Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have Opel Corsa C, 2002. It has been sitting on the parking lot for at least month because I didn't have time to repair the brakes and supporting arm. Now, those are done but the car won't start. Central locking didn't work either and all I got on the dashboard is the yellow engine light and the red airbag sign when I turned the key. Starter motor didn't even try. I tried again and then I started to hear clicking under the hood.

First, the clicking came from the fuse box(yellow) and it was relay R13 which is Ignition auxiliary circuits relay. It continued even after taking the key off for a while. Nothing else was working either. Even the inside fan is dead when you turn the key.

So, I started charging the battery with external charger and things got weird with it too. It started to charge but charging light started to flicker on the charger rapidly. It stabilized after a while and started again doing that. Then it just charged like normal. I let it charge for a while and again tried to start the car. Now, I could hear that the started motor kind of tried to turn but couldn't. My neighbour had a 450A portable starter so we tried that. Again, starter kind of tried to turn and nothing but the inside fan started to blow and central locking was working also. Now, the dashboard lights all flickered went crazy and there was clicking sounds from that fuse box again before it stabilized to that yellow engine light and airbag light.

I left the charger there and in the morning, charger said battery is full. Central locking was kind of dead... I had to open with key and I tried to start the car. Again, starter kind of tried to turn and now I could hear clicking again from the engine. This time, it was from that red area only and it stops as soon as key is taken off. I was about to lock the door with key but when I locked it, the central locking kind of remembered that it should have open those doors a while again and did. I tried to press the buttons on the key few times and it almost worked the locking system was lazy and almost opened the doors and after that I could only hear clicks inside the doors and after that nothing.

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
142 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad earth. Or a drain on the electrics. Check the earth and the one on the ecu. Main engine earth is on the gearbox housing bolts tho the engine. Also remove battery and pull up fuses in and out a few times on each. Same with the relays might be a bad connection. Should leave battery on charger for a good 6-8 hours. Hopefully that should sort it if not it’s going to be hard to find. Should be something simple but then again it could just be a corsa thing. Check ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is probably dead, or something is draining power constantly. I tried to start the car on the morning few times and gave up. Afternoon, I had a voltmeter and checked the battery. Voltage was like 5.6V. I plugged in a different charger this time and continued monitoring the voltage. It slowly rose from 5.6V and stayed in around 12.7V in couple of minutes. Again, central locking started to work perfectly and relays clicked like normally and warning sounds work. Battery is probably over 5 years old... but that doesn't explain why the car won't start with that 450A starter pack. It should be enough to start the motor even if the car battery itself is dead?

Anyway, I'll check those grounds next.

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
142 Posts
Starter packs are ok but they are limited. As assuming it’s one of them hand held ones. If your readings are right. At 5v around there. That’s 7v missing. Hand held are only good from 9 to 10 voltage min to start. We’re as the battery would take most of the charge to sustain its self. So would not start. Same for a trickle charger they need a minimum of 9 volts in battery for the charger to charge battery. In less you have a garage big box one on wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a hand held one and you were totally right. That thing couldn't supply enough power to revive the battery and start the car at the same time, nor could that cheap 4A charger in 4-6h. But then I got my Defa cable from winter storage, disconnected the defa coolant heater unit and plugged the car in. I installed Defa MultiCharger 1205 Flex last winter to the car, so I tried that one also. It's a 5A charger but it's smarter than that whatever brand that other one is and after about 6h of charging the battery, the car finally started without any problems. Everything works perfectly! I've never had this dead battery before and I didn't know it could do that kind of weird stuff. So, next I'll just buy a new battery... after I fix the rest of the mechanical problems with the car.... Oh, the pleasures of owning a Corsa but at least parts are cheap and it's easy to do a lot by yourself.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
142 Posts
At least it’s sorted now. I would say don’t get one of them solar panel trickle charger. Thought I would try one. Got one last year. When not driving much with all this going on. Have sun here all day. Said 2 amp charge. Thought that should be ok as not going anywhere for awhile. 3 months later went out to car and all worked but then go to start engine. Voltage dropped to 11v so would not recommend them at all. Checked it out with meter on nice sunny day and amps was not even 1amp. Think you must need to be 20 miles from the sun to get a good amps. Glad you all sorted now.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I've got a couple of those solars (the ~£15 ebay types). I bought one for the Modus in Malaga which was often left 2 months or so unattended with that immobiliser light blinking. I was pleased with it at the time; always returning to a car that started no problem, but the battery might have been very strong at that time and Malaga can fry eggs on the panels many months of the year. I quickly got one for my Combo Tour that spends winter in the UK unused and it was powerless (awful pun?) to prevent the battery going dead. I replaced the battery and used the solar again, in Apr-May, and it still drained but at least I could bring it back to life from the mains. At the moment, it's keeping the battery OK while it does nothing (Covid travel restrictions) but it has been fiercely sunny by UK June-July standards. March and April 2020 I couldn't use the Modus and the (probably quite old) battery flattened.

IMO, they're just about up to keeping up with the demands of an abandoned car for a few months in a good climate but I just remove the battery from the Combo completely, mains charge it and keep it warm indoors over the winter now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts