Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My 2004 1.2 Twinport corsa has started to have an issue where there is a loud rattle when I start the car up. When the engine is cold, it rattles for a few seconds then stops and the engine noise returns to normal. If I start it when it's warm, then the noise is not noticeable as it either happens for a fraction of a second or not at all. The longer I leave it before restarting the more noticeable it'll be when I restart. I have posted a link to a video I uploaded of the noise. If anyone has had this before or knows roughly what it may be, I'd appreciate some suggestions of the cause.
Car is on 103k miles, recent oil change 10w40 part synthetic, all other fluids changed last year.

Cheers!

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is normal, should hear the car with 5w30 oil 😜 you want to keep running it on the 10w40

Or replace the timing chain, sprockets, guides and tensioner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is normal, should hear the car with 5w30 oil 😜 you want to keep running it on the 10w40

Or replace the timing chain, sprockets, guides and tensioner
I put 5w30 in it a month ago and it sounded so much worse! I know what you mean haha. Put the 10w40 back in and it's more quiet now :)

Yeah, well, I may get my garage to take a look but since I use it to nip to the shops once or twice a week, I'll probably wait for now. It's pretty quiet after that few seconds of rattle.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My corsa c 1.2 16v on a 2001 reg has done 13000+ miles on 10w40 oil, rattles like yours at idle BUT theres no oil pressure light, no oil pressure codes and more importantly there is decent oil flow around the top of the engine when it runs 1000 rpm.

It's common for Corsa's to rattle at idle, I've had it where the rattle was totally eradicated then came back in 4 weeks running, circa 1200 miles. The customer just runs the car now, keeping an eye on the oil and coolant levels. Personally I check my car every day, it usually doesn't need alot of top ups but does use a very small amount of coolant (100ml a week) nothing to worry about

·
Super Moderator
8,399 Posts
mines the same, 05 twinport, short rattle at start up 110,000 run on 5/30 oil,

i take it you mean 130,000 @Cal844 and not 13000 cos thats some low mileage for a c

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Mines on 165,000 miles. It had a chain at 50k before I bought it, but it's been ran on 5w30 fully with oil and filter changed every 5k miles. Rattles 50% of the time from cold starts for about 1 second. Its quiet after that. Mine doesn't use any oil or coolant between services.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My corsa c 1.2 16v on a 2001 reg has done 13000+ miles on 10w40 oil, rattles like yours at idle BUT theres no oil pressure light, no oil pressure codes and more importantly there is decent oil flow around the top of the engine when it runs 1000 rpm.

It's common for Corsa's to rattle at idle, I've had it where the rattle was totally eradicated then came back in 4 weeks running, circa 1200 miles. The customer just runs the car now, keeping an eye on the oil and coolant levels. Personally I check my car every day, it usually doesn't need alot of top ups but does use a very small amount of coolant (100ml a week) nothing to worry about
Yeah, I regularly check oil, every 2000 -3000 miles or so needs around 100ml more or less of oil. And never had to top up coolant always the same level when cold and on flat ground. I think the chain has been changed around 60k miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mines on 165,000 miles. It had a chain at 50k before I bought it, but it's been ran on 5w30 fully with oil and filter changed every 5k miles. Rattles 50% of the time from cold starts for about 1 second. Its quiet after that. Mine doesn't use any oil or coolant between services.
Yeah mine doesn't use any coolant. And wee top ups of oil every 6 months but only like 100ml. I'm inclined to drive it because normal idle is fairly quiet with no strange sounds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts