Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Slight problem with my Corsa Petrol 1.2L.

At first I noticed gradually over the last few months when the engine was hot it would make a ticking noise. When I revved the car the ticking didnt increase it just got drowned out by the sound. It only does this ater a good 10 mile journey.

Took the car to Vauxhall and they said they couldn't fault it or hear it (usless).

Drove it home and again there was the ticking noise.

Ive filled the Oil up to just below max and it does seem to have supressed it slightly.

However since the oil topup it hass been less promininent, when I pull over in idle and raise the clutch up half way to biting point (presumably this makes the engine vibrate more), the ticking becomes much louder, and when i drop the clutch all the way back in the ticking is still there (but much quieter).

I was led to beleive it was the timing chain but this was ruled out as the noise would still be there if the engine is cold, so now I am lost for ideas. The car's performance is absolutely fine, its just more annoying than anything?

I'm going to take it to a local garage I trust next week, but can anyone advise on any potential issues?

On a seperate note sometimes it does seem the exhaust is blowing from the engine (ever so slightly), could this be related?

Many thanks,
Alex

Edit: apologies I meant to post this in the mechanical forum. Apologies.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I would still suspect the timing chain. The noise is suppressed quite noticeably by thicker oil (some people use 10w40 rather than 5w30 for this very reason, when the car is to be run into the ground and a chain replacement is not economically justifiable). Of course, the viscosity of the oil thins as the engine warms up - after about 10 miles or so, as it happens. Someone on here (I think z22se, who will doubtless come in with better advice soon) suggests placing a decent sized screwdriver (with a solid plastic or suchlike handle) onto the cam cover with the engine running and putting your ear against the handle. The tell-tale ticking of a loose chain will be rather obvious, then.

EDIT: Captain Obvious, but not the ideal time to wear a tie or any loose, flapping clothing while doing this.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What He said! ^^^

I have always used 10w40 or 15w40 semi synthetic in my Vauxhalls. The 10w40 is approved for use in these engines by Vauxhall and the 15w40 was free.
When did it last have an oil and filter change? It should be done every 5000 miles or once a year. leaving it to 10,000 as it suggests in the hand book is far to long.
The timing chains do get noisy but usually its all the time and worse as the oil gets hotter.Another common fault is for the oil pick up tube to block and cause low oil pressure which will i turn cause a ticking. Sump removal to clean this out, new gasket and exhaust gasket required for this.

As you have an Exhaust leak this also needs to be fixed as they can also cause a ticking noise. Check for soot marks around all joints, be very careful if the engine is hot though as the cat will stay hot for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Its not been serviced since Ive owned it (coming upto 12 months) but I've only done 3000 miles.Would you suggest a full service and see if this surpresses it, OR take it to a garage for the exact reason its making a noise?

Can anyone point out the cam cover and I'll try do the screwdriver test.

Its just baffling that it never used to do this.

I will take it to the garage and ask for his advice but thank you for the answers so far.

I've justr tried add some Wynns Hydraulic Valve Fliter Lifter Treatment, not sure if this would help or not but was suggested a few times elsewhere, will report back on this.

Many thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would do a full service and clean the sump and pick up tube out. Simple enough for a diyer to do at home with basic tools.
The cam cover is plastic so the screw driver test needs to be done on the bolt heads that hold it down or the head just below the cover around the sides/ends.
This is the cam cover on my old Z12XEP 1.2 twinport Corsa C
Photo0560_LI.jpg

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I'm glad z22se clarified my "cam cover" comment - the big plastic thing is not the ideal listening post :oops: . I have a belt-driven diesel so my mental picture was a bit fuzzy. As you've had the car a year and previous history is a bit unknown, it's worth replacing/checking all the consumables. If not DIYing and your local indy has no objection (mine doesn't mind in the least) you can source oil and filters yourself and save a fair bit. A kit with the air and oil filter (sometimes cabin filter) on ebay comes in really cheap. In my case, very often the filters are Comline and are more than capable at the price.

Often, garages don't do the cabin filter but I'd recommend it - especially if you have AC - and it's very much a DIY. A bit fiddly on RHD (mine's LHD) Corsas because the battery wiring gets in the way but no horrible gunk to dispose nor pricey tools needed.

If you have a Tesco clubcard (I don't - they used to have periodic offers but seems to be just for clubcards now) you can get suitable oil and also Redex half price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm going to change the Oil Filter myself see if that makes any difference. Im not experienced enough to clean the sump and pick up tube out.

I havent had chance to do the screwdriver test yet.

I have booked the car into a local garage I trust on Monday, I will mention it to them.

It is worth stating the noise has got gradually lower since the hydraulic lifter fluid and the extra oil. It is barely audible but when I open the bonnet the clicking / ticking sound is extremely audible.

PS could this be related to a faulty water pump at all?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If it was the water pump the noise would not have changed with adding the extra oil and lifter fluid. The water pump would be noisy all the time as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi,

Done a complete engine oil filter change and oil change and still no change.

I have managed to do the screwdriver test and the only thing that sounds abnormal is on the bar behind the engine (held in with 2 screws with little ends on them to make it easier to unscrew).

I’ve taken a video from inside the vehicle too where you can clearly hear rattling. It’s weird inside the car it’s a rattle, bonnet open it’s a ticking noise?

Also added a video :

It does sound worse on the video than it actually is.

Any more ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It could well be the purge valve? Hard to say from a video and be certain?
The bar sounds like it may be the fuel injector rail, these will tick as the injectors open and close.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I assumed you had a Corsa C, not a 2105 E, so my "cabin filter change" video is irrelevant to you - sorry. Still worth doing, although it's not your priority right now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: Vauxhall today are replacing the timing chain (free of charge woo).

Im adamant it will not stop the ticking.

I have a strong feeling the PCR valve has gone which causes the fuel lines (attached to the chassis) by the looks of it to vibrate hence the knocking noise. I will report back!

I assumed you had a Corsa C, not a 2105 E, so my "cabin filter change" video is irrelevant to you - sorry. Still worth doing, although it's not your priority right now.
Not a problem, I did find it useful and I decided to change mine too! Pain in the ass though had to remove the glove box and the filter is actually inside the cabin on the E. Very fiddly to get it in!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The fuel tank evap valves are not expensive to replace.
That's a bonus getting the chains done for free! Needed or not if it's free why not (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fuel tank evap valves are not expensive to replace.
That's a bonus getting the chains done for free! Needed or not if it's free why not (y)
Ive found them on eBay for around £20 but EuroCar Parts are charging £78? What would you suggest?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
My Combo is lhd and the battery-windscreen reservoir positions are reversed so that cabin filter is no fiddle at all, my Modus in Spain has the filter access inside but also straightforward. It is annoying when removing the glove box and suchlike is involved but even when it's easy so many places don't carry out a regular replacement. I did the '05 Modus myself soon after buying it (from an indie garage) and it was total filth.

Your free timing chain change is a welcome result. They're not expected to need as often a swap as the belts but a fresh one after 6yrs is nice peace of mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Combo is lhd and the battery-windscreen reservoir positions are reversed so that cabin filter is no fiddle at all, my Modus in Spain has the filter access inside but also straightforward. It is annoying when removing the glove box and suchlike is involved but even when it's easy so many places don't carry out a regular replacement. I did the '05 Modus myself soon after buying it (from an indie garage) and it was total filth.

Your free timing chain change is a welcome result. They're not expected to need as often a swap as the belts but a fresh one after 6yrs is nice peace of mind.
Yeh it definitely hasn't had a cabin filter change, the thing was black and disgusting, even if not been serviced since last year i could tell it must have been in for longer than that.

Can anyone help RE the cost of the PR Valve? I can literally get a £20 on eBay, but a reputable online car spares website (ECP) are charging £70?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ideally you want to try and find either a Bosch, Siemens, Pierburg or Delphi part. Vauxhalls can have problems with electronic cheap parts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts