1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone else bought this?

http://www.crazyleds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=97&products_id=446

Its a circuitboard with a wire fitting into the standard bulb slot, with loads of super bright leds, and red + blue for the heat bit on the left

If you have I was just wondering how you have it all placed, I bought one and it doesn't light up the whole thing, did you find some way of putting it where it lights up everything, or I was thinking of buying another one to put in the other slot, anyone done that?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
28,336 Posts
so you saying you only got one and not two bulbs?! :?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
i dun suppose u got a pic of the wedges?

i had a similar problem when i replace mine, i found i had to use insulating tape to wrap around the base underneath the wire contacts to seperate them if u know what i mean. look at the ones u took out and the ones u got and compare the contact legs. i havnt got my car at the mo otherwise i would take photos to show u what i mean.

thats a pretty steep price for them mate

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive just finsished outside, been out for ages messin around with them

screw it ill go take a pic its way too hard to explain

·
Premium Member
28,336 Posts
well mine dont fitt prper.. but if yu mean your not getting a clean connection thats because you might need to bent the wires on the end to meet the connections inside the pannel!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is how they are lit at the moment. This is with the set of bright LEDS in one hole and a normal 5mm led in the other

you can just about make out the circuit board in these two pics

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yeah, it would light up everything definately if i had 2, but not sure if i wanna spend another 20 quid on some lights... i was askin if anyone else had these and set them up better?

one more

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi
i have to say...how the hell have you managed to fit them like this lol
did you read the sticker on the pack(the one that says email for instructions)
you have all the leds the wrong way round
please please email me at [email protected] for instructions and all will be clear
this kit lights the unit up perfect(if fitted as stated in the guide)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha... sorry

well that looks much better than the way I had it, Ill have a go at changing it now, thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not wishing to get in a war with CrazyLEDs but that's not a nice effect, the pic on the website shows 2 of the heater knob marker strip blue with the other one red. The fan symbol looks white but that may just be the pic, the bottom button is hardly illuminated at all and the pic showing the SMD strips positions looks to be taken using a single button unit and Trixta clearly has the 3 button version, not sure whether the placement of the strips is possible with the 3 button setup as the strips appear to go across the area they sit in.

For a solution to the unit illumination it's ok I suppose but I think could be improved on.

Must get a Corsa C heater unit and see what I can do with it, my daughter has climate control so I can't use hers.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a pic after setting up like that picture tht crazy posted, Yeah its a bit different because of the three buttons but they still fit...

Illumination isnt 100% perfect but its pretty good, better than it was. It may just be where ive put them but thats the best I could do after about an hour. I'll get a pic of the illumination when its dark, will probably look better then and after all that is when the lights will be on anyway!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do you remove the light bar? just curious as I can't see if and it must have one.

Buttons don't seem illuminated, you ok with that or would prefer them to be lit?

Gonna have to get me a heater unit and see what I can do with it, I like the challenge.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
light bar? That white bit of plastic that goes in front of the bulbs to spread the light? Yeah i left that off, thought it might be brighter. Its there in the first pictures though.

Yeah the way i had the leds originally lit up the buttons really well, looked cool. As i say I'll have to look tonight to really see how it looks

·
Registered
18 Posts
i await pics
it is better to remove unit and hot glue the bars in place to get light in on the small switches(a little trial and error)

oddjob
its easy to do a unit ready to plug and play but these are not always easy to come by
and for the price you pay second hand when they start to dry up on the market is not always worth it
this is an easy diy and cheap method of getting all over colour in the unit and a 10 times improvement over the standard 2 led method
no soldering no sending parts off to be converted and waiting god knows how long for a sealed unit that hides a multitude of sins
same as my electric window kit for 2.99
correct components and if you do it yourself you know the jobs being done right
also if anyone local wants the switches doing on there corsa i can offer a service while you wait for peanuts compared to ebay prices

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah I appreciate all those points. If I had access to some of the components you have I could do a plug and play setup for the heater unit using LEDs not SMDs, I particularly like the way you've powered the strips, I presume you've wired onto a 501 plug in block? same way you do your plug and play LEDs, most novel and very very clever.

If I had access to some of them I could do a lot better, I end up soldering direct to the PCB which is ok but not exactly plug and play.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i await pics
it is better to remove unit and hot glue the bars in place to get light in on the small switches(a little trial and error)
huh?

i used glue to stick the bars in place, but the large one is at the top, and the small ones on either side so not much really down at the bottom where the buttons are, do you mean angling them differently?

·
Registered
18 Posts
(you still have not emailed me for instructions!)
with the corsa c box hardly being flat you find you have to build up the glue in some areas before actually sticking them in
i have to say i have not seen results with a 3 switch set up and did an astra g one a few month ago but ended up doing it as a complete unit with seperate leds in each button(not really an easy option for diy on the astra)
i admit the buttons will never light up as bright as the rest of the unit but that was never intended as above the are dim with factory bulbs in
maybe if you pop the white plastic bulb cover back in this will help retract the light into the buttons more?? but i did not try this tbh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts