Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a 1.0 Vauxhall’s corsa that makes a weird noise when starting.
(here’s the link to the video)
I took it to the garage and they said it was my timing chain and that my car was about to ‘go’ any minuet. I was just wondering if anyone on here knows more and could tell me if my car has long left and roughly how long you think it has left in miles as I can’t afford a new car and need it for my daily commute to work. Thank you!

·
Registered
491 Posts
What I would do is get a long, narrow screwdriver with a plastic handle and use it as a listening stick.

Place the blade end on the water pump whilst it is running, then listen through the screwdriver. If the water pump is gone you'll hear it as a clicking and rumbling. It should be nice and smooth.

I'd also listen to the top of the rocker cover where the cam sprockets are.

Recommended chain life is 75 to 80,000 miles.

Hope this helps

Cal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you for your reply. My car currently has 84,000 miles on the clock so it’s probably going to be the timing chain going. As fustrating as it is it sounds like there isn’t much I can do other than replace my car. It’s lasted a long time and replacing the timing chain would be too expensive and not worth it considering my car is only probably worth £1000.
Thank you anyway!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
With a bit of asking around, you might be able to get timing chain, tensioner and water pump (might as well have the lot done - labour's the thing and it's all in the same area) for £250-300. 4hrs is often quoted but it's less time if a mech's familiar with them and the 1.0 leaves a lot of room to work in so an independent with prior experience will know to be a bit more competitive with the quote.

Once it's done, and you keep things sweet with regular oil changes, you're good for the life of the car. Any replacement vehicle, whether it's got a timing chain or a belt, you'll have the same thing to look out for if it's over 6 years old. My Focus had a 10 year old belt (recommended interval with Gates belts), and that was £400 at my usual indie, but I know it's a reliable beast and it was worth it to not kibosh an otherwise sound motor.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I was wondering about that; are you thinking it sounds more than just chain? I'm no guru, but I was expecting an initial bit of slapping followed by a sewing machine noise, whereas Matt's has something lower-pitched and unpleasant/ worrying. I'm definitely not at any advantage over a mech hearing it in real time so I'll butt out, but it's worth mentioning your suspicions, Liv, especially if Matt's coughing up for a garage job and it is money down the pit.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Chain for sure, but full kit needed, guides, tensioner, bolts, camshaft wheels. Btw, did you knew that only genuine camshaft wheels have heat treated teeths?

Installing chain only is like postponing the inevitable with a few months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With that said I think it’s time for a new car. Thank you both and everyone else, you have been very helpful!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, Matt, but I absolutely see your point that, with a car this old, you have to balance up whether the spend is worthwhile especially if you can't be sure that there may be other not-cheap fails down the line. The other alternative, to thicken the oil and deaden the clatter, isn't great if you need reliable transport. Glad, at least, that we could provide some help.

Thanks for the info, Liviu; I only know about belts. A fresh Gates, water pump and the odd tensioner or pulley (and -£400 for the Focus) and that's pretty much the big bill done for the rest of its expected lifespan. Worth doing in my case as I owned it from 1 year old and I knew its history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts