21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ah, teaching me many new things.....

Hopefully a reply.

Iv been to look at one today.

56k, 1 owner. Asked about service history.... the food woman looked at me strange. Said she had it serviced for 3 years then just topped up oil when needed.

Very rattly sounding engine, and ran quite poorly.... defo not the 100/125hp it should have. Interior was brilliant though.

Walked away though as didn't get a good guy feeling.......

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ye gods. 56k is, in a way, concerningly low mileage for a 14+ y.o. common-rail diesel. Given that the turbo and much else has been swilling around the same chip fat for 11 yrs, it would surprise me to sound sweet on turnover. I bought mine from a bloke who'd swapped the 250k kms (not huge really) lump for a sub 60k miler from a 2001 C Di but he knew what he was doing (unlike me) and everything's really hunkydory. I'm very glad I put the IC on it, though. 100 or 125hp would be even nicer, but the increase from 65 to 75hp has made it at least capable of leaving the dawdlers behind me.

Well, my mouse dealings gave me zero time today; sealing up as many entry points as I could in case they're breaking lockdown (although I think they've self-isolated in the oven to dishwasher area of my kitchen) and I didn't get to ring the SRi sellers. That said, ebay insisted on me providing my mobile number to post a message and they haven't tried to contact me either through ebay messages or call/text. I won't let it lapse, though.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I checked around. CCS car sales in Swinton does have an AutoTrader presence (similar £500-£700 basement end) but not a really physical one that turns up on yell.com or Google. Probably a small yard op, but the "ring Les" for one car, "ring Dave" for another car etc suggests pretending they're something they're not. With an ostensibly straight looking car, it sets alarm bells ringing on what they paid for it to make it worth their while, which is why I suggested I save you a long haul. I got completely lied to by a Megane estate seller in M/C and walked, before I found the Combo Tour. It was irritating, but it only cost me an hour of my time there and back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes I agree. Always annoying getting messed around!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My Tour was on eBay in Chesterfield, a heck of a yomp, but I went before auction end for a look and glad I did. It's served me well already, and a LHD usually involves a bit of a drive. Factoring in the outrageous cost of a train ticket to collect is part of the bidding. I shall ring Les/Dave/Pete after the w/e

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I rang the landline twice, no answer and I left a message with my landline number. I rang the mobile number once and left a message with my landline and mobile number. No response.

I think ebay maybe automatically relisting this classified but Covid Swiss Tony's not in the Portakabin with his thermos, or else he's got the yips at the prospect of an actual customer ("come on Tony... you've still got it")

If you'd also like to give him a bell (hopefully he's not making love to a beautiful woman) by all means call in my services and encourage him to ring me back. I'll have another go at it tomorrow; see if they left it a day before reopening.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's great mate, I bet Tony is out with the family parading at the beach, jumping of rather large rocky out crops into rather shallow waters........

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Iv done it..... iv gone to the darkest of dark places.......... iv bought a VW.........

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1.9 TDI?
I see lhd Passats, Audis (even an A6 live on ebay at the moment, bit underpowered for an A6 I'd think) and I can seriously see the point. That's an engine that would take me to Malaga and back every day for life, if I were inclined.
Not the most 'refined' diesel, without all those balancer shafts, DMFs and just about everything else that leaves you sitting at the roadside waiting for a French mechanic, but I'd take it. The only bummer is the price people will pay for one, even with telephone numbers on the clock and a spec that Leonidas would think a bit spartan.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yea gt tdi 6 speed. 158k on the clock but who cares...... £650. Went to see a C SRI 1.8.... asked a few questions, asked for a test drive and the old bloke told me to piss off. Shouted at me and said "it's a very powerfull car, you cant have a drive until you have bought it" I wished him a very pleasant day and not to get a certain virus then proceeded to buy his neighbours golf. While doing the deal he was kicking rite off with me!!

Calling me a thug, disrespectful and u "Bloody B*****d!"

The bloke who I eventually bought the golf from said I had done nothing wrong and that he is always like that!!

Tosser!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
158k on a 1.9 TDI is barely getting its heart started - they're 400k+ with just routine looking after (as you doubtless know). One of the things that swung me to the Tour (apart from the obvious lhd) was reading up that the Isuzu 1.7 is similarly unflappable. The idea of being midway between the M6 and Malaga, in a hotel for three days while a mécano puts down his Gauloise long enough to find the priciest cylinder head in Aquitaine, doesn't appeal (so no Ford/PSA 1.6 or mid 2000s Renault 1.5 oil burner).

It does annoy me when car sellers think they run a seaside souvenir shop ("you touch, you buy"). Not that ebay helps - with its irksome blocking of swapping contact details until the winning bid is in. I don't splunk serious money on the basis of some nice pics. Even more dubious if I'm in person and expected to buy on a walkaround. Anyhoo, glad you're sorted and I'll still talk to you, despite the Golf ownership;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
£650, eh? This is what I have to put up with for LHD:

Last time it "sold" at a bizarrely unrounded £2351.57 (my 2005 Modus cost me €2600, that's Spanish cars for you). Although the seller complains of "timewasters", I bet he has no clue just how difficult that car will be to sort. Garaged for two years on Spanish plates (no ITV), sounds like he's not the actual owner, probably not had a baja temporal so the back-tax will have to be done. No mention of any documents. I would have a hard time putting that through Trafico, and I'm a Spanish resident with reasonable lingo. A lot of people watch A Place in the Sun and think "that'll do for driving down to Dad's apartment in Fuengirola" when in actual fact they could be dumped out and the car turned into a small cube anywhere between here and the Costa.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts