Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not that you will notice on standard road driving, you would only see the gains on a dyno. The K&N panel filter in standard air box will give the same gains and most likely be cheaper?
I have both on different Corsa C's. The Pipercross Viper because I had it left over from a 2.0L 16v Corsa B, it is a very good cone filter, one of the bet on the market.
new engine.jpg

·
Registered
2,373 Posts

This is an old article, but still the only one I know of on t'net that tries a bit of science. Cone filters generally restrict airflow less (mesh<foam<cotton) than panels in an airbox. Heat soak can negate that, so an induction kit is worthwhile unless you're primarily driving at a constant high speed. The flip side is that low restriction = higher volume of fine particles getting through; there's only so much clever that can overcome physics. Probably not a big deal here, but there's a lot of fine sand blown around in Malaga so it puts me off. Also, the bang for buck is pretty dubious on a 1.7DTi and the same could be said for a std 1.4
An interesting point of the article is that K&N may be the best known name, but not the best performing for either cones or panels (in fact, about the worst) and Pipercross seems to be superior.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Pipercross panel filters do sometime perform better but don't last. I have had them break up and get sucked in to the engine. In one case a lump of the filter got stuck in the throttle butterfly holding engine at 4000 rpm while driving approaching a series of roundabouts. Not fun in a 227bhp 2.0L 16v N/A Corsa B 🙄 😂
I would go cotton type over foam now and keep it clean.
Total Vauxhall did a similar review and the K&N came out on top. Mighty Car Mods also did a filter test not sure on the out come on that one? Closed cone type had it by an edge over a panel filter while open cone lost power once engine was hot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On a standard car you will notice absolutely no performance difference.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts