Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started with the need for another trackcar (been 4 yrs since the MX5 turbo). And a lad at work happened to have a Corsa B that had been sat on his drive for a number of years, £50 later jumped in the truck and retrived it, unfortunately not all was good with the B.

Fresh petrol and a battery she fired right up after a 6 year sleep, dropped it of the truck and had a look at the car, and discovered how bad the shell was (I did not look at it before). and discovered.

Rest of the shell is equally tired, so sold the power steering column, sri clocks, and weighed the rest of the car in at the scrapyard.

On the plus side I ended up making a few quid and every drak cloud has a silver lining etc.... That corsa led to been offered another one.
2005 1.4 SRI, MOTd till 15th Dec, starts stops drives. and more importantly solid!!!!! So £200 later shes mine. The profit from the rust bucket paid for the car so as far as I am concerned its free.

So finally have a good basis for the trackcar project, The 1.4 power plant is some what lack lustre for a track car so engine conversion is on the cards, There is a wealth of knowledge and threads on conversions documented. So the engine conversion I am doing is not one of them LOL. Not a case of trying to be different more a case of building the car on a budget, the plan is to be a cheap toy.

The engine swap is going to be a ermmm Z16SE which is seen as a bit of dog pushing out a whooping 85bhp yet again that will not cut the mustard on the track.

The reason behind the Z16SE is simple I had one, and as a plus point they did fit these engines to the Corsa C Combo, so can buy off the shelf parts to make it fit like radiators and hoses etc.....

I started a bit work on the engine to wake it up alittle bit, first job was to remove the inlet/exhaust manifold, coilpack and throw them in the bin, basically stripped the engine down to a short block.

So now we need a way to get air and fuel into the engine and make fire, been of a older generation I love the sound of a old school 8v working hard, so the intake is a 14 sr manifold round port, ported to the head, Pierburg 2e3 carb with primary and secondary chokes mechanically linked (normally vac operated), Exhaust is currently a single down tube of something but I am looking for a twin down tube.

Sparks is taken care by a distributor with vac advance mods.

Stock Flywheel was nearly 12kg now running a skeleton flywheel weighing a huge 4.1kg.

Camshaft is a ENEM A2 which is a 3000-7500rpm powerband.
Just waiting for the clutch to turn up and then will be ready to fit, had the engine running on the floor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really no idea on what BHP I will get from this collection of odd parts but anything north of 100BHP I will be happy. My local track is Teesside and from experience that track is more about handling and light weight. The stockrod lads run 1.4 8v with the same carb, very simular cam and flywheel and they push 135BHP which I would be over the moon with.

Main thing is the engine will have character and soul, (rubbish tickover, no power below 2k, need a world of revs to pull away, coughs bangs splutter) I cannot wait LOL.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Different, I like it, we used to have a 1.4 8 valve in our rally nova, big cam and itb's that definitely had character..
Is that flywheel for a 7.25" clutch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its just a stock C14SE flywheel machined, takes the stock 200mm clutch, 100% a budget build.
Engine came from a car I scrapped
Flywheel £50
Cam £50
Dizzy already had
exhaust manifold and front pipe £5
Inlet already had
Carb £15
Clutch 3 piece new old stock £23
Brand New Corsa C combo radiator (has the outlets in the right place) £26
Short drive belt (AC delete) £6
104t cambelt (deletes the spring idle wheel thing) £11
New water pump already had,

Brings in at £186 for the power plant hopefully I can offset some costs by selling the 1.4 twinport.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a bargain for £200!

Interested to see how this turns out...
She not a bad car the last owner was a chav and the flashing led lights where not to my taste, nor was the 20l of water in the footwells due to the tailight not been fitted correctly, but other than that she seems canny used it for a week as daily to get a feel for it and see what was bad and good and on a whole its good.

give it 40mins of toe out and 1.5 degrees of neg camber and she goes round corners now

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well not to much to update, cleaned and seviced all the brakes there where in pretty good shape, you could tell the wheels had not been off in a long long time. fitted a set of AMAX springs, she had a broken front and rear spring and at £57 delivered for the AMAX 40mm springs thought I would give them a go, feels stiffer than before bit less body roll (i was expecting them to be a bit more harsh on the road) re-did the tracking and camber,

Shes now sitting on 15" as there seems to be a better/cheaper choice of track tyres, and the 16 sri jobbies needed 2 tyres, got 8 SXI wheels and tyres for £30. tyres are the finest woo tang ditch finders,

Front end digs in nice on roundabouts but you can feel the back end getting light.

Once I find some bucket seats the interior will be stripped out.

Had the Z16SE engine running on the floor, filled the carb give her a couple pumps (no choke as i removed it to aid a bit more air flow) hit the starter and she fired right up, sounds great no smoke or noises from top or bottom end, set the timing and she runs beautiful, got that lovely tickover that you get from a big cam and light flywheel and boy does she rev, like a stabbed rat.

Hopefully will get the engine soon all the bits I need are here, and fortunately just been told i am on another 2 week furlough so gives me more garage time.

Hoping to make the Teesside trackday on the 13th July. Car will be a on going project and hopefully keep improving it as time goes on.

I am trying to keep it a low budget build so alot of the work will be as and when the right bits come up for the right monies.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm following this thread (without any of the spanner-handiness to do anything like) and I hope this flag-up is mildly interesting, if not actually helpful - I don't want to divert your thread:

It intrigued me, if I knew what I was doing. The line in the description, "will throw in a pair of reclining [?] bucket seats if it reaches £300" is my excuse to mention it.

A fat V6 isn't what you'd plan for your purposes, but I was thinking you might know of someone that would be interested and (or separately) you'd want a look at the buckets. Apols if this is zero relevance - I just have a sad search addiction for C/Combo stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just so happens my friend is doing a V6 corsa B, I will send him the link, for me not that interested having a big boat anchor up front wont be that nimble on the track, but the sound track would be nice.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Great. I knew it wouldn't be for you but thought you might know someone and, like I say, the buckets could be your "cut" of the deal. Still sitting at £100 surprises me, given what's all there.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
She not a bad car the last owner was a chav and the flashing led lights where not to my taste, nor was the 20l of water in the footwells due to the tailight not been fitted correctly, but other than that she seems canny used it for a week as daily to get a feel for it and see what was bad and good and on a whole its good.

give it 40mins of toe out and 1.5 degrees of neg camber and she goes round corners now
Nice one! I fitted the eibach camber shims on the rear that made a massive difference too! I run 2.2 degrees of camber on the back and 1.8 up front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one! I fitted the eibach camber shims on the rear that made a massive difference too! I run 2.2 degrees of camber on the back and 1.8 up front.
I was planning on some neg camber on the rear maybes -1 degree what do you run toe wise on the rear.

A friend of mine races stockrods so is a wealth of knowledge on the engine front but unfortunately he only has to make his cars turn right lol.

They run some crazy settings his current corsa C the front subframe is turned a bit in the body so it already trying to turn right, the front N/S wheel is -15 camber O/S wheel is +10 camber, rear N/S is -10 camber and 4 degrees of toe out etc.... wild settings but they only need to turn one way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not to much to report, except for the pierburg 2E3 is now shelved as I now have a Varajet carb with a inlet from a small block 1800, bigger chokes on the varajet compared to the pierburg and the manifold has bigger ports so out with the die grinder to match the head to manifold.
Traded a couple surplus F13 gboxs for the carb and inlet.

Scored a full Simpson stockrod exhaust system from my friends scrap pile just needed a bit of teasing to remove a couple of dents from the front pipe.

Started work on the engine swap today got the old out and the even older in to test fit, everything bolted up, Engine mount is the stock Corsa C 1.4 twinport and on the engine is the stock Astra mk4 everything lined up and bolted.

Dizzy sits pretty close to the ABS pump but the engine does not really rock much dont think it will be a problem, but I can either move the ABS pump forward an inch which will give me 2inch clearance, or as I am wanting to lose the ABS I can just remove it.

First test fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts