Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corsa CDTI 1.3 EcoFlex 2012 problems with transmission 120k
Flywheel /Gearbox or Clutch issue?

Hello, new here. I have been getting a rubbing sound when moving in gear (clutch out). This noise which sounded like a rubbing heat shield type sound stopped when the clutch pedal was depressed. This noise was also more noticeable when going around roundabouts.

My initial suspicion was a noisy thrust bearing but today the noise has changed dramatically! So much so that it even turned heads as I passed the local garage at the end of the road.

Noise now sounds like a bunch of very loud caged budgies going mental along with an intermittent loud metal scrapping sound like I’m dragging half the exhaust down the road. I have had car initially checked at 3 different garages one of which ran a diagnostic test as I had a suspected EGR value issue also (but will save that for the next post) Diagnostic returned no error codes.

Conclusion:-
Garage 1 (We suspect gearbox is hanging by a thread, DONT DRIVE)

Garage 2 Gearbox but thought the Budgie sound could be the Turbo when on boost. Could not double check as needed a couple of hours for it to cool down will have a look tomorrow. Question:- (Is there any reason the turbo would only squeal under-load i.e only with clutch out plus any quick tips on double checking it?

Garage 3 Most likely a DMF falling to bits (however, Garage 2, had pointed out to me that this model has a single flywheel).
I have a warranty which will cover Gearbox or Flywheel so hoping it is going to be that rather than a disintegrating clutch. I can then pay additional cost to change the clutch at the same time.

Note there is; no clutch slip, gear selection is smooth with no grinding getting into gear and oil level okay. Additionally as mentioned in a previous post for cleaning valves doing an ‘Italian tune up’ and dropping down into 3rd can sometimes shock the worst of the transmission noise away, but it will soon comeback with a vengeance.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If with the car still, on, you step on the clutch and it stops, you let go and it sounds, it has all the collar, or clutch boute, the plate pusher, the bearing will have slack for kms or it will have a bad bearing ball and rubs, which how long can it last like this? days hours years etc ... until the bearing flu or the ball gets stuck and blocks the mechanism, should you change it? As you want, the only thing it will do is more noise, as it spends much, I know of an Ibiza that made more noise than the engine and suddenly it solved itself and it never made noise again, if you change it you will have to lower the box And as you open the clutch kit, how long will the new one last? hours days weeks ...

If the turbo sings to you, you will hear an ambulance sound after 2000rpm, the more you accelerate, the sharper it will be, since the shaft does not rotate balanced and touches the walls of the shell, immolating the blades little by little until they are nailed and goodbye turbo, and you can strain them into the engine's intake, to check the status of the turbo it is best to open the intake tube and check the clearance with your finger, if it has nothing or the thickness of a sheet of paper is fine, already yes you have more to save for a new one

about those workshops that tell you that the engine hangs by a thread, that stepping on the clutch is the turbo, or mechanically incoherent things, leave there for the sake of your money, your car, and your health It's like saying that my house is burning and I dance waiting for it to go out on its own

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jewels and Corsaz22se for quick response. Will double check turbo today but don’t think it will be an issue given all troubles stop when the clutch pedal is down. Transmission is manual sent photo of gear selection if that helps but otherwise none the wiser on any further p/n detail on the gearbox until it is dropped out (not a job for me on a driveway and the need to remove the front sub-frame ;) ) Also took photo of pedals which show brake and clutch at same height.

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It's probably got the F13 or F17 gearbox then. Some did have a dual mass fly wheel.
I know the higher power 1.3cdti with 6speed box has a dual mass and is prone to gearbox failures with the M20 gearbox.
When was the gearbox oil last changed? It should be done at 100K miles. Drop sump pan off the box to drain and you will also see any metal if there is any in the oil.
I would suspect gearbox faults.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts