Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'd have thought with 2 in the rear would feel safe, I have 1 out on the back of mine and that only gets really loose on roundabouts. Though I accept mine is a little different from the normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just a few updates, finally got round to fitting the exhaust system, so she now has a GTE large flange twin downpipe manifold, the twin downpipes are 2.25 inch going to a 2.5inch then through a simpson race muffler. Engine revs a bit more freely and pulls better at the top end. also as a result of fitting the race system is I had to knock down the idle speed, (shows how much the 1.2 system was strangling the engine).

Car has its first trackday on Monday 27th so we shall see how she preforms,

Valve stem seals need doing but dont know if I can be bothered to do them before the track day, and I do have a c14se head to drop on to lift the CR by my calculations dropping it on with the metal headgasket will give me a hair over 13.2:1 which is a bit high for my liking but If I use the stock gasket from a c/e16se this will drop the CR to just over 12:1

z16se stock metal gasket is 0.3mm and the stock c16se gasket is 1.35mm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well she had her first track day, it was more about a shake down to see what she is about.

The important bit is the engine stayed together no over heating did not eject any fluids etc...

The car still is pretty much in road trim only the rear seats removed, so the next step is to put it on a diet and lose some weight.
Need to get some proper tyres at the moment she has wutang ditch hunters.

Would be nice to lose some body roll.

Engine wise she is not quite as quick as I hoped but if I can carry more corner speed that will help.
My friend was there with his saxo vts and they are 120bhp and nearly 200kg lighter and I slighty had the edge on him so i must be running 120+ bhp which is not to bad for a engine built from junk and was originally 85bhp.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Always nice to watch a bit of dashcam on the track (y)
Yeah i was very pleased with how she did held together with no issues, ironically I took it down on my recovery truck as a just in case and I ended up having to repair the recovery truck track side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well not all is happy in the Corsa camp.

The trackday put quite a bit of hurt on the engine, when the engine was first fitted she was 99% smoke free, Give her a oil change and filter and shortly after she was smoking alittle bit on start up and high revs but nothing to worry about after all its a 18yr old engine of unknown history big cam etc.... been regularly taken round to 7k I would be more concerned if she didnt smoke. Anyways during the trackday I had noticed after she had been idling for a bit there was a big puff of smoke but that was it.

Fast forward abit went to take the car of the recovery truck to fit bucket seats etc.... she fired up as good as ever and there was quite the smoke show, we are not talking a little puff on fire up it engulfed the recovery truck, did a compression test all cylinders came back pretty even across the board a bit low but even 150 -160 psi, very very little crank case pressure,

Give her a quick run down the road to she if it would clear (knowing it wouldnt but trying to convince myself I wouldnt be removing the engine and rebuilding her), not saying the smoke was bad but drove down the road to a little turning point 1/4mile down road turned road and drove back through my own smoke trail.

So out came the engine today head off sump and pistons out. I have had a few engines to bits in my time and that has to be the worst one for sludge and carbon I have seen to the point you could not see the bolt heads on the big ends.

So pulled the pistons and the mains on the plus point the all the shell bearings and journels look really good virtually no detectable wear, Bores still have honing marks and no lip on the tops, pistons themselfs are really good. Piston rings are intact but worn,

Only bothered to measure number 4 both compression rings where in excess of 30thou end gap and the oil rings I nearly didnt have enough feeler gauges to measure the end gap. 50+thou.

So at the very least she will need a through clean, hone and a re-ring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
She will live again fully stripped everything today and measured everthing and its not to bad
Rings are shot, bores and pistons are very good and well within factory specs, mains and big ends journals are very good some very very light marks on the shells but the engine has done 100k+ and the wear looks to be what you would expect.

To be fair to the engine it was from a scrap car with unknown history then some idiot put a big cam, light flywheel and give it hell peaking at 7k.
I did give it a fresh oil and filter change but did neglect to pop the sump of and inspect the general condition, and if I did I would of seen the state of it and ended up rebuilding it, lucky the trackday didnt do to much damage.

I did cut the oil filter open to have a look see and was quite shocked I have never seen one this bad, the oil and filter had only covered 80miles 10 on the road 70 on track.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Crikey, although I had mine all-changed only a month after the previous had swapped a donor engine and changed everything, getting nearly as manky waste. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised on a 2001 diesel that had only 60k on it. Two years later of autoroutes+autovias, 6k changes (and maybe the Redex) and the outgoing items look practically the same as the replacements. The initial crud-flush stage.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts