MFD. If the pair dont match, after some 10 seconds display will lock itself and DISPLAY SAFE will be shown on it. Radio will still fully work but nothing will be shown on the display. Also, you wont be able to change the time setting. I sold my C with unpaired display/radio, the lady said she does not mind the message on a display as long as the radio plays music. I did offer to change it to my expense though.
You can take out EEPROM from the CD30, put it in a programmer and read security code, but im not sure whether you can do the same with display.

Back on topic, the display itself gets the +12V from the battery, +12V from the ignition "live" when the key is in pos.2 and +12V when the key is retracted but not pulled out. IIRC. It also has a few earthing points. So, if the bulbs are fine i would start by checking those. The connector has a plastic hood which can be removed if you cut the cable tie holding the cable and then you can easily see the colors of the wires and access the terminals to test the voltage. The pins are numbered so if you want, i can tell you which pin is what.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Display and CD30 are paired together and you can pair them only with vaux-com or some other diagnostic tool. Algorithm that they are using is still unknown nobody manage to crack it so you can't just change some bits in eeprom and expect that it will work. If radio is new to the car and not in delivery mode then you will need to unregister it, you will not be able to do that with diagnostic because radio is not paired with display and car. This is the procedure:
  • You will need to read eeprom from radio
  • You will need to unregister that eeprom bin file. For that you can use this application written by me Radio Unlock
  • Then you will need to write modified eeprom file back to radio
  • If display is original (already paired with the car) you will need to read eeprom and extract code from it. Also you can use my application for extracting code from display.
  • Last step is to use that code to pair radio via disagnostic tool.

If display is new to the car and not in delivery mode you will need to unregister it and pair it with car by using code from immo. Good thing is that you can read immo code with vaux-com :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts